Xtracycle Bike Cargo Kits, Parts and AccessoriesOrtlieb Bike Bags & PanniersBike Tech Shop - The Experts on Cycling with CircuitryBionX: Electrify Your BikeCommuter Bike Store Fuji CambridgeChrome Bike Backpacks and Messenger BagsMiiR Bottles one4oneUtility Cycling - Use Your BicycleRideKick Electric Powered Bike TrailerCygoLite Bike Lights: Engineered to ShineBanjo Brothers Affordable Cycling GearPlanet Bike: Better bike products for a better world

And they say cyclists don’t obey traffic laws?

by Warren T

How many times have you heard someone complain that cyclists never stop at stop signs?

Below is a video that was taken yesterday morning at 8:30am at a point where the bike trail crosses the road. My phone only records 20 seconds of video so you missed the next 4 vehicles (including a FedEx truck) that rolled right on through. 11 drivers and not one stopped.

I stopped and I had the right of way!

And yes, that is a stop sign in the video.

This happened in Overland Park, Kansas at the corner of Mastin Blvd and Mastin St.

googlemap.jpg

I also posted this video at my personal blog, Limited Warren T.

10 Responses to “And they say cyclists don’t obey traffic laws?”

That’s about typical, isn’t it?

2. Chris C. says:

Nice… Send it to the cops and ask them to set up an enforcement sting. Cops love that kind of stuff. They can actually make a difference.

3. Joe says:

Holy Cow; life in the big town eh?

4. beoba says:

That’s typical driving for Overland Park in general.

5. Othemts says:

I say that motorists have to EARN respect by showing that they can obey traffic laws before they are allowed to bring their cars out on the road.

6. Rachel says:

I live in Memphis, TN and the folks here don’t know what traffic signals or signs are. I don’t see why it’s important to be first or to get there fast, but it’s the same condition everywhere in the US.

On the flip side, I see some cyclists (fakengers?) doing the same thing. I ride with these guys on Thursdays and they are prone to riding the wrong way on one way streets, running red lights, and busting through signs. There aren’t that many motorists out, but the ones that see us doing the wrong thing become biased towards all cyclists.

I think the only solution is to remember we need to start with our own shortcomings before we start classing all motorists as assholes. Everybody has to get somewhere and we all need to try to do it with as much courtesy as possible. If we start with ourselves, you may be suprised by the reaction you get when you meet up with them at the coffeeshop or at work. I know I do since I’m one of two cyclists at my job. I’ve recently noticed some competition at the bike rack now and a lot more people yelling, “Girl, you rollin’ on that bike. I’s needz a bike too…”

7. Anna says:

Oh,my god,I am turning 39 this november and cycling is making look young compared to alot of female motorists who are really getting these amazing waistlines! I notice just how muvh of a waistline drivers are getting it’s very sedentary , they don’t even realize it! it’s alarming. I have become more aware of the rules of cycling our safety for my life & my daughters never challenge 2 tons of steel.

8. Nick says:

Amen to that- I turned 34 this year, and managed to break the 190# mark for the first time in (sadly) almost 6 years. I haven’t been this fit since I was in college, and the wife LOVES it. ;) I’m still rolling, at least until the snow flies.
    Back to the topic, though, I must admit I have rolled through my share of stop signs.. but ONLY when there is no cross traffic! Not that that’s an excuse, but to be honest, I can stop in less than 3x my length (3×5= 15 feet) even when rolling at full speed… let’s see ANY car stop in HALF that when at road speed!! That said, I can certainly stop if needed, if I misjudged the intersection and need to lock it up.
    I’ve never seen blatant disregard for a fixed sign like that… was that outside a business or public arena or something? That’s just nuts.

9. lotrogold.biz offer cheap lotro gold
    and cheap lotro powerleveling
    service.You can come and have a look!Thank you!

10. Replica replica Tiffany‘s is one of those brands that actually set the trend with the onset of a classic style and design on its own.