Xtracycle Bike Cargo Kits, Parts and AccessoriesCygoLite Bike Lights: Engineered to ShinePlanet Bike: Better bike products for a better worldChrome Bike Backpacks and Messenger BagsCommuter Bike Store Fuji TahoeBanjo Brothers Affordable Cycling GearRideKick Electric Powered Bike TrailerOrtlieb Bike Bags & PanniersBionX: Electrify Your BikeBike Bag Shop -- Grocery, Shopping, Market PanniersMiiR Bottles one4oneElectric Bike Report

Bicycles Make Better Dads, They really do!

by RL Policar

A while ago I wrote an article called “Bicycles Make Better Dads.” We had a pretty good response from our readers. In fact another site linked to the article and discussed it on their blog.

I recently received a comment from “Trey” stating that he agreed with me and he shared his story on how he is having great experiences with his dad and bicycles.

Well I’m not a father but I agree”. Dads that take their kids biking are awesome fathers. Mine started taking me mountain biking after I got out of rehab. I gained a lot of weight and I was really depressed and I all ever did when I got out was watch tv and play videogames everyday.

Being a bike enthusiast when he was younger he just surprised me one day and bought 2 hardtails and started taking me biking daily.. First we were only riding flats and when I got better and stronger we started going uphills and downhills. Biking with my dad not only brought us closer together it also saved me from demons of my past.

So to all the other dads and moms out there who go through all the time and trouble to take their kids biking.. My respect and kudos goes to all of you.

Thanks for sharing Trey.

8 Responses to “Bicycles Make Better Dads, They really do!”

1. Thanks for sharing Trey. Sounds like you have a GREAT Dad!

2. Trey says:

Hi Randy,

I really like your site and reading your article about “bicycles making better dads” just made me realize even more how lucky I am to have a “bike dad” because not everybody does. All I know is no amount of videogames nor computer hardware could have fixed me.

He is my hero. His efforts and the time he spent with me biking just kept lifting me up and until now I still love bicycling with my folks.. Even trails that are not really that pretty becomes a perfect scene if you travel with your dad/mom/love ones. (I bet your kids know what I’m talking about) The feeling is just awesome.

Someday if ever I do get married and have kids of my own I intend to pass on to them what my dad has blessed and taught me.

3. Warren T says:

Bicycles make better kids too… One of my boys decided he didn’t want to take his ADD meds this year, so I made a deal with him that if he stayed on top of his school work it was fine with me. This year started out so-so and then he decided he’d ride his bike to school when I left on my morning commute. Now, when he rides his bike, he arrives at school having burned off some extra energy and he is focusing on his tasks better. He still has his days, mostly when he doesn’t ride his bike.

4. Nick says:

Bicycles just seem to make better people. I think humans need a good deal of daily exercise in order to operate at an optimal level, both metally and physically, and using a bicycle for transportation is a great way to fit exercise into a busy life without it being a chore. I’m not surprised that people who have incorporated it into their lives have been able to overcome everything from weight gain and depression to attention disorders.

My wife and I are travelling back to New Hampshire for Thanksgiving this week, and we bought a trunk-mounted bike rack so that we can bring our bikes with us on the car we’re borrowing for the 5-hour trip. The thought of being without our bikes, even for four days, was too much for us. Plus, how else are we going to work off all that food, right?

One thing that still surprises me: I used to get sick at least two or three times each year — usually just head and chest colds — but, since I began using my bike to get to work, I have not gotten sick, even when my wife does. Of course, I’ve accumulated more scars in that time than I had my entire life up to that point…

5. Warren T says:

Nick, check this post regarding bicycling = less illness. Cool article from a fellow bike commuter / blogger:

6. Nick says:

Thanks, Warren! I couldn’t tell if it was because of the exercise, or just because I wasn’t crammed into close quarters with hundreds of sneezing and sniffling people every morning and night on the subway. Maybe it’s both, but it’s good to see other data out there to suggest that bicycling boosts your immune system.

7. Alberto says:

Biking is great. It is a gift. I have to thank my kids for getting back to cycling last year. I hadn’t been on a bike for over 20 years but having to go with them – to teach them (imagine that!) – taught me how to relate to my children in a totally different way. I also found and find more time from my schedule and have curtailed my other activities so I could spend more time biking with my kids. I just love it. My neighbors tell me that I seem to be having such a great time and I tell them: what’s stopping you?

8. I totally agree, cycling improves the lives of anyone who is seriously involved in the activity.

Of course, the title should be “bicycling makes better dads” or “bicycles make dads better”. Because otherwise you’re saying that bikes are better dads than humans are.

“_