Commuter Bike Store Breezer Uptown InfinityBionX: Electrify Your BikeMiiR Bottles one4oneElectric Bike ReportChrome Bike Backpacks and Messenger BagsBanjo Brothers Affordable Cycling GearOrtlieb Bike Bags & PanniersPlanet Bike: Better bike products for a better worldCygoLite Bike Lights: Engineered to ShineBike Tech Shop - The Experts on Cycling with CircuitryXtracycle Bike Cargo Kits, Parts and AccessoriesRideKick Electric Powered Bike Trailer

Stretching before the commute

by Commute by Bike

Most people would agree that stretching before any exercise is a good idea. I’m not sure how many of us do it, but if you are interested in a pretty comprehensive list of stretches to do before a bike ride, check out the Bike Source.

So do you stretch before the morning commute?

8 Responses to “Stretching before the commute”

1. HH says:

While I do not have reference sources handy, but recent studies have shown that stretching BEFORE an exercise is NOT beneficial. In fact, it could be bad because you are likely to stretch a cold muscle. The most important thing before exercising is warming up… that means ride easy and let the muscles gradually warm up to the rigors of the exercise.

From what I understand, the current science shows that stretching AFTER the exercise IS still consider beneficial, which should be done after a cool down period.

2. Val says:

Haven’t been keeping up with the studies, but I have to stretch, or I become immobile. On long rides (70 miles or more) I try to go through a 5 minute stretching routine at every rest stop, which works much better than sitting down immediately and then trying to get back on the bike five or ten minutes later, as I see so many riders do. For commuting, I don’t do anything special, but I always stretch thoroughly before breakfast, and again before retiring. My philosophy is that I want to be able to touch my toes, etc. when I am in my 80s, and the best way to insure that is to do it every day between now and then. Use it or lose it, right?

I hop on the bike and go. No stretching beforehand.

HH is right — stretching before exercise has no effect on injury. Stretch afterwards to decrease pain and soreness.

4. Al says:

I’m like Fritz, hop and go – even during the severe cold of the past couple days.

5. Ahd Child says:

I hop and go so fast that I don’t even have time to spell “hop” correctly

6. Warren T says:

I’d never even considered it. Since I start my morning ride accompanying my 11 year old to his school, I consider that first half mile to be my warm up; he averages only around 8 MPH. Once he is at school I turn and burn.

“turn and burn” — heh. Different context than I’m accustomed to hearing the phrase.