Xtracycle Bike Cargo Kits, Parts and AccessoriesChrome Bike Backpacks and Messenger BagsRideKick Electric Powered Bike TrailerBionX: Electrify Your BikeOrtlieb Bike Bags & PanniersMiiR Bottles one4oneBike Bag Shop -- Grocery, Shopping, Market PanniersBanjo Brothers Affordable Cycling GearCommuter Bike Store Fuji TahoeCygoLite Bike Lights: Engineered to ShinePlanet Bike: Better bike products for a better worldUtility Cycling - Use Your Bicycle

Perfect bike commute distance

by Richard Masoner

Get it off my chest

Originally uploaded by richardmasoner.

This is a section of Ivy Drive in Menlo Park, CA.

I was cycling east on this street this morning when I saw a car back out into the street. I stopped behind this car while the driver dug in her purse for something. After half a minute, she finally got going again, pulled up to the school parking lot across the street and parked in the teacher parking. The total distance she drove was 100 yards.

Weather is sunny and about 45°F / 7°C, so not only is this a perfect distance, the weather was perfect too. Not only that, you don’t even need a bike for this distance. The red line is the route this motorist drove to work this morning.

No wonder we’re all so fat.

11 Responses to “Perfect bike commute distance”

1. Warren T says:

Yours beats the one I was going to post this afternoon. Yesterday I used the bike computer to measure the distance I saw one dad drive to pick up his child — 0.2 miles or 352 yards. I just don’t get it.

2. John says:

There was a child’s birthday part at my neighbors last weekend. One family drove three houses up the street, and one family drove “two” big old SUV’s 5 houses down the street.

Then they had problems parking, because of the people from out of, and across town.

Everyone was under 35. None were fat. (yet).

3. Morto says:

That’s crazy! It’s not even like she could use the argument that she might need the car during the day to run errands, etc – she could just walk home and get it!

4. Paul of N.W. GA says:

I once saw a woman on a very beautiful day get into her BIG pick-up to drive across a quite road to a store (less than 75 feet) to get a soda; she even left the motor running. And yes she needed to walk (more like run) ten miles each day while she still could….

Global warming is real…. our children are going to pay for our car-culture.
    The other night, I had to work at the store in the next town (a whole 3 miles). One worker laughed at me because I put on my bike vest before I got on the 5 lane road with a 45mph limit, a mile long climb and no street lights or shoulders and I am not about to ride on a sidewalk (shoulders are dangerous enough). Rossville has a few more bike commuters than Fort Oglethorpe with maybe 2 or 3 others out of thousands who bike the three miles between towns. When I work at the store in my town, it’s a hair over a mile. I don’t always use my bike”.. Sometimes I walk”. ; )

Does anyone know why when I am riding on a shoulder motorist move over as close the line sometimes over towards me? At least 30 percent does this. Maybe if I can find out why, I can do something to make them keep their distance from me.

If anyone is wondering, I still ride on Battlefield parkway. I keep my self as visible as possible but I don’t think any of the police have seen me yet : (

5. Shawn Kielty says:

There’s no way to explain to someone trying to find a parking spot near the door at the Costco, why they should just grab the first spot they see. Especially as you’re riding by.

6. World’s shortest commute by car…

Surely this is some kind of misunderstanding………

7. mike says:

That’s just crazy, and sad to think that car culture is so deeply ingrained in the psyche that (at least some) people don’t think to walk these short distances, especially role models like teachers. To be fair, it’s difficult to be sure the driver hadn’t made an intermediate stop where Richard observed her before moving on to a final destination at the school.
    These people aren’t fat (yet) because they drive to the gym every week to ride excercise bikes…

8. Jerome says:

That’s insane! It’s amazing how we have become so brain washed in North America that you need to drive everywhere! It starts as a young child, and Kudos to all of those who ride to work, and are teaching their children of it. My son asks me every day when I get home from work if I rode my bike. He’s almost 3. It makes me hope that he will think of bikes as a primary mode of transportation. I think that many people who already rely too heavily on vehicles will never change their mind, but those of us who are commited, will start to influence the younger generation possibly more than our own.

I also ride by a school every day, and yesterday I was riding home for lunch (-12 C) and some kids pointed their fingers at me and started laughing! At first I was a little miffed and wanted to tune those little pukes (serenity now….). But after a while I thought about it, at least they saw someone riding their bike, when most would say it’s too cold out. You never konw the influence that you may have on others. Even if they do laugh at you. Truth be told, when I was a kid, I’d have probably laughed too.

Ride on!!

9. Zoran says:

I also ride by a school every day, and yesterday I was riding home for lunch (-12 C) and some kids pointed their fingers at me and started laughing! At first I was a little miffed and wanted to tune those little pukes (serenity now”.). But after a while I thought about it, at least they saw someone riding their bike, when most would say it’s too cold out. You never konw the influence that you may have on others. Even if they do laugh at you. Truth be told, when I was a kid, I’d have probably laughed too.

Ride on!!

How to Play Roulette Online
    The Various Roulette Bets and Rules
    Roulette and the House Edge
    Roulette Rules and Information

10. I think the few more bike in town will have some much gilltering so we need more bikes in the site.I think that many people who already rely too heavily on vehicles will never change their mind. the bike play important role in the life.