Bike Tech Shop - The Experts on Cycling with CircuitryCommuter Bike Store Fuji CambridgeXtracycle Bike Cargo Kits, Parts and AccessoriesRideKick Electric Powered Bike TrailerCygoLite Bike Lights: Engineered to ShineBionX: Electrify Your BikeBanjo Brothers Affordable Cycling GearChrome Bike Backpacks and Messenger BagsPlanet Bike: Better bike products for a better worldMiiR Bottles one4oneOrtlieb Bike Bags & PanniersElectric Bike Report

Excuses, Excuses, Excuses

by Priscilla-Bike Princess

“I can’t do it. It is way too difficult. I’ll be late for work. I have to take the kids to school, yada, yada, yada.” Yah, this was me a few weeks ago, anything to avoid my husband prodding me to try commuting to work by bike.

It’s not that I don’t enjoy riding my bike, it just all seemed kind of overwhelming”it’s difficult enough as it is to try and get myself and three young children out the door on time in my car, let alone on bike! You have got to be crazy!

And then I filled up my tank..$50 later..at $3.24 a gallon”that was it. I had it. It pushed me over the edge. Enough already. That bike looked pretty darn good.

And so I stopped making excuses and started finding some solutions. Now that I have changed my perspective on it all, it really isn’t that difficult. I really have nothing to complain about. My job is just up the street, babysitter is just across the lawn and the kids actually LOVE riding their bikes to school. Sure, we have to take some extra time the night before. But since the kids really want to ride their bikes to school, they are all of a sudden so helpful.

This is my ride, the Ibex Trophy 770

Priscilla Queen of the Commute

They have had the best attitudes about getting ready for school. This morning my oldest daughter, 10yrs old, jumped out of bed with her clothes on already. I guess she figured she might as well just sleep in her clothes, skip the whole pajama thing. LOL.

And it helps to have a little more leverage on them now. Anytime they get out of line that is the first privilege I threaten to take away. Works every time!

So, it’s been two weeks now and I have to say I have really enjoyed it! After I drop off my 4 year old with the babysitter, I ride with my two other girls to their school and from there I am off to work. And my job couldn’t get any closer”about 4 miles round trip (be quiet!). :)

And I get to work with plenty of time to change and freshen up. Not that I work up a sweat or anything but I do suffer from a slight case of helmet head “need to work that out. So all in all it’s actually been A LOT of fun.
So what are the benefits? Well, my $50 of gas now lasts me about 2 weeks instead of 1 week. My kids are really easy to get out the door now (priceless). The ride really wakes me up so I don’t need that cup of coffee in the morning anymore. The exercise has REALLY helped. Anyone ever complained about rock hard calves??? And my husband thinks I am really cool (bonus). Oh yah, I am sure I am helping the environment and saving a creature or something great like that”..yah that’s all good too. :)

BOB Trailer Sale

25 Responses to “Excuses, Excuses, Excuses”

1. Randy says:

Glad to hear that your commuting by bike to work. It’s pretty cool how the kids love to ride to school as well. I’m sure that’s a major plus. Keep it up!

2. Moe says:

You Rock!!!! I’m glad that you decided to ride your bike to work. I know people think we are nuts riding our bikes to work, but they are the ones that are missing out.

3. Jay says:

Impressive! Maybe enlist RL in the evenings to help the kids get prepared for the next day…will help save even more time for you! :)

4. Willie says:

I don’t see why RL couldn’t ride his bike at work during lunch time. Lately he’s been grubbing on any food laying around the office. He even had me buy him French Fries drenched in gravy.

5. RL Policar says:

Shuuut up Willie! You weren’t supposed to say anything!

6. Alberto says:

Very cool! I’ve done it for a month now and I can’t believe I’m enjoying it as much as I am. Have to start thinking about the kids and how they might do their own commute too.
    Something to definately think about. Thanks for sharing.

7. Nick says:

I used to be a kid. I remember when I was about 13 and still too young to drive, one of my neighbors sold me his old road bike. I don’t know what brand it was, but it was pale blue with drops and suicide levers, probably a 21-speed. I remember getting around on that thing during the summer and thinking, “this is so much cooler than having my mom drive me around.” Independence is really good for kids, and I think getting them used to the idea of self-sufficiency at a young age has lasting effects.

8. Thanks for the encouragement…was very needed this morning as there was much drama in our household today (not difficult to achieve amongst 4 girls in the house and a whiny dog)…wheeeww it was tough to get out the door….but eventually that ride helped relieve all that stress. And thanks for the heads up “Willie”…keep an eye on that husband of mine..we are supposed to be “dieting” together and I don’t recall that on the menu of choices??? LOL.

9. Bill says:

Congratulations on your choice to bicycle to work. It’s the only way to go unless you can walk. Soon you will find that the cars that raced away from you at the last light will be waiting when you get to the next light. But, please be carefull. I’ve been cycling to and from work for 35 years. It’s dangerous. I’ve been hit twice; one was hit and run. I was only scraped and bruised in both accidents. Different routes, streets, and intersections have personalities. You will find that people do certain things repeatedly at certain places. You can learn to avoid bad intersections or where and how to ride that is safest. Certain situations in traffic create forseeable risks. Learn those situations and avoid them. And, even though a motorist may be looking in your direction, don’t assume they see you.

10. Nick says:

Bill’s “don’t assume they see you” is the best advice possible. I was once told to ride as though I were invisible, and I’ve kept it in mind ever since.

11. RL Policar says:

Or you can get one of those day-glow jackets or vests. I know Moe has a nice one which was featured in the article yesterday.

12. Moe says:

It doesn’t matter if you are wearing a loud jacket or lights, for some stupid reason motorists get X-ray vision and see through you.

13. Treadly & Me says:

Yay Priscilla! There are plenty of excuses NOT to ride but not many real reasons.

Keep it up.

14. Lani says:

Congratulations on a setting a good example to the girls. I am in the planning stages of riding my bike to work as well. Can you hack it?!? Yup! I got a bike for my birthday this past weekend. I have to retrain myself though. It has been quite a long time since I’ve ridden one. Funny that the boys are the ones who have been bugging us to ride their bikes to school. It’s going to be quite a lifestyle change. So, what are your suggestions about helmet head and pre-work hygiene?

15. RL Policar says:

Thats great Lani! You won’t regret it, you’ll find that it gets easier to do as time goes by.

16. Travis says:

Well i got my wheels again, after getting checked out by a Air Force doctor. I have just shipped my car. The guys at work asked me “why dont you rent a car?” I didnt take their advice. I have saved over 350 dollars a week in gas and rental. Its not really that far… about 12 Miles each way but most of it is hills so its beautiful.

Travis

17. That’s awesome Lani! You’re going to love it! The boys too.
    Helmet head? Hmm…I’ve been sportin a nice pony tail to aid with that..but that has been the hardest part..I considered bringing my flat iron with me…but just something else to carry. Anybody know of good products out there? It’s the moisture in the air that gets my hair in a frizz. And I make sure to bring my Bath and Body works body spray…love that stuff…How long will your commute be?

18. Nick says:

Cut your hair! The Natalie Portman look is so hot right now.

19. Travis says:

Me and my girlfriend both use styling wax. It keeps our hair easy to handle.

Travis

20. Randy says:

Lani, glad to hear about the choice you’ve made. Walking around with a helmet head sure does suck. There are several suggestions people would give. Some are good while some are just asinine. As for me, I wait to fix my hair until I get to work. Hair gel and a brush would take care of the problem. No sense on styling it twice. Do what sounds practical and what would fit your needs the most. Basically, it’s your hair. Just make it “Ghetto Fabolus”.

21. Lani says:

Princess, I’ll be commuting as far as you are. Getting to work (I imagine) will be a breeze. But going home will be quite a challenge because it is all uphill, no mercy! Yikes!

22. RL Policar says:

I have an electric bike kit you can use, but that would be robbing you of the joys and benefits of riding a bike…

23. IrwinsKyle says:

Excuses Well Maybe not ! Let me tell you my schedule weekdays up at 730 am to commute by 810am work 900am to 700pm commute 10 miles home nap 2nd job
    sorter at UPS at 1030pm (drive car tooo dark and late) 300am home and in bed by 330am sleep till 730am time to start over.16 years perfect attendance both places.
    I love bikes and the time i get to ride to work.P.S. my wife and co-workers think im crazy.

24. Marc Wadaga says:

I’ve got it pretty good. I have a shower at work and I can leave basic necesities there. I assume you don’t have a shower, most companies are not that progressive…how about bike parking? Anyway, Do you have a desk, locker, or some other place where you could leave your iron, pit-stick, etc.? That is always helpful. Another suggestion that I have heard of (never tried) is to use baby wipes to freshen up. Finally, my wife and I use crystal deodorant. It doesn’t do anything for perspiration, but I can go a day or two without stinking up the place if I don’t have it available.