Bike Bag Shop -- Grocery, Shopping, Market PanniersBionX: Electrify Your BikeUtility Cycling - Use Your BicycleCygoLite Bike Lights: Engineered to ShineRideKick Electric Powered Bike TrailerXtracycle Bike Cargo Kits, Parts and AccessoriesCommuter Bike Store Fuji TahoePlanet Bike: Better bike products for a better worldChrome Bike Backpacks and Messenger BagsMiiR Bottles one4oneOrtlieb Bike Bags & PanniersBanjo Brothers Affordable Cycling Gear

I’ve fallen and I can’t get up!!!

by Moe

Check out the following excerpt from IMBA:

An injured mountain biker is suing the non-profit Oklahoma Earthbike Fellowship (OEF) claiming the biking club failed to properly maintain a trail bridge. The case appears to be a classic example of the type of lawsuit feared by land managers and mountain biking organizations worldwide.

In September, 2004 60-year old Jerry Reese sustained a severe spine injury when he fell off the side of a wooden bridge while mountain biking on the popular Bluff Creek Trail near Oklahoma City, Oklahoma. At the time of the accident, a deck board on the bridge was broken, but remained loosely in place. Reese alleges the broken board caused him to lose control of his bike and fall into a dry creek bed. The OEF built the bridge and had an informal agreement with Oklahoma City to perform regular volunteer maintenance on the trail. The case has a trial date of March 4, 2006.

Click Here to Keep Reading

My two Cents: As a mountain biker I know the inherent dangers of the sport. I really hate to read articles where some wussy boy eats it and tries to sue. It’s lame people like this dude that endanger the usage of some trails. To this dude, WTF, if you can’t stand the heat, get off the trails and ride around your block!!!

9 Responses to “I’ve fallen and I can’t get up!!!”

1. RL Policar says:

That’s the lamest thing I’ve ever heard. If I get hurt on the trails I don’t have anyone to blame but my self….

2. Moe says:

or the bike…

3. Royce says:

This “wussy boy” sustained serious injuries to his spine due to a badly maintained bridge. Don’t throw stones unless you have been severely injured due to the negligence of others. That could have been you going over the bridge at that particular time. This gentleman WAS a superb athlete prior to the accident.

4. Moe says:

This is the last part of the article:

‘The broken board was located near the beginning of the bridge, but Reese fell near the other end of the bridge’

I guess the court will decide….

5. RL Policar says:

What if someone slipped on some ice on the side walk? Who’s to blame, the person or nature or do we blame the city for building the sidewalk?

6. tom says:

I agree with Royce. If you had a severed spine because someone couldn’t meet their simple commitments then you’d be pissed to. You might, for example, never be able to ride again. Bikers are generally aware of the risks involved and don’t sue when things are obviously their fault and common sense usually prevails, but when others let you down… I just broke my leg and a I can tell you that someone who has survived a severed spine is definitely NOT a “wussy boy”. IMHO I think you’re being too harsh. He may have held on until the end of the bridge, wobbling and so on, only falling towards the end. Maybe he almost made it over?

7. tom says:

Also, that should be “too”, not “to” in the first sentence, and there’s an extra “a”. Stupid typos – probably the Coffee and Morphine mix ;)

8. Moe says:

The whole point of the post is not to make fun of the injury sustained by Mr. Reese. It is the lawsuit that is rather perplexing. Mr. Reese’s lawsuit endangers access to trails that are maintained on a volunteer basis. As a mountain biker, I would like to see trails open, and as a non-volunteer, I appreciate the effort of those people that work on such trails.

9. Wayne says:

Hmm i wonder how often MR. Reese did volunteer labor on that trail or ANY trail for that matter!!! yeah he wrecked, sorry to hear that. Perhaps if he had volunteered the spine he saved might have been his own!!! Stuff happens, yeah it sucks but closing trails to others is not going to help the situation, which is likely to happen. i mean i ran off a local bridge on my local trail just the other day, the bridge decking was slick and i basically slid off it into the creek, no i wasn’t hurt but if i was i certainly would not blame the bridge or the bridge builders. If I fall off the edge of a mountain while riding because I hit a loose rock whose fault is it? I have done that a few times too!! Its the risk we take when we ride, nuff said.