Bike Bag Shop -- Grocery, Shopping, Market PanniersElectric Bike ReportOrtlieb Bike Bags & PanniersBionX: Electrify Your BikeChrome Bike Backpacks and Messenger BagsBanjo Brothers Affordable Cycling GearCommuter Bike Store Breezer Greenway DX Hybrid Bike 24 Speed - 2011 ModelPlanet Bike: Better bike products for a better worldRideKick Electric Powered Bike TrailerMiiR Bottles one4oneXtracycle Bike Cargo Kits, Parts and AccessoriesCygoLite Bike Lights: Engineered to Shine

Would you stop?

by RL Policar

So you’re running late, and you’re biking to work. Up ahead you see another commuter broken down. Do you stop and offer your help or keep pedaling?

Broken

The Chariot Summer Sale - 2013

7 Responses to “Would you stop?”

1. RL Policar says:

I would only stop if he took me up on my offer for help.

2. Jay says:

Abosultely stop! I would want the chance to meet a fellow bike commuter. We are such a rare breed here in the energy gulping Midwest it would be a major event to see another bike commuter, let alone stumble upon one that happens to have the misfortune of mechanical problems!

3. Moe says:

I’m usually the ONLY commuter on my route. But if would ever happen, I would ask and if he/she needs help, and I would stop if help is needed.

4. Randy says:

Honestly, if I’m running late for work and see another commuter broke down on the side of the road… Good luck buddy! Happy to see you getting your bike on but work is work. That is my means of providing for my family. I will not jeopardize that for someone who did not do any preventive maintenance on their bike.

5. RL Policar says:

Randy’s got a point there. I do remember a time when I was on the trail and I offered some guy help. I thought it would only take a few minutes but it turned out to be 20. That basically cut 20 mins out of my own ride which meant I had to shorten my therapy session. Riding bikes is a means of therapy for me.

6. Nick James says:

I always offer. Usually people say they can handle it (NYC, go figure), but I was in need of help on my way home once, and another biker stopped for me, which I haven’t forgotten.

Breezed past a dude trying to change a flat on his car the other night, though. Sorry guy, no sympathy.

7. Treadly&Me says:

I always ask if they need help and stop if they do. But most commuters I meet are pretty self-sufficient and they almost always say that they’re OK.

On the few occasions that someone has wanted my help I’ve never been held up longer than a few minutes. Everyone I’ve helped has been concerned not to hold me up longer than necessary.

If I was stuck with Randy’s problem (fortunately I’m not) I’d still stop but say upfront that I could only spare two minutes or five minutes or whatever time I had available.

And don’t forget that not all breakdowns are due to lack of preventative maintenance – sometimes people just have shitty luck.