Ortlieb Bike Bags & PanniersXtracycle Bike Cargo Kits, Parts and AccessoriesMiiR Bottles one4oneRideKick Electric Powered Bike TrailerCommuter Bike Store Fuji TahoeBionX: Electrify Your BikeBanjo Brothers Affordable Cycling GearBike Tech Shop - The Experts on Cycling with CircuitryPlanet Bike: Better bike products for a better worldElectric Bike ReportCygoLite Bike Lights: Engineered to ShineChrome Bike Backpacks and Messenger Bags

GT Transeo

by Richard Masoner

For those who think the $1900 Breezer Finesse is a bit much for a commuter bike, here is GT Bicycle’s take on the utility bike: The GT Transeo Series.

GT Bicycles Transeo

It’s fairly bare bones, but this bike starts at $395. Unlike some fancier commuter bikes introduced at Interbike 2007, you don’t have to worry about this bike getting stolen or scratched up. It has wide open clearance for whatever kind of tire you want to install, as well as mounting points and room for fenders, racks, and whatever other accessories you want to add.

45 Responses to “GT Transeo”

1. Brent says:

Not to be a stickler, but that looks more like a GT than a Giant. At least from the name on the downtube there.

Yes, you’re right — it’s a GT. I’ll correct this post and title.

3. Quinn says:

What level components? is their different groupos?

4. Sue says:

Sorry – I’d still worry about it getting swiped. Then again, four hundred bucks isn’t nothing in my book.

5. Quinn says:

Sue,

If the price goes much lower, you get into wal-mart quality, which won’t get you To work. been there done that!

6. Sue says:

Not saying it isn’t worth the money at all. Not saying the price should be lower. ( Not sure how my words could be interpreted as saying such. )

I would still worry about it getting swiped.

If something worth four hundred dollars got swiped, that would be a matter of concern. Bicycles worth that much *do* get swiped; therefore, I would have concerns about it, especially since it I’d accessorize.

7. Adam Durand says:

Too bad to see a commuter bike sold without stock fenders and a rack. I’ve seen many bikes of reasonable quality sell with fenders and racks in place for under $400.

8. Quinn says:

Adam,

What do you mean by a commuter bike? Commuter specific bike?

Speaking for myself, I am Not a weight weenie, but I am a minimalist racks, panniers, fenders etc, just get in the way. besides Many bikes come with mounting holes for a rack, giving the rider the choice.
    and Fender mounting holes, again giving you the choice. The extra cost, I just picked up a rear fender for $15.

9. Adam Durand says:

By commuter bike I’m referring to a bike built specifically for commuting. I think these new bikes, including the “GT Transeo” referenced in the post above, are marketed as such. They’re not built for speed, lightweight, or minimalism. They focus on usability and utility. They’re the kind of bike you’d ride in all sorts of conditions.

I may be presumptuous in my assertion that commuter bikes should come with fenders and racks – maybe not every commuter wants them – but I’ve only been caught in the rain once without fenders, and never again will I let that happen! Sheldon Brown said it best when he said: “if you are a serious cyclist, and don’t live in a desert climate, you really should have at least one bicycle with fenders.”

10. Quinn says:

Ok I have decided that I am Way more hard core than the average commuter.
    Maybe its just this area, any one else know of commuters that ride a fixie, sitting on 23Cs through a torrential rain, no helmet or fenders, in rush hour?

That’s the kind of riding that happens here in Reno

I don’t consider fenders essential, even in heavy rain. They’re nice to have for several good reasons, but even many “serious” cyclists decline to ride when it’s wet out. It rained a little today where I’m at, and the number of bike commuters dropped probably 80%.

12. Adam Durand says:

If preferring walking into the office with wet road grime on the seat of your pants rather than dealing with how much fenders get in the way makes someone hard-core, then I am as soft-core as they come!

It’s probably a lot of fun to commute on a minimalist fixie with 23Cs – in fact, I may try a setup like that for my commute on nice days next spring. But if you sold something like that commercially, I don’t think “commuter bike” would be the category to put it in on your web site.

13. Mike Spence says:

I have never seen so much passive-aggressive bickering in my life. I am just getting back into cycling after a 10-year hiatus (before that I was a BMX guy). I have to say, I hope the people posting here are not a representation of the cycling community.

14. Sue says:

SNork! BOy… “I hope the people posting here aren’t representative…” Seems you prefer direct attacks on the people instead of discussing the words. To each!

15. Mike Spence says:

My apologies.

I may have misread what was being said in previous posts. Guess I just woke up on the wrong side of the bed on April 21. I suppose that these were not the best words for me to choose in announcing to e-strangers that I am getting back into cycling. I think “this is a great Web site from which I have gotten a lot of good info in the past few weeks” would have been a better choice of words.

Again, I apologize.

16. Siouxgeonz says:

Stick around :) Otherwise we’ll only kknow you by your first impression ….

17. Mike Spence says:

I ordered a 2008 Transeo 3.0 (upgraded components from the one shown above). I rode the 4.0 and it was pretty nice, but thought that the upgrades were definitely worth $100.

Any recommendations for fenders? I am going to ride this thing at least until the Michigan snow begins falling regularly.

It’s good to see that GT is still making decent products, considering the period of corporate upheaval it has gone through in recent years. I used to BMX on a GT in the early-mid 1990s.

18. Franklin says:

Just got a Transeo 4.0 last week. My Crossroads was stolen. I like it better. I’m not old so this suits me better. Its quite abit lighter, I am planning on accesorizing.

19. Franklin says:

excuse what I said before, I got a 2.0 not a 4.0. I love it so far, I had to swap out those tires though,Instead of 700×35 tready tires that popped alot, I got some Armadillo’s

To anyone that gets this bike, the REDWALLS look really good

20. Franklin says:

My bad it was the 4.0 that I got, the one pictured above. Just put a cetma rack on it

21. Dan says:

I’ve had a 3.0 for a couple of months. It really grows on you.

22. Jeff says:

Just got a Transeo 3.0 this week. Great bike. I think they call it a “Fitness” or “Sport Road” bike? Whatever that means. I kind of think of it as cross between a comfort and a mountain bike. I definately want to upgrade the tires to a little bit wider of a tire. The current tires are fine just a little to much like a road tire. Any ideas? Someone mentioned Armadillo’s?

23. Franklin says:

Yeah I got Armadillos on mine. But I went thinner, it had 35′s and I put 28′s on it. Its nice and fast. My shop called it a fitness/commuter bike.

24. Jeff says:

Yea, I’m coming from a mountain bike background so I’m looking at jumping up to 42′s. Continental Contact Ex. Lights look pretty good. I really like the versatility of this bike. If your stuck in between choosing a comfort bike and mountain this give you the best of both worlds.

25. Franklin says:

Well I’ve been commuting on My ’68 Varsity for a while, and putting all of my money into my fixed gear project. The transeo has just been sitting for a while, but I started using it regularly again this week. I bought a few things for it. I finally bought a set of fenders for it.Planet Bike Hardcore Hybrids. My shop put those on. I am putting some SPD pedals, lights, and a rear rack on as well. I really don’t need a rear rack, since the Cetma 7 rail holds pretty much everything. It would give it the complete commuter look.

I plan to alternate between it and my fixie for the CHicago Winters, using the transeo on the really bad days, and for trails and stuff since it will have studs.

26. Craig says:

I need help and you guys seem to know your stuff. I have no idea which bike to get.. I’ve just started to get serious about cycling to work and intend swapping my old Diamond Back for a newer model. Looking to spend around.£300/$600 and I’m spoiled for choice between the GT Transeo series, Specialized Sirrus and a Mongoose or two.

I know all of these are good bikes so I tried to rely on aesthetics to help me decide.. but, again, they all look so damn good.

I cycle in Glasgow (Scotland) and most of my journey is by road and maintained cycle routes so no terrain as such. Help please!!

Craig, any of those bikes will probably do fine. The Sirrus seems especially popular in my area (San Francisco Bay Area). I’m not at all familiar with Mongoose’s current product line so I can’t comment on their bikes.

28. Jeff says:

I really like my ‘GT Transeo’. I’d say if looks don’t sway you either way, what about the seating position? Then the big one, start comparing components on each of the bikes. Brakes, front & rear derailers, shifters, rims, front fork shock & it’s travel distance, etc…….

29. Will says:

I’ve had my Transeo for around 6 months now. Not very long, but enough to get to know it. I’m not experienced at all with expensive bikes, but I find it hard to see why you’d need to spend more than the price of the GT. I’ve had no problems with it at all, and find it comfortable to ride.

I’m in the UK, and next year plan to cycle from Land’s End to John o’Groats (around a 900 mile route) on my Transeo.

30. Jeff says:

How does everyone like the GT? I just bought one the other day and can’t wait to start riding it to work. I picked up the planet bike fenders and are very happy with them. I am thinking about adding a rear rack buy my commute is only .8mi and don’t know if I would really use it.

31. Craig says:

I ended up getting a Trek Soho. I guess I was sold by the disc brakes.. it’s been great so far. Thanks to you guys for your advice.

32. Sam says:

I just placed my order for a GT Transeo Ltd (labelled Transcend in the UK) and can’t WAIT to take receipt of it!

The thing that sold it for me was the internal gear hub. No way do I want a bike with standard gears again after trying this baby out! And for.£430 I think that’s a pretty reasonable price too! Through cyclescheme.co.uk I should get it for.£280 in total (with helmet, mudguards, new saddle, lights, chain etc)

33. Sim says:

Hi Sam,I’m really tempted to get one of these bikes as well (the transeo ltd). In “The bicycle buyer” magazine it has an rrp of 529.99 GBP so I’d like to know where you got yours from (alas my employer doesn’t do the cycle to work scheme). Also I’m very keen to hear how you are getting on on the bike. I live in London and have a 6 mile commute, the first 2 of which I’m pulling my 5 year-old daughter along on a tag-along, and thereafter have lots of pot holes and kerbs to negotiate so am interested in something sturdy and easy to maintain. Also don’t want anything too expensive or flashy – my last bike a nice 1000 GBP no suspension mtb got nicked – the thieves picked a 50 GBP Oxford lock in about 10 mins in front of a cctv camera in about 10 mins in the pouring rain!

34. Fiona says:

I have had a Transeo 5.0 for 7 weeks now, and commute to and from work each day, and LOVE it. That was until it was stolen this weekend. I am not ashamed to say I have cried buckets, because like the earlier poster, the $500 (australian) that I spent on it was alot of money for me, so I cannot replace it easily. Lock it up people, that’s my advice. What a horrible day.

35. Ruth says:

I’m trying to decide between the GT Transeo 4.0 and the Trek Allant, both WSD. Any advice? Does anyone think one is better than the other?

36. Doug says:

I’m plannng on buying a GT Transeo 3.0 Disc for general iuse – primarly on a combined dirt road/paved road course – for cardio and general fun. I’m buying it from REI. Any suggestions?

37. Jeff says:

You might want to rethink the disc brakes. I have them on my mountain bike and they are a pain in the @ss. They add unnecessary weight and the maintenance is costly. I opted for the regular V brakes on my Transeo and they work perfectly fine.

38. Junior says:

I just got a ’09 GT Transeo 3.0 Disc bike and I really like it. My only issue is that the saddle it came with is really painful. It caused severe pain and numbness in my prostate and soft tissue areas. Never felt that before. Any suggestions on a good brand and model of a seat that will prevent this from occurring? Also, what’s a good rear rack for this bike? Thanks!!!

39. Jeff says:

I have a ’08 GT Transeo 3.0′ as well (no disc brakes). I decided to upgrade my seat as well. I went with a ‘Selle Royal Lookin Moderate’. Great seat, very comfortable and affordable. I got mine for under $40 including shipping. Investigate that brand they have a selector to help you pick what you want. http://www.selleroyal.com/
    You might want to look at the Selle Respiro too. FYI – Not as much padding or as comfortable as the Lookin.

On a side note: I also upgraded my tires to ‘Continental Contact ExtraLight Reflex Tires’ 700×42. They’re slightly wider & smoother riding than the standard tires. More of a touring tire. Which is what I wanted.

For a rack it depends on how much capacity you need to carry. I got a simple rack from a local bike shop that anchors to the seatpost and has a bag. $20 for the rack and $20 for the bag.

Hope this helps, good luck.

40. Just got the LTD says:

Just got my Transeo LTD. I was torn between this and a Raleigh model with the same 8 speed hub. I used to commute to work on a mountain bike, this is a whole new world. The bike is very fast, the gearing gives me all the range that I need on a hilly commute. I still getting used to the motion fork. I’ll be adding mudguards and a chainguard to keep my clothes clean, but other than that the bike is perfect!

41. Tony says:

Can I put forks with shocks on the 4.0? I like the 4.0 but think I would prefer the shocks. I should have upgraded off the bat but didn’t.

42. Jeff says:

Remember that if you ride in the winter where there are salty roads the shocks will get destroyed.

43. Jeff says:

I just bought an Transeo GT 4.0 on craigslist in Kansas City for $200.00. The bike has the fenders, water cages, and computer and is mint condition wise! It looks brand new. The guy bought it in the fall of 2008 and only used it a couple of times, because he ended up using his other training bikes more.

So far, so good as far as my impression of this bike. Seems like I got a steal for $200.

44. Ez says:

I just got the transeo 2.0 and I love it. I use for local riding and I plan to use it starting next week for the whole summer to pull my kids in a 2 seated trailer over grass and bumpy paved paths.

I bought my Instep trailer last year for my old bike but the hitch does not fit on the transeo. The hub for the back wheel has some bump in the frame that prevents the hitch from attaching.

Does anyone know of a universal hitch that would carry the instep trailer and attach to the transeo? Or does anyone know if Schwinn trailers fit on the transeo? Or any trailer that fits?