RideKick Electric Powered Bike TrailerMiiR Bottles one4oneBike Bag Shop -- Grocery, Shopping, Market PanniersOrtlieb Bike Bags & PanniersXtracycle Bike Cargo Kits, Parts and AccessoriesCommuter Bike Store Fuji CambridgeBionX: Electrify Your BikeCygoLite Bike Lights: Engineered to ShineBanjo Brothers Affordable Cycling GearChrome Bike Backpacks and Messenger BagsUtility Cycling - Use Your BicyclePlanet Bike: Better bike products for a better world

First Look: 2008 Raleigh Detour Deluxe

by Commute by Bike

There were a few bikes at the Outdoor Demo that were on display but weren’t available for demo. The first of these is the 2008 Raleigh Detour Deluxe.

2008 Raleigh Detour Deluxe

The Detour Deluxe is a hybrid bike that’s built for a commuter looking for a relaxed riding position and a lot of great features.

Several people have left comments on other bikes with complaints about them not coming stock with racks, fenders, etc. The Detour doesn’t fail there. The stock Detour Deluxe comes with a set of round fenders, rear rack AND a light system…

2008 Raleigh Detour Deluxe

The Basta Pilot light system is a great addition and has a lot of features. Both the headlight and taillight is powered by the generator in the hub of the bike. It also has three different settings. The standard on/off but also an automatic setting which is perfect for dealing with bridges, tunnels, etc. When you hit a dark patch the lights will automatically flip on and when you come out into the light again they’ll turn back off.

2008 Raleigh Detour Deluxe

A few other features that add to the overall comfort of the bike include the seat and grips. The seat is a nice, wide, plush design that looks to have padding in all the right places. And the grips are made with a more ergonomic mindset than your standard round shape.

2008 Raleigh Detour Deluxe

The price point on this bike isn’t cheap at over $1100, however the huge amount of features and comfortable riding position may make this the bike for you. See more over at Raleigh’s website.

The Chariot Summer Sale - 2013

24 Responses to “First Look: 2008 Raleigh Detour Deluxe”

1. LA Rider says:

No full chainguard, again. I noticed another poster in the Masi thread mentioned this. Is there a particular aspect of chainguards that makes manufacturers avoid them? I don’t think more than a half-dozen bikes on the market today have them. On a super equiped bike like this, I’m surprised it’s a only crank cover.

2. Thoglette says:

“No Full chainguard, again” – it’s the silly derailleur thingy which makes guards, well, harder.

Another reason to change it to a hubgear system – and add a conventional, completely enclosed chainguard.

3. seth vidal says:

Again +1 to the full chainguard. What also amuses me is that all of the features this bike has had been present on the breezer uptown 8 for years.

4. Quinn says:

I guess you can count me as part of the fixie crowd, I ride with my lights (on the bike), my lock (on the bike) and my tire bag, use a leg band with pants, and find the constant rattle of a chain gaurd annoying as H***!

5. seth vidal says:

1. If your chainguard rattles then tighten it up.
    2. A chainguard can easily be removed from a bike if you don’t like it. Adding one can be considerably more difficult.

6. Mike Myers says:

Raleigh is defintely stepping up lately. The Detour is a sharp bike—but I have to wonder why someone would buy that when for the same price they can buy the Sojourn?

Here’s a .pdf of Raleigh’s Interbike media kit. It shows the Sojourn and the One Way.

7. Mike Myers says:

Raleigh’s media kit shows the Detour Deluxe at $710. That’s a decent price for the complete package. I may be wrong, but I think that’s right at the top of what a commuter-type hybrid bike should be priced. After that, you start getting in to decent road bike territory—and I don’t think there’s much you could do with a hybrid you can’t do with a fat tired road bike.

8. Uncle Bob says:

Note the stupid short front mudguard, and the silly little plastic “mud-flaps”. Will manufacturers *ever* grok that one of the main functions of the front mudguard is to stop the wheel spraying road grime over the drive train.

9. Sue says:

+1 on chainguard. “Decent road bike” territory… with fenders and lights and the works? (and turn signals?)

10. Mike Myers says:

Sue—once you start working with an LBS, yes. Turn signals are a silly idea. Nobody’s going to expect them on a bike. Hand signals are better. You POINT to where you’re wanting to go.

11. Quinn says:

Mike Myers,

turn signals are silly huh? Just today I was biking through a city park, I had to make I shape left-hand “v” turn, to I looked, signaled, pulled into the left side of the lane, then I had to put my left hand on the bars to make the turn, suddenly this grey lifted chevy tahoe came 2 feet from running me over, undoubtably the truck want behind me long enough to see my hand signal, don’t ya think it would be handy to have a light turn on before the turn and last until you complete the turn?

cars may not expect to see turn signals on a bike, but they expect turn signals(lights), and I don’t know about your town, but here bicycles have any of the same rights and responsabilities as cars Including headlights and tail light, so why not make things easier for you and them by adding turn signals, like every other car/truck/motorcycle/moped has?

12. Mike Myers says:

Quinn—yes, they’re silly and ineffective. The ONLY way they will be even close to effective is if manufacturers spec lights which are DAYTIME VISIBLE. The only red light on the market which is? The DiNotte, and that’s $150+ retail.

You really think the guy who couldn’t see YOU or your hand signal is going to see some dinky little LED turn signal in the middle of the day?

13. Quinn says:

Mike-

The guy Had to of seen Me, I ride an ’07 XXIX, but he probably didn’t see my hand signal, because I had to put my hand down to steer, AnD I am not taking just during the day, here , during the day drivers are assholes, @ night, they are complete Morons! and you bet your ass I will add a 2+ lb. rear end light set-up if it will get attention.

14. Mike Myers says:

Quinn—-unless the lights are made with bright enough LEDs, they’ll be pretty much useless. Bright enough LED, to me, means something like the DiNotte, and I don’t think many people will see the benefit in adding $250+ to the price of a bike for turn signals. But that’s just me. It’s not the weight, it’s the cost. The lights would actually be pretty lightweight.

15. Sean says:

Quinn,

Most drivers won’t see a bike if it had fireworks launching out of your back rack. The same is true of motorcycles.

It doesn’t matter what a bike or a motorcycle looks like, most drivers are psychologically blind to anything without 4 wheels.

That’s why we have to take responsibility for our own safety.

Don’t ever assume a car or truck will let you in because you used a hand signal or have a turn signal. They probably don’t even know you exist.

16. Quinn says:

Sean-

Remind me to never hope on a bike when you get behind the wheel!

17. Jeremy says:

Yeah, you want a turn signal for your bike, fine. I think it’s lame, but you go on and build one. Me, I’d rather have E.T. so I could just fly over traffic.

18. David W. says:

In reference to Mike’s post asking:

“I have to wonder why someone would buy that when for the same price they can buy the Sojourn?”

There are a bunch of reasons; First and perhaps most importantly, some of us don’t like drop bars! (sure you can convert, but that’s a serious pain *and* an added expense). Second, the Sojourn has a steel frame with completely different geometry. And finally there’s the dynamo hub.

BTW, my local bike shop is putting the Detour Deluxe on the sales floor at $650 plus tax.

The Sojourn is undoubtedly a better tourer or high performance commuter, but for general city riding or dirt roads I’d argue that the Detour is a better choice.

19. Scott says:

Newbie here. Can anyone comment on how a men’s size 17 might compare to a women’s 16 or 19? From what I can tell, it seems to fall in between, except for the top tube length.

20. Siouxgeonz says:

Silly and ineffective… I’m not convinced (especially with your attitude and assumptions, Mr. Myers). My LBS dotes on me, btw :)

People don’t see me pointing when it’s dark.

I also prefer to steer with both hands.

Drivers are “trained” to respond to a pair of lights, one of which is flashing. It could be a car or a truck or a bicycle. I do understand there’s challenge to creating the right instantly processed visual effect, but it just might be worht further exploration.

I realize that I haven’t seen turn signals on European commuter vehicles (the ones with the full chainguards :) ) … but there are enough inherent differences in the transportation cultures so that I don’t think that’s enough to dismiss them for here.

21. Siouxgeonz says:

Sorry newbie if I’ve hijacked away from your question, which I am clueless about.

22. David W. says:

Re: Mens 17″

I got a 17 based on previous experience with a variety of frame sizes….it feels pretty small to me due to the sloping top tube, but I fit just fine (no brake parts sticking off the seat stays for my foot to hit :D ), but my old ride is an ’91 18″ Cannondale cross bike with geometry that’s much closer to road bikes than the Detours is.

I’d say that if you’re taller than 5’8″ you want to move up to the 19″ for sure and in the 5’6″-5’7″ range it’s up to personal preference…you could probably ride the 19″ with no problems. These frames seem to “run short” both in stand-over and reach to the bars compared to a bike with more traditional road geometry, or even most mountain bikes (which seem to have longer top tubes, or at least feel that way due to the straight bars).

I upgraded the lights on mine to Busch&Muller LED models with “stand-light” feature and *much* better headlight coverage, the stock units aren’t bad, but the upgrade is easy and not horribly expensive. The stock brake pad compound is a bit odd too, I’ll be swapping the “resin” Shimano pads out for some straight organics soon. Aside from that I really like mine so far, a great commuter/utility package for small money! Now all they need to do is pick a better frame color :P

23. Wayne B says:

I just purchased the 2009 model of this bike. I’ve not ridden it enough to give a full review yet, but my initial impression is that it is one of those machines that is more than the sum of its parts.

The closest thing I’ve had to it, in terms of pride of ownership, was a Nishiki Rally that I rode as my only transportation back in the 90s. It has that same quality feel to it. I am a clydesdale, so many bikes feel flimsy to me, but not the Detour Deluxe.

I also had a similar ’70s Motobecane touring bike during the ’80s. It also had a genset, rack, and full fenders. The fenders on the Detour Deluxe are not as stout as the old Motobecane fenders, but I’m sure they are much lighter. I missed that bike and am happy to have something like it again.

I feel that it is the perfect bike for me, living in the San Francisco bay area and having to pull very steep hills. The 24-speed gearset works out perfectly for me. The shifting is fine and the brakes work great. This is my first disk equipped bike, but they work better than the economy level V-brakes (which I had no complaints about) that were on my last bike.

The suspension seatpost is a dissapointment. I had hoped that it would offer a similar feel to my 2003 Motobecane DS600 rear suspension, but it has a lot of stiction. It basically feels like a hardtail bike until you hit a big bump and then it absorbs the shock. It does not absorb small bumps.

I have added a set of folding baskets to carry stuff and a bottle cage. I have also purchased a computer, but have not installed it yet. I just ordered a Lezyne Pressure Drive Pump and another bottle cage.

I plan on adding a battery powered tail-light to add visibility and upgrading the headlight to an Inolight. Other than that, I’ll just wait and see if anything cries out to be upgraded.

24. Wayne B says:

Forgot to mention, I’m 6′ with a 32″ inseam and wound up on the 21 size, rather than the 19. It does seem to run a size smaller than other bikes.