Banjo Brothers Affordable Cycling GearMiiR Bottles one4oneBionX: Electrify Your BikeElectric Bike ReportRideKick Electric Powered Bike TrailerOrtlieb Bike Bags & PanniersCygoLite Bike Lights: Engineered to ShineCommuter Bike Store Fuji TahoeChrome Bike Backpacks and Messenger BagsXtracycle Bike Cargo Kits, Parts and AccessoriesBike Tech Shop - The Experts on Cycling with CircuitryPlanet Bike: Better bike products for a better world

Protect your wheels, seat and bars from theft

by Commute by Bike

You may already have a U-Lock, but your bike also faces the danger of having it’s components stolen while it’s locked up. You can fiddle with moving the front wheel and taking the seat with you, but that can be time consuming and annoying.

There is a product on the market that allows you to lock your components to the bike so all you have to do when you’re out and about is U-Lock your bike and go with no worries.

Pinhead Components Bike Locking SystemPinhead Components locking system locks your front wheel, rear wheel, seat, and handlebars to your bicycle frame:

Each Pinhead locking component replaces the standard fastener (pin assembly or hex nut) that your bike was built with. Install the locking components, then forget they’re there. Once installed, the lightweight, unobtrusive Pinhead locking fasteners remain on your bicycle when you ride, protecting your components from theft. If you do need to remove a component for bike maintenance, your unique locking key lets you easily and quickly remove any component.

6 Responses to “Protect your wheels, seat and bars from theft”

1. Jen (SLC) says:

I have the Hublox from Delta:

They’re similar to the Pinhead skewers, but a bit cheaper.

2. Quinn says:

I have never heard of bars being stolen, but I can see it, now thay it is mentioned, with fixies etc. I forgot about locking compression caps also

locking scewers would piss Me off.

I do use a bolted seat collar

I always lock my rear wheel, and always use a cable lock, enabling me to lock_up frame and both wheels, when needed

3. Shanyn says:

My u-frame allows me to get a standard size u-lock through the bike frame with enough room to secure it to a bike rack or metal post . The bike also came with an “integrated” rear lock that locks the back wheel to the bike. Lack of quick-release skewers for the front wheel and seat have kept everything secure thus far. After having a bike stolen 2 years ago on my college campus, I got wise to how to lock up and camoflage my pricey commuter ride–although forking out almost $80 for a Kryptonite New York Faggettaboudit U-lock made me choke…

4. d-a-n-i-e-L says:

Having been a bicycle commuter in Portland, then NYC, then San Fran and now back in NYC for over 20 years I unfortunately have some experience with parts theft. Here are my tips:

1. File off the stupid safety tabs on your front fork, they’re for morons that can’t figure out how to use a quick release. This allows you to pop your front wheel off in under 5 seconds (if I can do it a thief can too) and lock it to your frame.

2. Use a crappy looking seat and seat post. I put a new seat on last year, it was stolen the same day, and it was a $15 seat. So I’m back to my 18 year old Flite with no leather, just a plastic seat at this point, still pretty comfortable though.

3. I have had my handlebars stolen twice, really sucks. Now I fill up my stem bolt(s) with glue. It makes it a pain in the butt to change your handlebars, but really, how often do you do that?

Other little things, don’t use nice quick release skewers, thieves will take those too. Get the smallest U lock that will fit through your front wheel, rear wheel, and frame and a post. The bigger the U lock, the more places a thief can put a leverage bar and pop your lock. Seen those mangled looking locks all over the place? A 6′ 2×4 will pop pretty much any U lock if it can be inserted between the post and the lock.

So what does all this experience mean? I commute on a nice Salsa 853 frame with ultegra components, a king headset and custom wheels without fear of some moron crippling my ride home. Drop me a line at stuff at djlk dot com with questions.

5. Richard says:

Daniel, what kind of glue do you use for the stem bolts? (good idea, btw)

6. d-a-n-i-e-L says:

I just use plain Elmers Wood Glue. To remove it, get it wet and use your handy dandy dentist pick (a very good tool for every toolbox) to pry it out.