Commuter Bike Store Fuji CambridgePlanet Bike: Better bike products for a better worldMiiR Bottles one4oneXtracycle Bike Cargo Kits, Parts and AccessoriesChrome Bike Backpacks and Messenger BagsRideKick Electric Powered Bike TrailerOrtlieb Bike Bags & PanniersUtility Cycling - Use Your BicycleCygoLite Bike Lights: Engineered to ShineBionX: Electrify Your BikeBike Tech Shop - The Experts on Cycling with CircuitryBanjo Brothers Affordable Cycling Gear

Commuting 101: Cleaning Up Your Act

by Warren T

You’ve made the decision; you’re getting on the bike and riding to work. There are some employers who will welcome you with shower facilities, lockers and the like. There are many more who will not. In the event your employer falls in the later category, you can still find ways to get cleaned up once you get to work.

A while back Fritz reviewed some wonderful citrus wipes. Wipes work wonders; but being the frugal guy I am, I’ve gotten by with a container of bargain brand wipes in my desk drawer.

Bargain Wipes

Once I’ve had around 10 minutes to cool down a bit, I grab a couple wipes, the shirt and other clothes I brought along in the backpack, the slacks I keep in another desk drawer and head to the handicap stall in the men’s room. A few paper towels to dry off and I’m good to go – almost.

Let’s face it; the shirt that just got peeled off is bound to be fairly sweaty. My shirt gets hung up to dry on the rack that my computers are in. No one has really figured out how I do it yet but the back of the rack is pretty much out of site and rather than running the risk of offending my co-workers, I take along the cologne inserts that seem to come by the dozen with the Macy’s ad every week (I did mention the frugal thing, didn’t I?). I pop one of those open and hang it there with the damp shirt. Viola! I’m fresh as a daisy and rarin’ to get the day started.

Kimbo has managed to co-opt the coat rack at work for her wardrobe; check her post HERE for more ideas about storing clothing in advance for your commute.

Wardrobe

How about some of you others out there? What pointers can you give to new commuters?

57 Responses to “Commuting 101: Cleaning Up Your Act”

1. Robert says:

Baby wipes work great, but unless you want to smell like a baby make sure to get the non-scented variety.

Cart in a small bottle of Frebreze fabric spray for riding clothes — a couple of spritzes and presto! No more smell.

In my pre-lockerroom/shower days, I used Febreze for the clothes. I also brought in a washcloth with some soap+aftershave in a ziplock bag and used that for my sink bath. Wipe down, rinse the cloth and twist to dry and wipe the soap off with that.

When I was in college I worked at a steakhouse in Texas one summer (read very hot and very sweaty). I hosed myself off behind the building and changed in the restroom.

3. "C" says:

I prefer body sprays to cologne. They can be especially refreshing if you store them in fridge. I’m not sure if they make many body sprays for men, but you could probably find a variety of hydrosols to your liking at herbal stores or websites.

4. Jeremiah says:

I realize this isn’t always an option, and frequently simply doesn’t work with the weather, but I’ve found taking the ride to work at an easy pace, or taking special attention to cooling down toward the end of your commute can greatly reduce the sweating that occurs as soon as you get off the bike. For me, the hardest part is realizing that after you’re “warmed up” and cruising easily, cooling down is more than just taking it easy.

5. Maria says:

My situation is tough, because my work does not have a shower. Cleaning up the body is easy, but I have long hair which is hard to clean up. I just wipe my head down with a wet washcloth, then comb it and tie it with a hairtie into a ponytail.

6. ZenBear says:

I too have long hair — no shower, either. I have been using washcloth with witch hazel to wipe down ‘sweaty parts’. I usually keep my hair in a braid and dab the scalp with the witch hazel — viola sweat and smell be gone. We have a large wheelchair accessible restroom with changing table I use in the mornings with my change of clothing, etc. I often wear skirts as they roll up the best into my panniers… quite the transformation. My co-workeers are still amazed the difference 15 minutes can make ;-)

7. Rule 56 says:

I don’t have access to shower facilities so I’ve been using the baby wipes for about a year and I think they work great. I add about 1/4 to 1/2 a cup of rubbing alcohol to each new refill for antibacterial purposes. The alcohol also has a slight cooling effect. My ride is just over 11 miles round trip, so I don’t know how well this solution would work if the commute was significantly longer.

8. Jami says:

I keep a jar of Noxema Acne Wipes in my desk at work. Washing with soap really dries my face out, and baby wipes don’t make me feel “clean” enough. Additionally, my skin is very acne prone. So I rinse the sweat off, dry with a couple paper towels, and then use a wipe on my face and shoulder where my messenger bag sits. I also keep some hair product, a hair brush, a mini sample bottle of perfume, deoderant, a baggy of baby wipes for grime, cuticle oil, body spray, enough clean clothes for the week, and some plastic grocery store bags. I bring in my new clothes on Monday, and as they get dirty, I take them home in the plastic bags. That way during the week, I only have to carry in minimal things, like lunch and snacks, ID, phone, wallet, makeup, and a small knitting project to tork on over my lunch break.

9. Toby says:

Does anyone have any folding / storage advice for keeping your work clothes unwrinkled in your pack on the way to work?

10. Adam says:

This summer will be my fourth commuting by bike in Texas.

The best solution I’ve found is to shower before my morning ride, using antibacterial soap, and of course, wear clean bike clothes.

It’s not the sweat itself that causes odor, so much as the sweat reacting with bacteria on your body and clothes. So if you get yourself and your clothes as clean as possible before your ride, you have a window of “clean sweating” that will hopefully last until you get to work.

I don’t have a shower at my office, so I stand outside for a few minutes and use my water bottle to dump water on my head until I’m cooled off sufficiently, then I go inside and change clothes. My bike clothes are drenched from the “shower,” but I hang them up and they’re dry in time for the ride home.

11. Eric says:

Short, short hair. Being a man, it’s a great thing to shave my head very close. In fact, I “manscape” most of my body hair, which is common among cyclists, I think. Utilize synthetic clothing that has wicking properties that can also keep you much cooler. The sink bath is key, and there are many good “field bath” products out there designed with the camper in mind, but they work wonderfully for the commuting cyclists as well. As for clothing, you just have to plan ahead. I used to devote one day a week where I would drive my car in and bring in clothing. I love Brooks Brothers and LL Bean because they sell stuff that you can cram into a back pack and will NOT get wrinkled. It’s great. Many clothing manufacturers produce a line of clothing that is wrinkle free. BUT… it’s always a sacrifice, right? So worth it, though.

12. bergerandfries says:

Talc powder to absorb sweat in areas you don’t want fungus….

13. joel says:

When my schedule is flexible I make my commute in the cool early morning hours. I have had to ask permission to start my day earlier than my coworkers but it is worth it. There can be a big difference between 6am and 8am. Otherwise baby wipes for the body, and anywhere that is dry and warm to dry out the clothes like exhaust ports on computers, and on wetter days I have hung my clothes and shoes off the back of the breakroom fridge. Also for a while I was eating a lot of hardboiled eggs as a post commute refuel, til a coworker said my office started to smell like eggs.

14. Tyler says:

I wear moisture-wicking t-shirt and underwear (the most sweaty areas) and then rinse both in the sink with a little oxyclean. Wring and hang out to dry; they’re both dry in about 2 hours and are clean and fresh for the ride home.

15. SteveO' says:

Wake up, shower.
    Neatly roll shirt and then pants ensuring there are no wrinkles. Put these in pannier 1.
    Belt, socks and underwear are stuffed into work shoes (pannier 2).
    Throw on riding clothes and head out.
    Into the bathroom at work I use a synthetic swim/camp towel and some peppermint oil soap. I can have a great wipe down in the stall like this.
    I keep my riding clothes in my desk with a box of baking soda and paper towels.
    Once at home I wash my riding cloths after each ride using a sport anti-funk soap. Roll clothes in a towel to remove any moisture, hang to dry.
    Sleep.
    Repeat.

16. MarkB says:

My tips:

1. have a wash bag at work including deodrant, after shave / perfume, wipes etc

2. keep things like shoes / sweaters at work if you can, to avoid carrying too much stuff when cycling

3. always have a 10 – 15 min cool down if you can. i find once you’ve got to work the sweating starts.

4. hang a magic tree around your neck

5. hang cycling clothes on back of door or similar

17. percy dailey says:

I get to Work 45 min early to wash up drink water and rest before i staat my 8 hour day.

18. Drew says:

After a couple of us began biking to work (and keeping work clothes in the office into which we changed in the restroom), my boss insisted that coming into the office in anything other than full business attire was verboten.

Since I live in Washington, DC and riding in wool trousers and a necktie between April and October would mean showing up in a sweaty mess, I had no choice but to ride in bike clothes and carry my work clothes with me–but still had to have somewhere to shower and change.

I eventually decided to get a membership at the gym nearby so that I could use the showers and locker room there. It’s sort of ironic, really, that I ride my bike so that I get a workout every day, and I joined a gym so that I can ride my bike–yet I never actually work out at the gym.

Damn boss–sometimes I swear he watches “The Office” to get management advice.

19. Drew II says:

I usually get changed at Starbucks or Wendy’s in a stall before work. I sell cars and ride my bike to work lol

20. ohio biker says:

Toby asked …

Does anyone have any folding / storage advice for keeping your
    work clothes unwrinkled in your pack on the way to work?

What I would do, is at home start with a fresh clean towel,
    and place it on a clean dry work surface, then put the
    shirt and slacks (if any) neatly atop the towel. I would
    fold the arms of the shirt neatly, similar to how it may have
    originally come from the store, to reduce its width.
    (It need not be made any narrower than the slacks.)
    Then I roll the whole thing up, starting at the bottom,
    working my way to the top (neck and slacks waist).
    I would not roll too tightly but deliberately try to keep
    things a bit loose. I might have underwear and socks
    stuffed in the bottom where I would start rolling to
    give a little more substance there. When done, I would
    place the whole thing in a plastic bag to protect it from
    any insults I might meet on the way to work.
    (Should it rain on your way to work, you would feel pretty
    silly if your towel and clothes were to get wet before you
    had a chance to use them)

Using same basic principles, adjust to the demands of
    your panniers/backpack/cargo-hold device. Note that
    some articles of clothing may fare better with rolled
    transport than others. Naturally once you learn this,
    you try to avoid the clothing that works less well.
    As I recall corduroy was not forgiving. Anything marked
    ‘wrinkle-free’ might be a good starting point. Rolling
    things tightly, would increase chance of wrinkles.
    I would also re-adjust the clothes as I would roll, to
    help keep them flat and wrinkle free. It was important
    to start with enough room between the top of the towel,
    and where I would place the clothes, so that there would
    still be towel left as I reached the end of the clothes.

If you are a perfectionist, try it a few times when you
    are NOT going to work, to know in advance what you
    might be able to expect.

While your mileage may vary, if you are bike-commuting,
    your MPG is pretty near infinite. Ride safe…

21. Anj says:

I fold stuff flat as if for putting away in a drawer, and slide sideways into the stiff pocket of my messanger bag (most have them – it’s the area where the laptop goes or just behind it.) My clothes get a gentle pressing while I ride.

Instead of baby wipes, I use a washcloth I keep in a ziplock. Less waste.

22. Jim says:

I just started commuting in may. This weekend I bought a Nashbar Bike garment bag – great deal at about $50, it was bigger than I thought it would be but it rides great on my rear rack! I was using a bag that rode on top of my rack but the garment is low and seems to keep the center of gravity better. It has plenty of room for keeping clothes neat. I am planning on carrying a few days worth of clothes and leaving it in my office so I can get a good workout on my way home on a longer route.

23. Bill Fox says:

I leave early enough so I get to work about 30 minutes before I have to punch in. That means that almost no one else is here. I keep clothes in my file cabinet so I don’t have to carry anything on my bike or self. I towel off and change in the restroom and I’m at my desk with a fan on cooling off when people start coming in.

Once a week or so my wife brings me some clothes and I exchange them. It works great. If people won’t allow you to do this kind of thing it seems pretty discriminatory to me…maybe they should give you a ride so you don’t need to commute by bike then if it bothers them so much.

24. Nick says:

I use the cardboard that you usually get when you buy a business shirt (the one that keeps the shirt wrinkle free in the pack). I simply fold the shirt back onto the cardboard like it was when I first bought it. Its not perfect, but its better than nothing.

25. Sam says:

5 Tips:

1. If you are red, really red, for significant amount of time after riding, a Benadryl or Loratadine, or other anti allergy med after the ride will help reduce redness. Warning: don’t take before a ride if you are not accustomed to it, don’t drive drunk.

2. Increase your fitness, riding 10 miles can become easy if you regularly go beyond it.

3. Carry your weight, go ride with the full attire in your bag on your fitness rides, or even beyond it, it’ll make carrying your load effortless.

4. Are you fine but it’s the climbs that make you sweat? Install bar ends, these little bars cost 10 dollars and allows you to grip your handle bars with wider arms, giving you more chest space to breath, it also gives you straighter climbs, reducing effort, and makes it easy to rock the handlebar back and forth in time with your pedaling to get to the top.

5. Ride fast. I may put out more effort, but riding fast reduces sun exposure, the air moving around me dries me out, and it’s fun.

26. rjm says:

My workplace doesn’t have showers. When I get to work I spray myself down with a mineral deodorant spray (the brand I use is Thai Crystal, but there are tons of brands out there and most grocery stores and pharmacies carry at least one). This stuff is truly amazing; I’ve been commuting by bike for a year and a half now and I don’t think I would have stuck with it had I not discovered those mineral deodorants. (I started using it after reading an article written by a hippie documenting his attempts to get rid of his pungency…he gave a long list of the
    “natural” deodorant products he’d tried before discovering this little miracle. I figured if it worked for a pungent hippie, it’d certainly work for me!)

Dress in my office is casual (within reason), so I just roll up my work clothing into my messenger bag and that works fine for me. If I had to wear suits, I’d definitely invest in some good garment panniers.

Regarding another challenge: what to do with the sweaty clothes once you get to work. A lot of people above have mentioned that they hang them up in their offices, but that’s not an option for me as I work in an “open environment” with nine other people sitting in the room. So what I generally do is toss the sweaty clothes underneath my desk for the day; if I find them to be particularly odoriffic I’ll spray them down with the mineral deodorant spray that I mentioned above.

I hope this advice is helpful to anyone considering commuting to work by bike. It’s really not hard once you develop a system that suits your circumstances, and it’s worth it because it’s so rewarding!

27. Anne says:

I have Eagle Creek Travel packs that work great to keep clothes wrinkle free. They are designed for suitcases but I found I’ve used them everyday in my messenger bag. I usually fold a shirt, skirt and maybe a blazer. We are a business casual office so it’s pretty easy.

28. Phil says:

I use large re-sealable (Ziploc, for ex.) bags for my work clothes. Just before I leave the house, I carefully fold my clothes and slide them into the bags. I then press much of the air out as I seal the bag. I don’t flatten the bag, just press so there’s no “pillow” effect. This leaves the clothes snugly “wrapped” in their bags, which I then slip into my pack or pannier. Snug down the pack/pannier and “voila!”

I’m lucky that there is a shower and towles available at work (psych hospital), but I almost never use the shower there. I shower before work, then wipe off with a washcloth and towel. I hang my clothes on the grab bars or from the shower head (the tub/shower is never used, so it’s safe to hang things there. I then simply draw the curtain shut and, gee, no underwear to be seen!

The commute is 2.5 miles one way – just enough with one big hill that I can get pretty warm. I try and keep my layers light and start the ride chilly. If I do it right, I can arrive with a very light sweat started and my clean up goes quickly. If I blow it, I get to work dripping and have to spend a lot of time washing/wiping up.

29. Dale says:

I ride a Brompton to work and I pack my clothes in a Tumi flat folding pack that I bought a few years ago. It has a rigid plastic insert wiht a fabric cover that folds around the insert and attaches with velcro. It allows me to carefully fold pants, shirt and tie as I would when packing in a suitcase. The folded package slips into my Brompton bag and the clothes arrive at work in very good shape.

Eagle Creek makes a similar product that they call packing cubes.

The point is to carefully pack the clothes in a container that is then inserted into panniers, backpack or the like.

30. Andrew H says:

Wipes are total life savers, in my bag I have deodorant, fabreze and wipes.

31. Iberiancycist says:

Use Merino wool undershirts, which don’t smell even after days of sweaty commutes. Avoid cotton and synthetic fibers.

32. john says:

Just to reiterate what a fellow Texan said (comment 10). Take a shower right before you leave home and all you need to do is wash off with a washcloth and then change in a handicap stall. I do this even if I make the commute by running in 90 degrees. I arrive totally soaked with sweat but it all cleans up quickly AS LONG as I showered first. I carry everything in panniers back and forth every day, or in adventure racing pack if I run it.

33. Ed says:

I work in a business-casual environment and I share an office with my non-riding boss. We do not have showers, and my ride is about 10 miles each way. Summers are hot.

I like to arrive early so I can cool down, then I change in the men’s room. I leave my belt and shoes at work and I carry everything else folded carefully in my messenger bag.

When I change I use paper towels and a bottle of rubbing alcohol to clean up. It’s really cheap, extremely effective, and easy to store with my shoes in my desk drawer. I re-apply deodorant, dress, and I’m ready for the day.

I have a large file cabinet drawer that I keep everything in. I lay out my riding clothes as flat as I can in the drawer, and leave it open an inch or two. By the end of the day the clothes are dry and ready to wear on the ride home.

34. Matthew says:

Wow am I the only one who doesn’t have sweat problems? I have taken this for granted, apparently. After reading some of your comments, I’m thanking my lucky stars.

I commute about 3.5 miles on the busy city streets of Washington, D.C., which is also notorious for its hot, humid summers. Yet I wear my work clothes on the bike — even my dress shoes. I’m sometimes a bit warm when I arrive, but luckily the ride in is mostly downhill, and I don’t sweat much at all, even with rigorous exercise.

Luckily if the weather is awful, I ride the subway (driving is not an option, even if I had a car).

Much respect for you all doing what you need to do to make the bike commute do-able. This city in just two years has become thick with bikers in the streets. It’s by far the fastest, cheapest and most efficient way to get around. Stop bitching, start a revolution!

35. Chris says:

I drive the first day of the week.I carry a case of water (cheaper than buying from vending machine.)I carry a back with 3 to 4 days of clothes.I work in a manufacturing plant so I get to wear shorts.Store this all in my locker where I keep my work shoes and shower supplies.I take my clothes home after they have been worn home for washing then start the cycle over again.

36. JP Amaral says:

Directly from Brazil:
    I go to work everyday in S£o Paulo. I take about 45 minutes to get there, and I always have a little towel on my bag.
    These kinds of wipes are.´t reusable, right?
    So why not use a towel, which will be cheaper in long term, and will reduce garbage generation?

37. Ekdog says:

I strongly agree with JP Amaral. Why use disposable wipes when a small cotton washcloth will work just as well,if not better, while not producing waste? Simply carry a little bottle of alcohol along with it and clean under your arms when you get to work.

Using silky-smooth merino wool undershirts is another big help, as they hold no sweaty odour and don’t need to be laundered nearly as often as cotton or synthetic ones.

38. Rule 56 says:

Ekdog – Do you have a link for those merino wool undershirts? I’d like to give them a try.

39. Anne says:

Rivendell carries wonderful ones. http://www.rivbike.com

40. John says:

Another good idea…which I need to get back to as summer approaches here in Austin TX…is to dry my cycling clothes outside in the sun. The sunlight and fresh air will kill loads of bacteria that would otherwise lurk in the fabric waiting for me to feed them with fresh sweat. As with so many good ideas, it solves multiple problems. Not drying clothes in the dryer will save on the utility bill and, of course, the environment.

As for wipes/towels, I just use the little towels I get at triathlons and duathlons. Haven’t done a race? Why not? You have been training when you commute. Swap riding for running some of the days and you are good to go for a duathlon! And sometimes they give you a little towel.

41. Ekdog says:

@Rule 56: As Anne says, Rivendell has some nice ones, as does Icebreaker (http://www.icebreaker.com/site/index.html). If you Google “merino wool”, you’ll get thousands of hits. They not cheap, but you’ll save a bundle on soap and water because they can be worn many times before they need to be washed.

42. Atlanta Railroader says:

Fortunately I work at a rail yard with locker rooms and showers. Since I am the only one that cycles I can monopolize the shower room. I dress business casual and pack fresh clothes every day. I leave two pairs of work boots/shoes in my locker as well as one extra set of clothes just in case I forget something in the morning. After showering and dressing I usually rinse out my cycling gear and hang it to dry outside the building in my “secret” spot. By quitting time the clothes are dry and fresh smelling for the 20 mile trip home. I think it’s important to make sure you have clean, dry shorts or you risk diaper rash on the hot days.

43. Keith says:

I keep a pair long pants at work, wear the same pair for 5 days then take them home on Friday to wash. Bring a clean shirt in my knap sack every day. I strip off my spandex shorts and frumpy tee shirt and hang them to dry in front of a fan in the back room. I also bring a set of underwear everyday because I go commando in spandex, it is much more comfortable for guys. I cool down fairly quickly but one lady manager complained to my manager that my spandex was indecent. I got a ruling that says I can wear spandex before and after work but not during, duh? I guess she was checking my junk out pretty good. She remained anonymous, darn!

44. Luke says:

Gold Bond works wonders. I commute 18 miles each way, and I couldn’t live without the stuff. Luckily, I work at a bike shop, so coming in all sweaty and out of breath is not a minus. But the wet wipes are definitely a good start, followed up by Gold Bond.

45. Utah SEO says:

I’ve got a shower at work, but hate showering there, just requires to much crap…towels and so forth.
    Wipes and free paper towels will have to do!

46. Nicole says:

Febreze … really?

Here are some side effects:

* Possible mild gastrointestinal irritation with nausea, vomiting, and/or diarrhea.
    * Inhalation of high concentrations of ethanol vapor may cause irritation of the eyes and respiratory tract, drowsiness, and fatigue.

(source: http://www.thegoodhuman.com/2008/11/19/greenwash-of-the-week-febreze-its-a-breath-of-fresh-air/)

This product can contain:

ACETALDEHYDE – Chemical on California’s Prop 65 List for cancer and reproductive
    toxicity

ETHYL ACETATE – Chemical toxic to the brain and nervous system
    89 Air Contaminants Detected

(source: http://www.ewg.org/schoolcleaningsupplies/cleaningsuppliesoverview?id=219)

Try Tea Tree oil instead …

47. Greg says:

For drying jerseys and shorts use the towel roll technique. Robbie Ventura (Versus Commentator and Coach) has a youtube video of it.

1) layout your towel.
    2) lay your jersey on your towel.
    3) roll the towel up like a cinnimon roll.
    4) twist the roll very tightly
    5) fold it over on itself and stand on it (great for stretching your feet out too.
    6) unroll and hang to dry the rest of the way. (this compares to 15 minutes in a electric dryer)

48. celia says:

A good tip that was given to me: Soak your shirt in cold water before your ride, and wring out most of the water before putting it back on. It will be damp and cool through the ride and basically dry once you get there.

I tried it today, have a 5 mile one way trip. A little chilly at first, but was only a little sweaty once I got to work.

49. Sarah says:

Roll, don’t fold. If you are lucky enough to have casual attire at work, and can get by with jeans or khakis or knits, then try this: lay the knit items along the jeans/khakis lengthwise, and then roll them all up together with the pants on the outside, like a pinwheel sandwich. Oh, and socks and undies can go inside too, to keep the knit material from being too compressed or wrinkled.

50. Sarah says:

Having a supportive boss really makes a huge difference. I am glad you found a solution, and also glad there are sites like this out there to reinforce and communicate how many bike commuters there are! There is certainly strength in numbers. Perhaps you could invite your boss to join you for your post-work workout?

51. Emily says:

Down to a science:
    ~a good pannier
    ~cycling clothes and cycling shoes
    ~a bar of soap
    ~a wash cloth
    ~a change of clothes, shoes and underclothes
    ~ deodorant

All that’s needed is a bathroom.

I commute 5 miles to work in the hot and humid summers of NYC. I wear a cycling “uniform”, and when I get to work, I go into the bathroom, strip, soap up the sweaty areas, rinse with a wash cloth, wipe down my entire body with the damp wash cloth, reapply deodorant, change, and am ready to start the day fresh.

This may not apply to everyone, but if you have a bathroom for one, and a place to store your belongings, it works like a charm.

52. Doug C says:

I usually get my clothes done at the dry cleaners, there I ask for my shirts to be folded instead of on hangers and this keeps the shirts looking good and I don’t have to do it (I’m not good at ironing)

53. E Avila says:

Thanks for the tips, all. I’ve petitioned for quite some time now to get showers at work – can’t afford a gym membership. Just decided to start riding in anyway.

Challenges for me – sensitive skin, allergic to antiperspirant, work in a business environment, and will need to put my makeup on at work. I expect to try some of the tips you all left and develop a system – hopefully I can make it work.

54. Andrew says:

Enjoyed the post. Thankfully more and more cheap gyms are springing up and employers listening to their workers who appreciate alternative methods of commuting. So more showers in more work places. Most bike or run commuters seem more productive after their morning exercise as well :)

55. Neil says:

I carry a change of work clothes with me when cycling to the office. The best way I have found to keep my work’s shirt crisp and unwrinkled is to put it in a square biscuit tin.

56. Nick says:

We have showers at work – very fortunate! If you’re in a position to offer this to employees, do it. It’s a great investment.

57. Marcie says:

Could you use a dry shampoo and keep it at work?