Planet Bike: Better bike products for a better worldCommuter Bike Store Fuji CambridgeBionX: Electrify Your BikeXtracycle Bike Cargo Kits, Parts and AccessoriesElectric Bike ReportBanjo Brothers Affordable Cycling GearBike Bag Shop -- Grocery, Shopping, Market PanniersChrome Bike Backpacks and Messenger BagsCygoLite Bike Lights: Engineered to ShineRideKick Electric Powered Bike TrailerOrtlieb Bike Bags & PanniersMiiR Bottles one4one

Bicycles Make Better Dads

by RL Policar

Would it be safe to assume that dads that take their kids bike riding are better dads than the ones that don’t?

Here’s my biased theory, you know I’m biased based on the fact that I take my own kids bike riding all the time. In fact Priscilla drops them off at school by bike and I pick them up by bike when school’s out. Ok so here’s what I think.

I think that dads that take their kids biking genuinely care about their kids in a deeper level. I say this because when a dad takes their kids bike riding, it takes time to prepare. We have to make sure the tires are inflated, the trailer is properly connected and typically when I ride with the girls, when ever we approach a street, I go first making sure that there are no cars that could hit them. Then of course, there’s the gentle coaching of teaching your kids how to ride safely while you’re out in the streets.

dad3

Don’t get me wrong, the dads that play catch, go to baseball games and do other activities are also spending quality time with their kids. But when you’re out riding bikes with your youngin’ it’s just different. Sure some may argue that you can spend better time with your kids in other activities. But look at the lessons you’re teaching the children by bike riding:

• Traffic Laws
  • Bicycle Safety
  • Take Time to Enjoy the Scenery
  • Excercise
  • Independence
  • Confidence
  • Discipline

I’m sure there are more to be listed, but for the most part, biking is great for the whole family. Not only does it tire out your kids, but it also gives the family to enjoy an activity that has been around for over a hundred years.

RL and Alyssa

11 Responses to “Bicycles Make Better Dads”

1. Nick says:

Not to mention that kids are going to be active whether you want them to or not. Put ‘em in the backseat for a drive and you’ve got a fidgeting competition, but on a bike, they’re doing something, and their focus is on riding. On a bike ride, the parent is in a position to encourage the child, rather than telling them to shut up or calm down when they’re acting up in the car. So if you incorporate the bike ride into a family trip to the beach or wherever, all the better.

2. RL Policar says:

Great point Nick!

3. Moe says:

I can’t really say that bikes make me a better dad. What I can say is that my kids make me a better bike rider. I don’t take unnecessary risks and my goal is always to make it home in one piece.

I do agree with Nick, bikes do make better kids, however, as they become older, the ‘stigma’ of being a bike geek will deter jr high and high schoolers from riding their bike to school.

4. Jay says:

Since the weather finally turned warm here in nordic northern Indiana, my wife and I have had the kids on several bike trips…in fact my wife was bummed last night because a long line of thunderstorms prevented us from taking our evening ride together. We have an 18 month old son and a 4 month old daughter. Our son rides in the child seat on my wife’s bike and I pull our daughter in the trailer. Since she’s still very young we actually put her in an infant car seat and buckle the car seat into the trailer. Both kids love it, our son of course loves to go fast and resorts to poking mommy’s backside to encourage her to go fast. He loves it when mom passes dad and sissy. He never cries in the bike seat, nor has our daughter cried in the trailer. They both love it, we love it, it is economical, great exercise, great family time together..the list goes on. So I agree 100% that Dads (and Moms) who take their kids biking are better parents. We’re giving up couch potato time to spend interactive time with the kids…a great thing.

5. Not sure that it makes you a better dad..but does make for great relationship builing and bonding. Have you ever seen a kid not smiling on a trailer or having a good time out riding with the family? Happy parents and happy kids. We have pretty young kids and I hope they will grow up loving to bike. Anybody have kids that started young and have grown to continue enjoying regular bike rides?

6. RL Policar says:

I was that kid. I loved biking as kid, did road cycling from the age of 12-15…then High School hit…driving was more cool. But grew up and went back bicycling.

7. A new generation of bike commuters?

Yeah, cycling is a great family activity and you can’t beat parental example as a way to teach stuff to kids. Is it a vehicle for broader social change? Maybe. But on one level, who cares?…

8. Marc Wadaga says:

Hey, ya know what else is cool about bringing kids along for the ride? I like to take my 2 daughters on errand trips. Yesterday we rode to get Lucy’s (14 months) blood work done. My wife thought I was nuts for doing a potentially stressfull task by bike. Last week we rode to the zoo & had a ball in the trailer, at the zoo, and out for lunch! Am I a better Dad? I hope so!

9. Trey says:

Well I’m not a father but I agree…. Dads that take their kids biking are awesome fathers. Mine started taking me mountain biking after I got out of rehab. I gained a lot of weight and I was really depressed and I all ever did when I got out was watch tv and play videogames everyday.

Being a bike enthusiast when he was younger he just surprised me one day and bought 2 hardtails and started taking me biking daily.. First we were only riding flats and when I got better and stronger we started going uphills and downhills. Biking with my dad not only brought us closer together it also saved me from demons of my past.

So to all the other dads and moms out there who go through all the time and trouble to take their kids biking.. My respect and kudos goes to all of you.

10. [...] A while ago I wrote an article called “Bicycles Make Better Dads.” We had a pretty good response from our readers. In fact another site linked to the article and discussed it on their blog. [...]

11. Rick says:

I am that Dad that did all that with my boys, hauled them around everywere. I think they loved it cuz they still talk about it.There 17 and 21 now. But at the time they were 3 and 7.
    There were many adventures. I remember taking them down to the store 3 miles away and going into the store and getting them a donut and juice and sitting on the sidewalk watching the people going by and talking about what they wanted to do that day.
    The only thing I do regret is not taking more picture of moments like that one.
    So I think your right on the money I’d do it all over again in a minute.