MiiR Bottles one4oneChrome Bike Backpacks and Messenger BagsCommuter Bike Store Fuji CambridgeBike Bag Shop -- Grocery, Shopping, Market PanniersRideKick Electric Powered Bike TrailerCygoLite Bike Lights: Engineered to ShinePlanet Bike: Better bike products for a better worldXtracycle Bike Cargo Kits, Parts and AccessoriesBanjo Brothers Affordable Cycling GearElectric Bike ReportBionX: Electrify Your BikeOrtlieb Bike Bags & Panniers

To Shave or Not to Shave!

by RL Policar

Do commuters need to shave their legs?

Shaved Stanley

Nasty!
Hairy Harry

Ortlieb Sale Aug 2014 Slot 2

23 Responses to “To Shave or Not to Shave!”

1. Nick says:

RL, where exactly are you going with this? I’m worried.

2. Moe says:

Nasty? I would agree if the legs were from a female rider. Embrace your manhood and stop shaving. It does nothing for aerodynamics and why would you shave your legs if you are a commuter?

3. Nick says:

I wonder how many guys are drawn to cycling as an excuse to shave their legs and wear tights. I wonder if painted fingernails might provide more protection in a crash, or if lipstick might not prevent chapping and keep you more hydrated. I’ll bet mascara helps to keep the dust and sun out of your eyes, too.

4. Moe says:

What cracks me up is guys wearing pink jerseys AND pink tights.

5. Jay says:

Commuters shave their legs? Obviously…not just No…but HELL NO! I don’t care what sport you’re talking about, cycling, swimming, Rugby…men…don’t do something like shaving your legs and dishonor your manhood. Sheesh!

6. RL Policar says:

I shave my legs. Yeah so whut? I know its more of a mental thing. But when I let my hair grow, I felt slower….yup Its true!

I’ve been shaving my legs now for….mmm about a year or something like that. It’s been helpful when you ride through a trail full of bugs, or when you munch it, its easier to clean the wound.

But geez fellas, don’t be so insecure….its just hair…..”manhood”….bwahahahahaha!

7. Chris says:

No way. I aim to be the for the least aerodynamic commuter…pannier bags, disc brakes, and an upright riding position.

8. Nick says:

You brought it up, RL, and you do it because you like it, not because it makes you a better cyclist. Admit it. You decided to shave your legs, and now you use reasons like “easy wound cleaning” to defend your decision.

Road rash sucks, hairy legs or not. I really don’t see a regular guy crashing and burning enough times to finally say “dammit, I have no interest in smooth legs whatsoever, but I am so sick of having to clean hairy wounds! That’s it; I’m shaving my legs!”

Don’t wimp out, RL. Stand proud! Announce it to the world! Yell, “I like the look and feel of my smooth, shorn man-legs, and I don’t have to justify it to anyone!” Just, you know, don’t expect the rest of us to join you or anything.

9. RL Policar says:

Ok ok I admit it! I shave my legs because I LIKE IT!

There, you happy?!

Man…all of a sudden all the burden of hiding the reason has lifted….Wow thanks Nick! This has been very theraputic.

10. Warren says:

I shave my legs b/c my wife likes it.

11. Jay says:

RL, I’m worried about you…first the topic of cycling shorts, now shaving legs…what’s next? I don’t even want to go down that road. Here in corn-fed country the only we men consider shaving is our faces and that’s just so we’re not mistaken for being Amish!

12. Jay says:

Warren…would you wear make-up if your wife liked it too? Just joking…a lot to say for keeping the little lady happy. Just rememer, “Happy Wife, Happy Life”.

13. Moe says:

Hey RL, just don’t tell them about your Fuscia tights….

14. RL Policar says:

Don’t knock it until you try it.
    But I’m not alone in my shaven legs! Warren does it, that makes him cool in my book.

15. RL Policar says:

You mean the ones you let me borrow?

16. Moe says:

Nope, the ones that came with your ‘Venus’ razor blade!!!

17. charinko says:

“don’t do something like shaving your legs and dishoner your manhood. Sheesh!”
    Snap out of it and grow up!!

18. I think RL can shave his legs and still feel like a man becuase he has some amazing calves! And I’m not just saying that becuase I am the wife…have you seen those bad boys?!
    No need to worry about his manhood with those legs. Hands off ladies he is taken!!

19. Randy says:

Shaving your legs… I don’t see the big deal. If you expect your significant other to do it, why can’t you do it for her? I don’t shave my legs. That doesn’t mean that I’m more of a man than the one who does. It’s called personal courtesy or for those of you without a partner, professional courtesy. Shave your boys while you’re at it. Chicks dig it!

20. Jay says:

Wow, you think you know people after reading their comments on a blog and then find out half of the men shave their legs! I guess we is a bit backward raght here in duh midwest. I’ll step out of my box for a while and realize the norms of flyover country are not exactly shared on the left and right coasts. Go ahead and shave your legs for all I care…I prefer my body to have a visual “difference” to the female body that goes beyond the anatomy.

21. Paul says:

>Shave your boys while you’re at it. Chicks dig it!

But I thought RL had daughters. . .

22. RL Policar says:

Jay,

“half of the men shave their legs!” Umm from what I recall, I’m the only one in CBB that shave’s their legs other than Priscilla.

But dude, if you have legs like mine, you wouldn’t be ashamed to show them off.