Banjo Brothers Affordable Cycling GearElectric Bike ReportBike Bag Shop -- Grocery, Shopping, Market PanniersChrome Bike Backpacks and Messenger BagsCygoLite Bike Lights: Engineered to ShineBionX: Electrify Your BikeXtracycle Bike Cargo Kits, Parts and AccessoriesRideKick Electric Powered Bike TrailerCommuter Bike Store Breezer Greenway DX Hybrid Bike 24 Speed - 2011 ModelPlanet Bike: Better bike products for a better worldMiiR Bottles one4oneOrtlieb Bike Bags & Panniers

Home Bike Storage

by Warren T

A while back we ran a poll to see how you stored your bikes at work. I thought about doing another poll about home bike storage but, let’s face it gang, there are just too many options and too many combinations. There are 11 bikes in my garage at the moment, three of them are mine. We have 4 hanging from the ceiling on the old traditional hooks from the hardware store. Whenever we clean out the garage the others start off in nice, orderly rows in the back corner (that lasts about 10 hours).

I searched around a bit to see what other options are out there and found 3 pages of results on Amazon. The results ran the gamut of my beloved yellow hooks to an elaborate system of cables and pulleys.

Single Bike Hook
I like the idea of the Leonardo Single Bike Hook (shown above), but the bikes will stand out from the wall quite a bit.

If I just had a couple of bikes to worry about, I think I’d love the Cycloc (not on the Amazon list). I sent the Cycloc folk a note to ask if they are available outside of the UK and they are.

Cycloc
“…the Cycloc is available outside the UK – we can supply international customers directly via FedEx dispatch.”

So, rather than come up with a poll that has hundreds of choices — why not comment on what you use? Might give someone a good idea that they’d not thought of…

18 Responses to “Home Bike Storage”

1. Scott says:

I’ve used the pulley system, freestanding racks and hooks like the Davinci (an inexpensive knock-off sold at places like Lowes or Home Depot). One nice thing about the wall wheel hooks is that you can stagger the bikes…so even though they stick out you can store a bunch of bikes without taking up a ton of wall space. Plus there’s still the floor for storing things underneath.

2. Joel says:

I’m trying to find a decent small shed of some kind for outside storage. I don’t have interior storage space (narrow row house) and my basement stairs are too narrow for bikes to fit down.

3. Jen (SLC) says:

I have a tiny house, and my boyfriend and I both ride regularly. I have a Delta Michelangelo:

It’s nice because it’s really easy to install and use, but it’s probably not the best for how much we use it. I keep my bike on the top, and I ride to work and on most of my errands. My boyfriend rides a few days out of the week. It would be great for bikes that get used less frequently, but it’s probably not the best solution for bikes that are used daily.

I’m considering upgrading to this wooden stand:

It looks to be similar to the Michelangelo, but the materials look more durable.

4. sygyzy says:

I am glad you posted this article. I’ve grown to three bikes recently and while that’s not a lot, it’s overwhelming for a small, second story, apartment. I have a vertically stacked stand taking up half of my utility closet outside. It’s a pain to get bikes out of it so I end up storing the bike I am going to ride on the balcony where, lately, it’s been covered by ash from the local fires. I have been doing research for an indoor storage solution and ended up getting a Delta Michaelangelo leaning unit. It’s from the same company as the Leonardo above. I like the Leonardo too but like you said, it sticks out too much.

5. D*pow says:

I used to work for Saris, and lived in a very small apartment. I had too many bikes for the space. I was always shuffling them around, until I combined two of the existing Saris storage products to make one super rack that held five bikes. I took the two uprights from two bike bunks, and connected them with two 7 foot 2x4s via four u-bolts. Then I hung 5 vertical bike trays on the 2x4s. The result was a rack that held five bikes, while leaning against the wall, in a relatively small space (around 7feet longx 4feet widex 6feet tall. If you can’t picture it in your head, check it out on my blog:

When I hug the bikes heel to head, it was pretty easy on and off. I added a couple of utility hooks to one end to hold locks and helmets. The only permenant damage done by the rack was some damage to the wood floor where the salt leaked from the bikes during the winter. Saris had no interest in making such a product…

6. Quinn says:

I too live in a small apt. I have 2 bike, but will have 4 shortly, so I just bought a topeak floor-to-cieling, 4-bike stand, of which I am going to use 3 spots (have to have room for my 29er) and I’m gonna use a ordinary cyclpro LBS rolling stand for the one I’m going to take out.

7. dwainedibbly says:

Tandem. 2 of hers, 5 of mine (though she claims it’s at least 8). Spare bedroom. Jammed. Bliss….

8. cowtown cumuter says:

I like hanging mine up on hooks in my garage if I am not riding it for a while (only in the worst months of the dead of winter). Eight months of the year it sits in my grage on its kick-stand ready to commute to work and back almost every day.

9. Ghost Rider says:

Three bikes in the tiny, overstuffed shed, four bikes under tarps in the yard, and one in the kitchen. No special hanging equipment used…everything is resting on their tires.

10. Mark says:

I’m entering a new stage in my life, kids are getting their own bikes. Up until this point, we managed to find room for all the bikes. But with the new ones, I’m seriously looking at having to hang them on walls. Are there any longterm issues with wheels when you do this? I have some bikes that only come out at ceretain times of the year, so they could be haning for five or six months straight.

11. Drew says:

Those Cycloc units look cool, but $126.00!?!? I’m grateful for having a shed!

12. danomite says:

I have a wooden rack made by a local Vancouver BC store. It holds two bikes horizontally and is freestanding. It is pretty nice looking, for a bike stand, which is nice because it essentially lives in my living room.

13. Charles says:

I use two devices for the 3 bikes. The 2 less frequently used go on a freestanding racks similar to the Delta Michelangelo above. The daily commuter hangs on my repair stand.

14. Jessi says:

I am thinking about buying a bike for my commute – but storage is a huge concern. I live in NYC, in a tiny apartment already crowded with too much stuff. I do have wall space in the stairwell but it’s to high for me to reach. I thought about a pulley system but it seems too hard to deal with every day and I know it would just be a pain in the ass. I think a folding bike is my best bet but I don’t know. Anyone have any innovative storage approaches for tiny city apartment life?

15. justfrank says:

A response to Jessi, above, the folding bike would take up the least amount of space, and is a great solution for urban getting around. However, if your floor space is limited, you will still run into it when you don’t want to. I would encourage you to give the pulley system a try, if your apartment has enough height. We use the pulleys to display/store all kinds of bikes in our small, narrow, but lofty storefront. The bikes have to come up and down many times a day, over the heads of customers and working mechanics, and believe me, it gets to be as easy as operating a set of venetian blinds.

16. Maria says:

Frank- how tight to the ceiling can the pulley system get you? I have ~10 foot ceilings and am not sure if I’ll be hitting my head on the bikes…

Any thoughts?

17. [...] Home Bike Storage Units: Over the last year bike usage has soared. With more people buying and using bikes, most people [...]

18. Ann Handley says:

I use the YardStash product to store my bike outdoors. It’s held up well during the winter and is easy to set-up. http://www.yardstash.com or Amazon has some more info.