RideKick Electric Powered Bike TrailerPlanet Bike: Better bike products for a better worldCommuter Bike Store Fuji CambridgeBionX: Electrify Your BikeChrome Bike Backpacks and Messenger BagsBike Bag Shop -- Grocery, Shopping, Market PanniersBanjo Brothers Affordable Cycling GearXtracycle Bike Cargo Kits, Parts and AccessoriesMiiR Bottles one4oneCygoLite Bike Lights: Engineered to ShineUtility Cycling - Use Your BicycleOrtlieb Bike Bags & Panniers

CBB Poll: Bike To Work Week

by Warren T

I normally see at least two or three other bikes on the way to work. So, we’ve reached the middle of Bike To Work Week and so far, on day 3, I’ve seen a grand total of 1 other cyclist. That is 1 all week! What about you?

How many bike commuters have you seen during Bike To Work Week compared with a normal week?
View Results

Ortlieb Sale Aug 2014 Slot 2

15 Responses to “CBB Poll: Bike To Work Week”

1. Josh says:

It’s been rainy and windy here in Michigan this week. I have not seen any promotion for bike to work week either.
    The local paper had an article about the Silent Ride tonight, and called this week Bike Safety Week.
    I might try to promote commuting later in the summer when the weather is more likely to be cooperative. I’ve certainly been telling everyone that I talk to how much sense it makes to commute; especially when people start complaining about the price of gas.

It seems to me that we should reach a tipping point soon where people will start thinking of bicycles as a valid mode of transportation again instead of some extra activity (for fitness or recreation). A little promotion, and high prices for gasoline might make this the year!

2. Vanessa says:

Being in the “bike world,” it’s sometimes confusing when people don’t take to cycling as easily as I do. Someone in my math class told me that I was insane for riding the 20 miles to and from school every day. My friends call me a pussy for not riding more.

I just want to yell at everyone, “People, are bodies were made to be used!!”

Maybe I’ll make flyers.

In the SF Bay Area, specifically Santa Clara County,there’re supposed to be about 20,000 riders tomorrow. I can’t wait to see if I run into any of these extras.

3. Paul of N.W. GA says:

Hey Vanessa,
    You may not understand what your friends are really saying.
    Follow this link and you see what I am saying.. : )

4. Mark says:

I usually see a few people. This week I have seen one person. To tell the truth when I lived in connecticut during the last year I took the bus during bicycle to work week. I almost got hit twice in one day during bike to work week the year before. Once by a wrong way cyclist, once by a person flying out from behind a parked car on the sidewalk. I don’t think I was the only frustrated person. Most drivers would complain endlessly about those bicyclists more then ever the that week and the following one.

Far too many people breaking every law and common sence rule outside riding their bikes to work. I saw no helmets, no reflectors, no light at night, dark clothes at night, wrong side of the road, sidewalks on both sides, ignoring traffic laws.

5. Noah says:

More than normal, but that’s probably because I went from a 10-mile-per-day bike/bus multi-mode commute to a single-mode bike-only commute of nearly 50 miles round trip for bike to work week. My cow-orkers (sic!!!) believe that I’m taking “Bike To Work” too literally. I think they’re jealous. :P

The additional miles are a likely reason I’m seeing more bike commuters, though.

This morning I watched almost the entire staff of startup BloomEnergy (a fuel cell company) shakily riding their bikes along Wolfe Road in Sunnyvale, CA. There were probably a couple dozen of them in their own little Critical Mass in Silicon Valley.

Noah, are you a denizen of AFU, or perhaps ASR?

7. Noah says:

A what of where?

8. Noah says:

By the way, I know what a denizen is, but no clue what the two three-letter-organizations are that you referenced, so the answer is probably “no.”

9. Warren T says:

American Federation of Umpires
    Association for the Sociology of Religion

I think Fritz is looking for an umpire with morals to mediate a company picnic softball game, or something.

I could be wrong.

Sorry for the threadjacking. “cow-orker” is a commonly used phrase in the days of old in the Usenet groups alt.folklore.urban and alt.sysadmin.recovery.

I just Googled for it and learned that Scott Adams popularized cow-orker somewhat more recently.

So, ummmm, never mind.

11. Noah says:

I’ve used cow-orker since the mid ’90′s. I do believe I picked it up from usenet.

AFU and ASR are waaaaay too vague to be using when referencing two-decade-old archaic discussion technologies.

Hey, Usenet was “social networking” before social networking became all cool with blogs and other Web 2.0′ish technology :-)

But back on topic: I saw something like six to seven hundred cyclists on my 25 mile commute this morning. That’s about 400 more than I usually see on a nice Spring day commute.

13. Paul of N.W. GA says:

Here in the good old south, (fort Oglethorpe, GA) full of rednecks and big SUVs I have seen none this week. On a good week I may see two wrong way sidewalk riders who use only one gear (small-small).

Web-sites like this one goes a long way helping people like me feel just a little bit normal.

The price of gas must be going up, no motorist harassed me today!

14. Adrienne in AZ says:

Where I live, the Bike to Work hoopla was last month (see http://www.valleymetro.org/Rideshare/Bike_&_Walk/Valley_Bike_Month.htm). April is when our thermometers begin to exceed 100 degrees. You don’t want to think too hard about our weather in May and the summer months.

The Phoenix area Great Bike Challenge brought me back to bicycling after, uh, a LOT of years, so I can’t complain. I’m a sort-of newbie though for three years during college a bicycle was my only transportation. Nothing about safety has changed since then except that not only are helmets readily available, but people actually wear them.

15. Jett says:

DUring this past week, I’ve seen my steady average of about one cyclist per mile of travel, but tomorrow I’ll see a bunch. I’ll be joining a bike train from Dectur into downtown. These are a lot of fun.