Bike Tech Shop - The Experts on Cycling with CircuitryCommuter Bike Store Breezer Uptown InfinityBionX: Electrify Your BikePlanet Bike: Better bike products for a better worldBanjo Brothers Affordable Cycling GearCygoLite Bike Lights: Engineered to ShineMiiR Bottles one4oneUtility Cycling - Use Your BicycleXtracycle Bike Cargo Kits, Parts and AccessoriesRideKick Electric Powered Bike TrailerChrome Bike Backpacks and Messenger BagsOrtlieb Bike Bags & Panniers

Biking hazard: Tree sap?

by Richard Masoner

I saw this note posted yesterday on the local cycling list.

Is there any thing that we can do with trees that leave such a big puddle of sap on bike lanes? I was riding today and I went through it and my bike skidded out from under me. I feel that it is a hazard.

I don’t think I’ve ever thought of tree sap has a hazard before. Has anybody else crashed or lost control after an encounter with tree sap?

9 Responses to “Biking hazard: Tree sap?”

1. danimal says:

I’ve skidded out a couple of times, but never to the point of being out of control. I know it can get slick and I was ready, but the amount of slickness surprised me.

2. Harry says:

Sap, no. But autumn leafs? Oh yeah.

3. RocBike.com says:

Links Of The Day: 19 July 2007…

From The Bike-O-Sphere

A first
    Bike and chat
    Seattle: Business “leader” kills bike lane
    Well, At Least More People Are Riding…Right?
    Worst of NYC Craigslist Bike Ads #11, #12, and # 13
    Biking hazard: Tree sap?
    Loving the one-car lif…

4. I have never skidded out on tree sap, but last weekend I did have a big dollop of it dribble onto my fork’s compression adjustment dial. Took a bit of scrubbing with Goo-Gone to get it off. Next time I might think twice before parking under a Jack Pine.

I’ve never seen a “puddle” of sap though, and certainly nothing large enough to cause a skid. That’s a lot of sap. What kind of trees are in that area?

Perhaps the most unusual hazard I’ve encountered is ice. And that’s unusual because my fall did not come from sliding, which is what you tend to expect from ice. Last fall I was riding after cold weather hit. Rode out across a frozen mud puddle. Did not slide at all. But the front tire broke through the ice, the bike stopped, and I flew (hard) over the bars. It had never occurred to me that the ice might break under me. I gained newfound respect for mud puddles :-) .

5. Russ says:

I’d put a hole on the opposite side of the tree. Maybe it will leak out the other side.

6. John says:

Every once in a while a question is asked that just makes you shake your head. {{{{said shaking head}}}}

7. John says:

p.s. Put up a sign. “Beware of saps on trail”. And tell the guy to tighten his helmet when he approaches a puddle of sap.

Jonathan, that sounds painful. I’ve tumbled into hard, bumpy ice.

Midnight, I kind of wondered the same thing.

“Beware of saps” har har har :-)

9. Desina says:

The only danger I’ve experienced was the leaves. I learned my clean-up lesson though when I wiped out in front of my house, right into the back of my neighbour’s pick-up truck!