Ortlieb Bike Bags & PanniersXtracycle Bike Cargo Kits, Parts and AccessoriesChrome Bike Backpacks and Messenger BagsCygoLite Bike Lights: Engineered to ShinePlanet Bike: Better bike products for a better worldBionX: Electrify Your BikeMiiR Bottles one4oneElectric Bike ReportRideKick Electric Powered Bike TrailerCommuter Bike Store Fuji CambridgeBanjo Brothers Affordable Cycling GearBike Bag Shop -- Grocery, Shopping, Market Panniers

Much Respect Due

by RL Policar

Ok ok…I have way MORE respect for all you guys that commute in the bitter cold. This morning it got pretty cold here in Southern California, 35 degrees. Hey! That’s bitter cold for us! So I decided to go for a ride…BRRR! My ears, fingers and what ever else sticks out was about to fall off! MAN IT WAS FREEZING! With every breath I took in, my lungs felt like it was going to freeze. My throat was dry since I was breathing through my mouth because my nose was super runny….EEEWWW!

Anyway, I just wanted to say that the folks that ride in snow, rain, and sleet…you know who you are, the folks like Nick James and Jay (corn-fed) and whom ever else I missed….

“I have the utmost respect for you guys!”

The Chariot Summer Sale - 2013

9 Responses to “Much Respect Due”

1. Nick says:

I bet if you lived here, you would brave it. It was in the high 30s during my ride in this morning, and it was pretty pleasant. You do have to adjust to breathing cold air, but when it’s really bad, a face mask helps with that. Besides that, just keep the cold bits covered, and keep wiping your nose.

I want to give a proper shout-out to Jason for recommending putting plastic bags in my shoes. I had never done that before, and now I use them constantly. I cut out the corners of two zip-loc bags, and they do a great job keeping my toes warm. Thanks, Jason.

2. JiMCi says:

Truly, I find it quite nice to ride in this kind of weather. It’s in the summer, when the temperature reaches in the high eighties and above, that I start having trouble. Way too hot! ;-)

3. Matt says:

I don’t mind commuting in the cold. I get to work pretty fired up and exhilirated.

Besides, you can alwas put more layers on; in the summer there’s only so much you can remove before you start risking severe road rash or a ticket for public indecency…

4. Greg! says:

I find that the secrets to cold-weather riding are:

1) Motivation (which I’m severely lacking this winter)
    2) Proper attire. If you have the right clothes, any weather is riding weather.

5. eddy says:

I’d be careful about the plastic bag socks. If you’re out for a long time, the sweat on your toes could freeze. That might be bad.

As for commuting in the cold, I agree, it’s great. No getting to work with a layer of slme.

6. Corn Fed Jay says:

I agree, cold weather riding is all about having the will to overcome the weather. Reading about year round Canadian bike commuters is what inspired me to try it. I just relocated to northern Michigan from northern Indiana..soooo the weather is colder, however I now work out of a home office so my commute is a walk down the stairs to my basement. I’ll admit I find it hard to find motivation to just ride anyway if I don’t HAVE to ride to get to work.

7. Steve says:

I find the darkness to be more of a hindrance than the cold; tough to see all the potholes even with a super bright light. Once I figured out the best attire for Chicago conditions my bike rides have been pretty comfortable.

8. Paul Of N.W GA says:

When ever the weather is bad, be it rain or 10 degrees or what ever, when I get to work they make a commit about me riding, I ask them “what did people do before cars?” and it makes me feel alive.

Although being car-free, I am just under 5,000 miles this year : (

9. Rob R. says:

There’s no bad weather, just bad clothes. Good lighting helps also.