Xtracycle Bike Cargo Kits, Parts and AccessoriesUtility Cycling - Use Your BicycleBanjo Brothers Affordable Cycling GearPlanet Bike: Better bike products for a better worldCygoLite Bike Lights: Engineered to ShineOrtlieb Bike Bags & PanniersBionX: Electrify Your BikeBike Tech Shop - The Experts on Cycling with CircuitryMiiR Bottles one4oneRideKick Electric Powered Bike TrailerCommuter Bike Store Breezer Greenway DX Hybrid Bike 24 Speed - 2011 ModelChrome Bike Backpacks and Messenger Bags

To Shave or Not to Shave!

by RL Policar

Do commuters need to shave their legs?

Shaved Stanley

Nasty!
Hairy Harry

23 Responses to “To Shave or Not to Shave!”

1. Nick says:

RL, where exactly are you going with this? I’m worried.

2. Moe says:

Nasty? I would agree if the legs were from a female rider. Embrace your manhood and stop shaving. It does nothing for aerodynamics and why would you shave your legs if you are a commuter?

3. Nick says:

I wonder how many guys are drawn to cycling as an excuse to shave their legs and wear tights. I wonder if painted fingernails might provide more protection in a crash, or if lipstick might not prevent chapping and keep you more hydrated. I’ll bet mascara helps to keep the dust and sun out of your eyes, too.

4. Moe says:

What cracks me up is guys wearing pink jerseys AND pink tights.

5. Jay says:

Commuters shave their legs? Obviously…not just No…but HELL NO! I don’t care what sport you’re talking about, cycling, swimming, Rugby…men…don’t do something like shaving your legs and dishonor your manhood. Sheesh!

6. RL Policar says:

I shave my legs. Yeah so whut? I know its more of a mental thing. But when I let my hair grow, I felt slower….yup Its true!

I’ve been shaving my legs now for….mmm about a year or something like that. It’s been helpful when you ride through a trail full of bugs, or when you munch it, its easier to clean the wound.

But geez fellas, don’t be so insecure….its just hair…..”manhood”….bwahahahahaha!

7. Chris says:

No way. I aim to be the for the least aerodynamic commuter…pannier bags, disc brakes, and an upright riding position.

8. Nick says:

You brought it up, RL, and you do it because you like it, not because it makes you a better cyclist. Admit it. You decided to shave your legs, and now you use reasons like “easy wound cleaning” to defend your decision.

Road rash sucks, hairy legs or not. I really don’t see a regular guy crashing and burning enough times to finally say “dammit, I have no interest in smooth legs whatsoever, but I am so sick of having to clean hairy wounds! That’s it; I’m shaving my legs!”

Don’t wimp out, RL. Stand proud! Announce it to the world! Yell, “I like the look and feel of my smooth, shorn man-legs, and I don’t have to justify it to anyone!” Just, you know, don’t expect the rest of us to join you or anything.

9. RL Policar says:

Ok ok I admit it! I shave my legs because I LIKE IT!

There, you happy?!

Man…all of a sudden all the burden of hiding the reason has lifted….Wow thanks Nick! This has been very theraputic.

10. Warren says:

I shave my legs b/c my wife likes it.

11. Jay says:

RL, I’m worried about you…first the topic of cycling shorts, now shaving legs…what’s next? I don’t even want to go down that road. Here in corn-fed country the only we men consider shaving is our faces and that’s just so we’re not mistaken for being Amish!

12. Jay says:

Warren…would you wear make-up if your wife liked it too? Just joking…a lot to say for keeping the little lady happy. Just rememer, “Happy Wife, Happy Life”.

13. Moe says:

Hey RL, just don’t tell them about your Fuscia tights….

14. RL Policar says:

Don’t knock it until you try it.
    But I’m not alone in my shaven legs! Warren does it, that makes him cool in my book.

15. RL Policar says:

You mean the ones you let me borrow?

16. Moe says:

Nope, the ones that came with your ‘Venus’ razor blade!!!

17. charinko says:

“don’t do something like shaving your legs and dishoner your manhood. Sheesh!”
    Snap out of it and grow up!!

18. I think RL can shave his legs and still feel like a man becuase he has some amazing calves! And I’m not just saying that becuase I am the wife…have you seen those bad boys?!
    No need to worry about his manhood with those legs. Hands off ladies he is taken!!

19. Randy says:

Shaving your legs… I don’t see the big deal. If you expect your significant other to do it, why can’t you do it for her? I don’t shave my legs. That doesn’t mean that I’m more of a man than the one who does. It’s called personal courtesy or for those of you without a partner, professional courtesy. Shave your boys while you’re at it. Chicks dig it!

20. Jay says:

Wow, you think you know people after reading their comments on a blog and then find out half of the men shave their legs! I guess we is a bit backward raght here in duh midwest. I’ll step out of my box for a while and realize the norms of flyover country are not exactly shared on the left and right coasts. Go ahead and shave your legs for all I care…I prefer my body to have a visual “difference” to the female body that goes beyond the anatomy.

21. Paul says:

>Shave your boys while you’re at it. Chicks dig it!

But I thought RL had daughters. . .

22. RL Policar says:

Jay,

“half of the men shave their legs!” Umm from what I recall, I’m the only one in CBB that shave’s their legs other than Priscilla.

But dude, if you have legs like mine, you wouldn’t be ashamed to show them off.