BionX: Electrify Your BikePlanet Bike: Better bike products for a better worldCommuter Bike Store Fuji CambridgeCygoLite Bike Lights: Engineered to ShineRideKick Electric Powered Bike TrailerOrtlieb Bike Bags & PanniersBanjo Brothers Affordable Cycling GearMiiR Bottles one4oneBike Tech Shop - The Experts on Cycling with CircuitryUtility Cycling - Use Your BicycleXtracycle Bike Cargo Kits, Parts and AccessoriesChrome Bike Backpacks and Messenger Bags

Poll: Where do you wash your bike?

by Richard Masoner

Bike wash

Originally uploaded by richardmasoner.

Warren has wrapped up the parking poll, so let’s start a new one. Where do you clean your bike?

1. I take my bike to the car wash and blast it with a pressure washer.
  2. The bike shop has a bike cleaning service I use.
  3. I wash it in my yard/patio/driveway.
  4. I wash it at my friend’s yard/patio/driveway.
  5. I wash it outside at my apartment complex.
  6. I wash it outside where I work.
  7. I take it inside and wash it in my bath/shower.
  8. What kind of moron washes their bike?

Leave a comment and let us know how you keep your bike clean.

The Chariot Summer Sale - 2013

21 Responses to “Poll: Where do you wash your bike?”

1. Drew says:

I guess I’ll go with number 3, though I actually put my bikes on my maint. stand in my garage to clean it.

2. Ahd Child says:

I wipe it down with a soapy rag and a bucket of water inside my appartment

3. Jett says:

I sometimes wait until the accumulated weight is sufficient for the dirt to fall off on its own (#8?), but when I do wash the bike, #3 might be closest. Like Ahd Child, I use a bucket of water and a rag to wipe it down inside the back room of my house.

4. nathan says:

sometimes when a mountain bike gets extremely muddy i wash it at the car wash with the spray nozzle — but without feeding quarters into the machine, which seems to make the nozzle operate at a mellow pressure and not the high pressure paying produces.

otherwise just wipe with a rag and windex or degreseaser. high pressure water is very very bad for your bike. low pressure is okayer

i use sram chains and soak them in a jelly jar filled with simple green when they get nasty. a pot with hot soapy water & a dish brush cleans the cassette and chainrings. a standard bike bottle with plain water rinses them off.

5. Jose Casillas from Redondo Beach California says:

Wash . . .bike . . . I don’t understand these words.

6. Al says:

For me is #3. I will take my bike(s) that need to be cleaned at wash them in front of the house. My kids get into it and use chalk to create a bike wash area and I help them clean their bikes after I am done with mine.

7. Ryan says:

#3 explains it best. Usually find myself using car wash soap which works on all paints/clearcoats. A sponge, bucket, and just the normal water pressure through the garden house works well. Always stay away from pressure washers no matter how muddy the bike gets!

8. RC in Halifax says:

I don’t really “wash” any of my bikes. At most I will wipe off the dirt with a damp cloth after it builds up awhile. Dirt provides an excellent protector for the frame against the salt they put on the roads up here.

Also, it rains enough that my bike gets washed on its own!

9. Tim McG says:

I don’t want to get rid of the crunchy dirt coating by washing.

But I do occasionally wipe off the chain and grease the hell out of it.

10. Hak says:

Washing? Ummmm…I’m supposed to do that?

Seriously, when I do, it’s #3 and is mostly done with a bit a Simple Green on a towel for my road bike. My kids’ bikes get the hose because they like to run through the puddles and mud.

hak

11. wolfy says:

I wash it in my yard/patio/driveway.

-M

12. Val says:

I’m with Jose (#5)…it sounds like english, but I can’t make sense out of it…I do try to keep my drive train clean by using wax based lubes and wiping it down occaisionally when lubing, but the cumulative patina adds to the personality and enhances the overall antitheft qualities of my beautiful monster. The only other area I would pay attention to would be the braking surfaces of the rims and brake pads, but since my favorite bike uses drum brakes, even that can be ignored

13. Kaz says:

I feel that dirt, mud and road grime on a bike can be helpful theft deterrants (along with a good lock system) but when I feel the need, #3 is my choice.

14. Danomite says:

#5 when it happens, but more often #8. Riding in the rain helps too. I clean my drivetrain and do all repairs/maintenance etc on a work stand in my apartment.

15. Noah says:

Bucket of 1:10 Purple Power Degreaser:Water and an old rag. Toothbrush for tight spaces. Out on my front patio or in my linoleum front hallway when it’s too cold outside. When the wheels are really, really grimy, I’ll invert it and run them through the shower.

Thanks for the input so far, everybody. When I tally it up I’ll probably simplify and knock the number of categories down into something that makes sense. Keep it coming!

17. dipy911 says:

Just wipe down bike with a clean dry rag. Then wipe of chain and lube. Quick ride through all the gears, and I’m good to go.

18. Greg! says:

During cold or wet weather, #7, in the shower. After winter rides through the grimy, slushy, salty muck the bike gets a shower before I do. Is that wrong?

#3 when it’s nice outside.

A clean bike is faster, it’s a scientific fact!

19. Dinosaur Dan says:

hahaha i wash my bike in the shower… and I’ve washed my bike PARTS in my dishwasher =P

20. Maybe it’s a mountain biker thing…but I NEVER wash my bike. I mean sure…clean the chain and make sure the joints and fork stantions are free from gunk ….but I’ve always maintained the fastest way to rust and squeaks is washing…HIGH POWERED HOSES?! Man …maybe if you like the grating creak of unlubed metal on metal…

21. Red says:

Sometimes I LOOK at my bike real hard and think about washing it even harder and then I grab a screw-driver and gouge off one or two strips of grease from the sprockets then it’s time to GO damnit! So I dump the tool and jump on the saddle and forget all about washing my bike once again.