Ortlieb Bike Bags & PanniersPlanet Bike: Better bike products for a better worldBike Bag Shop -- Grocery, Shopping, Market PanniersCommuter Bike Store Fuji CambridgeBionX: Electrify Your BikeXtracycle Bike Cargo Kits, Parts and AccessoriesCygoLite Bike Lights: Engineered to ShineBanjo Brothers Affordable Cycling GearRideKick Electric Powered Bike TrailerMiiR Bottles one4oneChrome Bike Backpacks and Messenger BagsUtility Cycling - Use Your Bicycle

To Pod or Not to Pod…

by RL Policar

Just curious to know, how many of you commuters out there use an Ipod or other MP3 players while riding your bike?

Ipod Bike

Let us know by commenting.

10 Responses to “To Pod or Not to Pod…”

1. RL Policar says:

I personally use it when I am in a situation when I feel it would be safe. Or I just leave one ear bud in.

RL

2. Big Tommy C says:

I have on occasion, though not while commuting. I’ve been thinking about giving it a shot since I don’t seem to hear cars anyway…

3. Pete says:

I don’t own an iPod, but I wouldn’t use one for commuting. I would use one for longer trail rides if I was off the roads. But even then, I would keep the volume low and/or only one earbud in. Call me paranoid, but I like to hear what’s going on around me.

4. Moe says:

I use a combination of a cell phone/MP3 player (Kill 2 birds with 1 stone). I don’t ride with any music on during heavy traffic. I do use 1 earbud while riding the river trail or on low traffic conditions.

5. todd says:

Never. I mean, I don’t have one, but even if I did I wouldn’t use it on the bike. It’s the only time I can really unplug from everything and I cherish that.

6. Jay says:

todd hit the nail right on the head. If you “need” music while commuting try using a car to get to work.

7. Moe says:

Jay, how long is your commute by bike?

As a 20 mile commuter, music makes my commute less boring when I’m riding alone in the river trail.

Everyone is different, some of us prefer the quietness that our commute offers, some of us prefer to listen to music.

Having a ‘need’ for music is not an excuse to drive your car to work.

8. Roland Dobbins says:

Riding with earphones in one’s ears is illegal in many jurisdictions, and ought to be in all. I love my iPod, but riding while listening to one is insanely stupid; you are a danger both to yourself and to others if you do this.

9. jj says:

I saw a dude on our riverwalk once with a boombox cd player on his bike. We heard him for 1/4 mile before we saw him. I think that would be fun to commute with.

10. Ebraheem says:

Riding with headphones is an endangerment? Hardly. I’ve been riding about a year now listening to the news on the radio during my 15 mile commute. I pass through some of the busiest districts here in phoenix but listening to something does not instantaneously impair your ability to bike. If you’re not sensitive enough to notice another car in any direction then perhaps YOU have a problem. But to say something to the effect that listening to headphones is a huge endangerment is pretty much an exaggeration. There are worse things you can do (or not do) on a bike.