CygoLite Bike Lights: Engineered to ShineXtracycle Bike Cargo Kits, Parts and AccessoriesPlanet Bike: Better bike products for a better worldCommuter Bike Store Fuji CambridgeBionX: Electrify Your BikeRideKick Electric Powered Bike TrailerBike Bag Shop -- Grocery, Shopping, Market PanniersMiiR Bottles one4oneBanjo Brothers Affordable Cycling GearOrtlieb Bike Bags & PanniersChrome Bike Backpacks and Messenger BagsUtility Cycling - Use Your Bicycle

Kryptonite Bike Racks Installed in Portland, Oregon

by Commute by Bike

Kryptonite Blog:

One thing that was always on the plan was to provide some great cycling cities with permanent bike racks. We wanted to give cyclists in these cities and towns more places to secure their bikes when they were off exploring the city – or just doing daily errands.

It was a long process, longer than any of us expected, but in the end 4 cycling cities and towns will have bike racks installed – or already do. Portland, Oregon was the first city to see the bike racks. The first group was installed at the Pacific Northwest College of Art and seem to be full just about all the time.

keep reading…

Kryptonite Bike Lock Bike Stand

14 Responses to “Kryptonite Bike Racks Installed in Portland, Oregon”

1. The OX says:

Great idea, we need that down in Texas.

2. Patrick says:

Agreed. We need more in Austin. Funny though, those racks are just bolted to the ground. Wouldn’t you want to complete the loop and at least have the metal connect together at the ground, so there is no way to unbolt the rack, and just unloop it through the lock?

3. Patrick says:

after reading their site, Austin is next on their list! How cool! Out of all the cities in the U.S., they pick us? I’m so honored.

4. akatsuki says:

Are the cities paying for these things or is Kryptonite doing it for the adverts and fact that the more places there are to lock up the better for them? Are they better than the ones that are normally installed?

It is a shame that they aren’t sinking the bases into the cement, since those racks could be taken apart if someone really wanted to, those bolt tops are just begging for a power tool… Especially given that Kryptonite is putting their name on them.

5. Quinn says:

One more reason for me to move to Portland!

The way the Bolted bike racks are taken care of here is to cover the bolts in an expanding foam caulk, hardened it practically takes a jack hammer to get through it.

6. CJ says:

Just a question for all of you. Do you think that anyone in your respective cities would stop a bike thief who trying to unbolt the bike rack from the ground? In our town, I think they would. I suppose that in the dead of the night there is no one there to stop such activities, but how many bikes are locked up downtown at 3am in the morning? Maybe way more in a big city. But I find in our little community of 250K that the only bikes that are left downtown locked up overnight are of the POS variety that most criminals would rather just vandilize then try to steal.

peace out

7. Quinn says:

CJ-

u ever watch that Dateline, where a security expert broke into a car with a cinder block, in broad daylight, and no one did a damn thing! ?

8. Donna Tocci says:

Thanks for mentioning this, Tim. We appreciate it.
    OX and Patrick – look for those racks in Austin next week – 5 locations with 3 racks at each. – hopefully, they will be in the locations you need them to be.
    akatsuki – we’re paying for them and in most cases installing them, too. They are free to the cities.
    Happy Thanksgiving everyone!
    Donna
    Kryptonite

They’ve also been installed in the Chicago ‘burb of Blue Island, Illinois. Good job on the Krypto-look design of those inverted U racks — that’s marketing genius. Good job also, Donna, on your company’s continued sponsorship of pro-cycling events and initiatives.

Regarding the way they’re bolted in: If you look closely, you’ll see those nuts are not standard hexagonal nuts. They appear to be a rounded cap that you can’t turn or remove.

11. akatsuki says:

@CJ. I think you would have to be insane to try and stop someone stealing bikes on the street. Bikes are not so valuable so as to be worth risking your life with someone with very heavy bolt-cutters, other power tools, possibly weapons and low morals. I would just call the cops. That is what they are there for.

12. CJ says:

Quinn & akatsuki,

Quinn, you make a good point. And no, I have not viewed that episode of dateline. I am a geek. I watch a lot of PBS.

akatsuki, I don’t know if I would approach a thief by myself, but I certainly would call the cops and start writing down everything I could about that said thief. If I was with a group of cyclists then I would consider approaching the thief. There are power in numbers!! Ofcourse, I suppose you never know when someone will pull a gun. I may be wrong here, but I would guess the majority of bike thefts are done by young kids and Meth addicts. Meth addicts are sad people that are willing to do anything to get their next fix. But they generally don’t have weapons because they would sell the gun for Meth rather then use it. At least that is what our local police report to us.

Peace out

13. bikesgonewild says:

…three little words…cell phone cameras…

…fairly inconspicuous AND you can not only call your local police department. but you can send the evidence pics to their website…

…just remember to program your local departments actual number into your phone as a 911 call could go anywhere in your area code…

14. Thanks for your sharing.
    I appreciate your information.