BionX: Electrify Your BikeMiiR Bottles one4onePlanet Bike: Better bike products for a better worldRideKick Electric Powered Bike TrailerBanjo Brothers Affordable Cycling GearCommuter Bike Store Fuji TahoeOrtlieb Bike Bags & PanniersUtility Cycling - Use Your BicycleCygoLite Bike Lights: Engineered to ShineBike Bag Shop -- Grocery, Shopping, Market PanniersChrome Bike Backpacks and Messenger BagsBlog Action DayXtracycle Bike Cargo Kits, Parts and Accessories

Working Hard or Hardly Working?

by RL Policar

Hard Working

I’m doing a survey….

Curious to know what kind of jobs do bicycle commuters have and how many miles do you commute a day?

Please leave a comment.

42 Responses to “Working Hard or Hardly Working?”

1. RL Policar says:

I just started doing marketing, 34 miles a day.

2. Varroa says:

I commute 20 miles a day and I work as a Scientist for the Canadian Government.

3. Ebee says:

ASU electrical engineering student. 30 miles.

4. Carl S says:

Information Technologies. 20 miles.

5. Jay says:

Financial Advisor – 12 miles per day.

6. Shanyn says:

University Library IT Support- 14 miles.

7. I think I see a pattern here….lots of brains…RL used to be an IT guy too. Anyhow..I am a Media Buyer and I typically commute about 4 miles ..tee hee…tee hee…:) Can’t help it my job is sooo close..geez!

8. Moe says:

Database programmer, 20-22 miles round trip.

9. Carl S says:

Priscilla,

My home is close to work also… the direct route is about 3 miles one way, but I’m just starting to have fun by the time I get to the office via that route. So I increased it to 10 :D

10. John says:

10 miles round trip and I’m an electrical engineer.

11. Lenny says:

Garbageman in Medford,Oregon and ride 18mi. round trip. Kind of tough last week when it was 105* in the afternoon ride home.

12. It’s 3.5 miles each way to work, but I try to stretch it to 5 (8.05km). I work as a library tech. in a middle school.

13. Us Army, Airborne Paratrooper, War Fighter. I just had to make it sound a little bit more interesting. Everyone’s job seems so cool. We got a bunch of rocket scientists among us. Anyway, 8 miles only…

14. Chris says:

Network Engineer, 25 miles roundtrip.

15. RL Policar says:

Randy…Being in a Sgt. in the Army for an Airborn Division is one tough job….tougher than what most of us have!

And its cool you jump out of airplanes as your job, you shoot guns, drive in Humvee’s, wear camo all the time, get to yell at people, and great benefits!

16. Hi.

I’m just finishing my college degree in Applied Chemistry – Biotechnology.

Currently i have 2 routes for commuting.

One is to get to the lab where i’m doing my trainingship (i don’t know is this is the right word) and it’s about 17 km long.

The other is to get to school to study for exams at the library, and it’s about 20 km long.

I’m still not using my bike everyday, usually just twice a week, normally i use my car to go everywhere, but it’s a good start, and those days of 3 hours of pedalling for those 40 km are definitly my favorites! :-D

17. eddy says:

Finishing up a Ph.D. in history, currently toiling as an archival bibliographer. About 10 miles per day.

18. Nick says:

15 miles/day for work alone, and I work in photo equipment rentals.

19. Dan says:

I.T. Manager

7 miles round trip, although I try to make it 10-12.

20. Derek says:

No brains here, I just look at (and take) the pictures :) photographer
    I can’t bike commute to my jobs most of the time, but I commute with my wife to her work and back into town to commute back when she gets off. 6 miles

21. Dougii says:

IT Consultant

(Computer Systems Expert, Solaris Mostly)

11 Mile return trip. About 800 feet in elevation each way. Hilly Halifax, Nova Scotia. Yes, I wear out chains frequently.

22. Rick R says:

15 miles a day with a 40 mile night ride on Wednesdays. I am a Master Automotive Technician.

23. Jon says:

Engineering Sales – 19 miles round trip.

24. Kevin says:

Auto Mechanic, don’t laugh I’ve worked with a fair share of Techs who have always commuted by alternative means, and I myself have had some pretty creative ones.

3 miles one way.

25. Chris says:

marketing director, 40 mile commute

26. bksmith says:

13 mile round trip. Civil Engineering Tech_CAD Draftsman

27. Soho, 20Km commute.

28. zeke says:

Inventory Manager at a bike shop – my commute is 30ish round trip – the ride home is always turns out longer than the ride to work –
    Kevin, I was a service writer in a auto shop for a while…coworkers and customers always thought I was nuts riding the 15 miles one way to work.
    Lots of intresting jobs listed here, good survey!

29. steve says:

Unix IT Consultant, 25-30km a day, in Halifax, Nova Scotia. Chains and cassettes get chewed up pretty quickly round here, as Dougii said.

30. Jeff says:

Electrical Engineer, 37 miles per day.

31. Gordon says:

Sales for a computer software company. My wife and I work at the same company but I’m just starting to ride 3 times a week (20 miles roundtrip). Bought a Kona Smoke and now looking for something for her (we’re roadies on the weekend)

32. Nate says:

IT Manager

~30 miles round trip by my preferred route. I average about 3x a week, commuting my clothing via car the days I don’t ride :)

I started this last year and am totally hooked. I feel so good on the days I ride that the driving days are a little depressing. Glad to see lots of others do, too!

33. MikeOnABike says:

Software/Systems Engineer – 13 mi. round trip. Started riding this spring after a many year hiatus. Dropped 20 lbs over the summer and lowered my cholesterol and blood sugar. Having a blast riding to work in the dark.

34. Dube says:

Hello

Very interesting survey of cyclists!

I have been gearing myself up for cycling to work that could be around 22-23 miles round trip. Not started yet, but plan to do step by step say twice a week initially.
    Just wondering if any thing should be in mind when doing this.

Dube

35. Scooby says:

Yes very interesting indeed.

I was a little doubtful bout riding my bike 2 work. i will be doing 18-19miles round trip and im a mailman. so i usually walk 6-8miles for my job delivering mail.

I hav never done road cycling especially long-distances b4.bt i was a novice mountain biker. up to 6-9miles per trip.

Anybody have any advice for me?

THanks again!

36. Charmaine says:

Legal Secretary, 32 miles roundtrip, 5 days a week. Best way to get to work – no stress!

37. Angie says:

guys,
    i need your advise….

I currently commute 12 miles to work return, 5 times a week. The 6 miles each way take me about 25 minutes. Unfortunately I will have to move further away and my daily commute distance will increase to 26 miles a day.

I am slightly worries that the additional distance will be too much for me and that I might be either extremely tired during the day. What was your experience when you started to commute those long distances? Did you adjust quickly to it?

Thank you!

38. Charmaine says:

Hi Angie – currently my commute is 32 miles roundtrip. My previous commute was about 18 or so miles. I felt the same way you did when I faced my new, longer commute. It does take longer, of course, but it was neat to meet the challenge. At first, it took me a little while to get used to the longer commute…sometimes I’d be pretty pooped by the time I got home. Also, the longer commute meant that I was out in the weather longer (be it hot, cold, rainy, windy, snowy, etc.), so I had to make sure I had the right clothing for whatever weather I needed to endure. It definitely makes you a stronger rider. :) I make sure I get to bed early enough so I have enough sleep to carry me through the day. I don’t get sleepy during the day though – so you probably won’t have to worry about that. Make sure you eat enough during the day and right before you get on your bike. I always carry an “emergency snack” in my bag (like a Cliff Bar), because sometimes, I run out of energy a few miles from home – and a snack helps to make it home…especially on the cold days. The weather seems to eat up whatever energy you have. But soon, your body will be used to the longer commute. Let me know if you have any other questions, if I can help you.
    Charmaine

39. Angie says:

Hello Charmaine,

Thank you so much for your feedback; it is very encouraging to read how you coped with the additional miles. I will definitely try to cycle to work; I just love my cycle routine too much to give up as yet. It’s a great way to relief stress after a busy day at work. I will see this as a challenge and will keep in mind that not only this is fun and healthy but it is great for my legs and my bum too” ; ) Thank you!

40. amack says:

i think this is whack , and i feel so so so sorry for the people who had to do this . i think its bullshit and i wouldnt have done this shit

41. [...] 12345678910111213141516171819202122232425262728293031323334353637383940414243444546474849505152535455Ford Focus Mk1 Wheels, 08 Ford Focus Parts Brake PadsFord Focus Mk1 Wheels, 08 Ford Focus Parts Brake Padsford focus car mat s90 body kit ttl autofocus sd sdhc memory card opel astra g ford focus infocus w240 dlp projector 2000 ford focus troubleshooting ford focus freon 2000 used ford focus review focus producer 9th wonder explorer taillight ford focus d ford b b focus b projector headlights ford focus rs sell autotest ford focus 1.4 2003 ford focus headlight replacement focus family music focusing screen replacement rebel xt focus clearance technology ford focus headlamp bulb major infocus lp130 lamp china 2002 ford focus wiki infocus screenplay 7200 home projector ford focus fog lamp autofocus nikon d40 review part car used ford focus ford focus uk focus part buy ford truck parts entourage headlight bulb ford focus infocus 5700 calibration infocus dlp 820 2002 ford focus engine focus rent ford focus svt thermostat housing focus radiator plastic tanks steel casing 5800 infocus screenplay ask proxima sigma zoom super wide angle 18 50mm f 3.5 5.6 dc focusing lens ford focus 1 2 3 listings focus sale norwich used ford lp250 b bulb b lp130 infocus lp280 ford focus check engine light ford focus performance engines bee 2008 b b ford b focus bumper k30 used g20 ford focus front bumper ford focus discount ford focus rs youtube infocus certified the lp500 and lp530 sp lamp 017 f3 part finder autofocus ford focus euro parts ford focus b 12 2001 ford focus parts catalytic converter focus smart supplement focus 8500 x50 1993 silhouette accessories ford focus eurostar aftermarket projector headlights ford focus precio ford focus 2003 focus body parts lp250 b bulb b lp350 infocus lp130 voyager mpv used ford focus c30 crash tests 2009 ford focus infocus in76 dlp projector ford focus rs used cars sale ford focus duratec turbo suv discount ford focus 4wd 2001 ford focus headlight assembly infocus lp250 bee bulb b location speed sensor 2001 ford focus free focus infocus lp250 b bulb b ask proxima focus on the family james dobson used ford focus 2.0 mountain dew amp focus ford focus 1 discount front wheel drive sunroof ford focus 2000 ford focus power steering pump infocusgirls bulb ford focus s sedan 2000 b b focus b tail b b light b fender flares ford focus pt futures contract sale sheffield used ford focus ford focus titanium 136 altima radiator support ford focus focus grammar interactive 3 ford focus cracked thermostat housing 1994 ford focus se 2009 ford focus fuel economy ford focus aftermarket seats lowering springs 08 ford focus parts brake pads m6 lamp infocus nikon 55 200 mm f4 5.6 autofocus focus part brake pads ford focus toyota camry ford focus speedometer not working ford focus hyundai accent ford focus co uk ford focus alloy wheel centre caps passport focus refurbished x50 infocus 240 review ford focus complete turbo kit focus engine infocus lp335 projector focus part before ford focus mk1 wheels Ford Gran Torino | 735i Rims Bmw | C25 C2500 Pickup | 330ci Hid Xenon | Lg 265 Drivers | [...]

42. Juan Seratti says:

I’ve had my LG Xenon to the final year, but I only recently discovered this website, Up till now, I in no way genuinely looked into applying the telephone as something but a voice and SMS device, but while it was out for repair I had been utilizing a Motorola KRZR as a back-up and I truly hated it. I’m also a former employee of Rogers Wireless, where I had been a member with the Network Operations group; they are the ones responsible to the inter/intra-site transport, switching and base-station network. Though we under no circumstances got to play with as well very much consumer hardware, I do know for a truth there is ‘un-branded’ firmware accessible for every single phone on the market. Previous to a carrier decides to carry any phone they get a base model from your manufacturer that they demo and put as a result of tests – finding a single of these demo units would almost certainly be simpler stated than performed nonetheless. Most from the time, they just get passed of to pals or family members members who do not even understand that the phone is unlocked and unbranded.