Planet Bike: Better bike products for a better worldXtracycle Bike Cargo Kits, Parts and AccessoriesChrome Bike Backpacks and Messenger BagsBanjo Brothers Affordable Cycling GearBionX: Electrify Your BikeRideKick Electric Powered Bike TrailerCygoLite Bike Lights: Engineered to ShineOrtlieb Bike Bags & PanniersBike Tech Shop - The Experts on Cycling with CircuitryElectric Bike ReportMiiR Bottles one4oneCommuter Bike Store Fuji Tahoe

Road Rage-Fight or Flight

by RL Policar

There were so many times where drivers drove me crazy! I can recall in a week of commuting that each time I got on my bike, there was an occasion where I was almost struck by a car. In fact it happend so much that I had come to expect it every time I got on my bike.
rage

Everytime some idiot got real close to hitting me, I’d yell and throw curses at the driver. Most of the time they felt stupid but there were some other times where the driver made it seem like I was in their way and the fact that he/she almost hit me was my fault.

rage2

So here’s the question of the day. Do you fight back if a motorist threatens you?

10 Responses to “Road Rage-Fight or Flight”

1. RL Policar says:

Since I’ve been training to be a cage fighter and have mad reflexes, I’ve always stood up for myself if a dumb motorist were to yell, threaten, or attempt to do any bodily harm.

2. Moe says:

Quoting the penguins from the movie ‘Madagascar’ (Yes, I have kids) “Just smile and wave boys, smile and wave”

The motorists on my route don’t really worry me as much as some of the shady people along the river trail. I always carry pepper spray on one of my rear pockets, just in case.

3. Jay says:

Totally disagree. If attacked, by all means…fight back. Otherwise, don’t try to tangle with 2 tons of steel on wheels. Your chances of winning are slim.

4. Don says:

I occasionally heat up a good temper in road incidents, but only if a motorist is actively hostile rather than clueless. When that happens, I tell myself the old spaghetti western classic line:

Don’t bring a knife to a gunfight.

Calms me right down. Bike = knife, car = gun. Odds are too steep for me, thanks. I’ll take my ego somewhere else to prove my mettle, rather than smear it on the pavement.

5. Nick James says:

Funny that you mention that, Don, since “don’t bring a bike to a carfight” has been my motto. Of course, any motorist that gets out of the car to confront a biker is going to learn my other motto: “don’t bring your face to a U-lock fight.”

That being said, I’ve never been confronted by a driver, and truthfully, I’d be more likely to ride away, heart pounding, than get into a struggle.

6. RL Policar says:

“don’t bring your face to a U-lock fight.” That’s classic! HAHAHAHA, you should make that into a T-Shirt.

7. Treadly&Me says:

It depends entirely on the circumstances, although in recent times I’ve become less aggro about being “wronged” by a motorist – I now expect the worst and sadly shake my head when it happens.

Of course, if someone does something particularly stupid or dangerous, I’ll let ‘em know – loudly and clearly. But it’s a funny thing – no one every politely thanks me for pointing out the error of their ways, for some reason they prefer to invite me to go fuck myself.

Anyway (not wanting to sound too cowardly) I usually have a good clear escape route before getting all shouty and abusive. It only takes a moment for someone hyped by their own road rage to do something we’ll both regret, so being somewhere else when they do means that at least I won’t regret it.

Yeah, nice one Nick – can I borrow that line?

8. Nick James says:

It’s all yours, Tread.

9. Dan says:

I used to yell and gesture, but it never got me anywhere except angry.

10. P says:

I avoid confrontation if at all possible, but when push comes to shove, any driver intentionally pointing their car towards me, is going to find bullets coming through their windshield.