Banjo Brothers Affordable Cycling GearCygoLite Bike Lights: Engineered to ShinePlanet Bike: Better bike products for a better worldUtility Cycling - Use Your BicycleCommuter Bike Store Fuji TahoeBionX: Electrify Your BikeBike Bag Shop -- Grocery, Shopping, Market PanniersChrome Bike Backpacks and Messenger BagsXtracycle Bike Cargo Kits, Parts and AccessoriesRideKick Electric Powered Bike TrailerOrtlieb Bike Bags & PanniersMiiR Bottles one4one

Screaming Like A Little Girl

by RL Policar
So there I was mountain biking my usual Thursday night ride at the Fullerton Loop. As I was approaching Laguna Lake, I noticed something  really weird. First I said to myself, “dang that’s a huge piece of poop!” But then this poop started to move! I quickly realized that it wasn’t poop, it was a rattlesnake!

As I tried to move out of its way my front tire slipped causing it to hit the rattler and making me fall off my bike. By that time I’m screaming like a little girl trying to get away from it. It started to shake its rattle, but as soon as it did, I was able to gain footing and pedal away as fast as I can.

Man that has to be one of the scariest things that has happend to me while bike riding.

What about you? Any stories of dogs, people, cars or…whatever?

10 Responses to “Screaming Like A Little Girl”

1. Randy says:

That I must admit is a scary situation. But just imagine if it was a giant pile of poop and you run over it causing you to fall. FRIGHTENING! Glad to hear that your OK though Lil Bro.

2. I thought my ride to work could be scary but I have to admit a snake is a new one on me.

I recently started video blogging my cycle commute across Shanghai (http://web.mac.com/jrobson1)

There IS a potential snake hazard here as they occasionally escape from restaurants :_)

3. Chris says:

I almost hit a groundhog yesterday, but he would’ve just been a harmless speedbump. I saw one dead squirrel and one dead cat, though!

Ahh, nature at its best!

4. eddy says:

In spite of the well-known compact we’re supposed to have with them, I once ran over a pigeon in Central Park. I wasn’t even going that fast. It was probably one of those slow-witted junkie pigeons.

5. Lani says:

A rattlesnake?!? Yikes!!! I’m glad to hear that even though you screamed louder than how your girls would have screamed, you still pedalled away safely.

6. Hi Dad! This is your favorite daughter ,next time yousee a rattlesnake,please, stay away from it!

7. Charles says:

Hey Favorite Daughter. Thanks for giving your Dad those screaming lessons.

Nothing making me scream yet. Usually I figure what it is when it’s too late to scream. Excepting the one time I saw that box of nails that had fallen of a truck.

8. Sgt Chad says:

EVERY time I went riding in the woods last summer, I ran across a Cottonmouth on the trail, but I never ran over one. On one occasion, a young black bear and I nearly scared each other to death.

9. Little Willie says:

RL (just like it sounds), that’s not the first time we, here at work, heard you scream like a little girl. The time you dropped the “In n Out” hamburger on you pretty pink shirt you let out a good little scream.

10. [...] hest hills and heck, it will even help you get away from a [...]