Commuter Bike Store Breezer Uptown InfinityOrtlieb Bike Bags & PanniersBionX: Electrify Your BikeCygoLite Bike Lights: Engineered to ShineBike Tech Shop - The Experts on Cycling with CircuitryMiiR Bottles one4oneXtracycle Bike Cargo Kits, Parts and AccessoriesBanjo Brothers Affordable Cycling GearPlanet Bike: Better bike products for a better worldChrome Bike Backpacks and Messenger BagsRideKick Electric Powered Bike TrailerElectric Bike Report

Commuter Story: Back in the Saddle

by Commute by Bike

Remember Mike from his crash awhile back? Here’s an update…

I was a hardcore rain or shine 40 mile round trip bike commuter from November 1 2006 until April 4, 2007—-when I was hit by a truck. It took me just about a month to fully heal, what with the hematomas and such. My sweet Gunnar Sport is toast, but I had my LBS build up a 2007 Surly Pacer and I took it home yesterday. I can’t wait to get back on the road on two wheels. The crash was a debacle, and I was lucky to not be seriously injured. The driver’s insurance company was really good when it came to compensating me for my injuries, AND cutting me a check for the jersey/shorts/helmet/sunglasses I lost in the crash. Getting them to pay for the bike took a bit longer, but a check is on the way. I even had to go to court as a witness because the stupid toothless redneck driver fought the ticket. He was not successful—his excuse was “I tried not to hit him, your honor.”

Hilarious, right?

The Chariot Summer Sale - 2013

9 Responses to “Commuter Story: Back in the Saddle”

Thanks for that update. I’m glad Mike is on the mend.

2. John says:

In October 2006 I was “t-boned” by an SUV – I had the right of way. The driver admittedly wasn’t looking.

I sat in the ER for 8 hours until my turn for a catscan – by the time I went in for a scan I could not sit up without blacking out, I had little to no blood pressure (they couldn’t even get blood for testing) and a heart rate of 150+. My spleen had burst and I had about 2 liters of blood in my abdominal cavity. A few hours under the knife and I was all cleaned up, albeit without a spleen.

I also herniated a disc in my spine, and it still bugs me today.

I began physical therapy 3 times per week shortly after, and didn’t feel comfortable getting back on a bike until April, when I bought a cheap Fuji to start getting back up to speed. Rain or shine.

Never give up, never surrender.

3. Paul of N.W. GA says:

Best luck Mike!

I hope you continue riding and never have to relive that day.
    Again, if I was closer I would ride with you to help you get back to where you were.

Since reading about your wreck, I tend to ride more to the middle of the lane and make all motorist pass me just as they would any body else. Motorist who buzz me don’t get far before I bang on their window at the first red light. We have to stand up for our rights…

I myself may be hit by a motorist one day, but it won’t be because I am not visible. And I hope if that happens I won’t let that get to me”

I am glad you went to court, see if you can get a local paper to print an article about the motorist hitting you while passing and the charges, legal costs and losing in court as well as his insurance paying for every little item to you. Others may think better before unsafe passing knowing what will come of it.

4. Mike in Florida says:

Thanks guys.

5. Kim says:

Hi Mike-

I’ve only been reading your blog for couple weeks now, but I’ve gone back through a lot of posts and have found it quite inspiring. I hope you’re back in the saddle before too long.

I currently live in South Korea, where driving laws seem to be suggestion and are rarely enforced. Things we take for granted in our daily lives at home in North America and such (like people not parked all the way around corners) make bike commuting nearly impossible here, but I’m still going to try to get off my car crutch and make this a lifestyle. If I can do it for a year, I’m going to reward myself with a bike tattoo. A year or 30 pounds, whichever comes first ;)

Anyhow, keep it up! You’re having an impact.

Kim

6. Kim says:

Uh, so maybe this isn’t Mike’s blog. Sorry. But I do like it ;)

THanks for the comment anyhow, Kim ;-) I’d love to hear your stories of bike commuting in the ROK sometime.

Are you U.S. Military?

8. Kim says:

Thanks for the interest, Fritz. It’s been hard to get into, but I’ll give you some stories when I can think through them enough to come up with something that’s not just ranting… ;) That’s an easy trap to fall into but not an accurate reflection of the situation. The city I’m in (Daejeon) has some great infrastructure, is totally flat (well, almost totally) and has a mayor pushing for more people to start using the subway in combination with the free city bicycles at each station. Unfortunately the barriers to regular commuting are more cultural than physical.

I’m not military, but I’m one of the phalanx of English teachers here (just past the 5 year mark) and I’ll probably stick it out another few years. I’ve read about some critical mass stuff here, but not specifically in my town. I’ve been chatting up a few other cyclists (the whole gamut- recreational to roadie) to see if we shouldn’t get a mass awareness ride together (perhaps even the local bike cops will come!).

Ok, I’m going to stop clogging up the comments now.

9. Loy35 says:

Lofty goals such as traveling the world and writing great books have given way to watching Amazing Race and escaping into books other people have penned. ,