Planet Bike: Better bike products for a better worldBike Tech Shop - The Experts on Cycling with CircuitryElectric Bike ReportBionX: Electrify Your BikeBanjo Brothers Affordable Cycling GearMiiR Bottles one4oneChrome Bike Backpacks and Messenger BagsXtracycle Bike Cargo Kits, Parts and AccessoriesRideKick Electric Powered Bike TrailerCygoLite Bike Lights: Engineered to ShineCommuter Bike Store Breezer Greenway DX Hybrid Bike 24 Speed - 2011 ModelOrtlieb Bike Bags & Panniers

Ruben’s Ticket For Not Stopping

by Randy Policar

Is this right?! Our buddy Ruben got a ticket for not putting his feet down at a stop.

I never stop at the stop signs” after all, we can stop pretty much on a dime, but yesterday, a cop on his gas guzzling BMW bike in Davis, CA, gave me a ticket for not stopping completely at a stop sign” I saw him, and just because of that, I stopped but was told you need to put both feet on the ground or ticket” shouldn’t they be catching terrorists or something?

Has anyone heard of this? If you have any information about this that might help our friend Ruben please post a comment for everyone to see. Your information could help prevent others from getting a ticket.

6 Responses to “Ruben’s Ticket For Not Stopping”

1. Moe says:

He needs to look up the violation code # and look it up on the internet. If the section code does not mention anything about putting both feet on the ground, he’ll win. Since I use clipless pedals, I rarely put both feet down when I stop. This cop is just a bike hater.

2. Morto says:

What a load of BS.

I suppose cars have to switch off their engines pull on the E-Brake at a stop sign too?

3. Warren says:

Wow! That’s harsh! How many drivers have you ever seen open their car doors and put their feet down when they stop? That’s got to be one of the stupidest things I’ve heard! I’d be in trouble if I lived in Davis, CA! I track stand at every light/stop sign on my commute.

4. HH says:

I am not a lawyer or anything, but I would suggest to contest the ticket. I have heard of people who contest such tickets and show the judge that he/she can track stand at stops. As long as you can show that you can completely stop, it is contestable.

I have heard of requiring 1 foot down on the ground, but 2? Wow, this is definitely wrong.

Lastly, I think cycling community gets a bad rep because so many cyclists don’t abide by law. I have seen so many cyclist blatently disregard red lights, blow through stop signs, etc. As citizens who wants to see that cycling gets more accepted as a form of commuting, we need to follow all the appropriate laws and show the public that cyclists can be law abiding.

5. martylane says:

I just searched the California Code and didn’t find anything re: both feet. Doesn’t mean it’s not there, though. Here’s the Code: http://california.lp.findlaw.com/ca01_codes/index.html#castatecode I guess it depends on what the ticket says. If it says something like “did not come to complete stop” and omits any mention of both feet, then he probably wouldn’t win. But, what do I know? All I know is failure to stop completely is $103 in Chico, which isn’t far from Davis. At least, that’s what they charged me. Cops hide behind bushes here, too, laying a trap for the unsuspecting cyclist, and then make up some story about “keeping out of the hot, hot, sun.” I won’t win any friends here saying this, but I don’t doubt that the cops need to crack down on scofflaw cyclists in Davis, same as they do here in Chico. You gotta understand how popular cycling is in towns like Davis and Chico — at times, both towns resemble Amsterdam there are so many cyclists, which is great! But, especially when Univ classes are in session, there is bike after bike riding the wrong way in bike lanes, blowing through stop lights/signs, whatever. Dangerous situation.

6. Natalie says:

Interesting that he said you must put both feet down… I was pulled over by a bike cop and given a $170 ticket for not stopping at the stop sign (which I just received my fine in the mail today). However, the bike cop told me, “you just need to slow down, you don’t need to put your foot down”. This is screwy… and I think that it is criminal to be fining people, many of whom are students and cannot afford such steep fines. Besides, where is the education on the “rules” of biking? The university never informed me, I do not carry along a biking license that I have applied for… you ride by the rules of common sense and courtesy for fellow people on the road. I am so upset by this. If anyone has any advice as to how I and others in similar situation can fight this, please do tell! :D