Banjo Brothers Affordable Cycling GearOrtlieb Bike Bags & PanniersCommuter Bike Store Fuji TahoeMiiR Bottles one4oneRideKick Electric Powered Bike TrailerBike Bag Shop -- Grocery, Shopping, Market PanniersXtracycle Bike Cargo Kits, Parts and AccessoriesCygoLite Bike Lights: Engineered to ShinePlanet Bike: Better bike products for a better worldBionX: Electrify Your BikeUtility Cycling - Use Your BicycleChrome Bike Backpacks and Messenger Bags

XYZ Bikes Men’s Cruiser – Out of the Box

by Warren T

I took a little heat a while back when I reviewed the Gary Fischer Mendota. A few of you were disappointed that that bike cost around $1,000. What about people who are considering commuting by bike but don’t want to shell out a bunch of money in the event they decide it isn’t for them? So I’ve kept my eyes open for some inexpensive options.

Behold, XYZ Bikes. They have several men’s and women’s cruisers priced around $100. I thought I’d give it a shot. Looking at their website I got to reminiscing about my first bike, a Western Auto coaster bike. It might be fun to ride a bike with no gears and no hand brakes again. Ordering the bike was easy and shipping was quick. I opted for the 26″ Man Deluxe Thick Frame Beach Cruiser – Black – $95

I got home from work and everyone else was gone. There in the entry way was the box from XYZ and since there was nothing good on TV and no one around to hear me in the event something went wrong — I decided to put it together.

XYZ In the Box

My dog Maggie couldn’t believe I was going to attempt to assemble the bike myself, but the website said it would only take around 15 minutes. We’ll see…

Box Open

I’ve opened the box and the clock is now running.

XYZ 3

I had my doubts about putting the thing together myself, but then again I’ve had my share of late night bike assembly sessions putting together presents for the kids. I grabbed a crescent wrench, screwdriver and hex driver. I admit that I was a little concerned when I didn’t see any instructions in the box but decided to proceed.

Ten minutes later

No problem, here is the bike ten minutes after opening the box.

19 minutes after opening the box

Nine minutes after that I was done… Really, all I needed to do was put on the front wheel, the handle bars, pedals and seat. Of course now that I was done I checked the website again and found the link for their instructions.

I’ve got to admit I’m looking forward to taking it out although my route can be a bit hilly. I’ll let you know how it well it works. Stay tuned.

The Chariot Summer Sale - 2013

17 Responses to “XYZ Bikes Men’s Cruiser – Out of the Box”

Talk about “Brand X” :-) Is this a “one size fits all” bike? How much does it weigh? I see they have models with fenders, too. I see quite a few big fat tire cruiser bikes on my commute. Love those white sidewalls!

2. Marrock says:

Add fenders and a rear rack and you’re all set.

But what I’m wondering is why you didn’t get the handlebar streamers and spoke beads?

3. Noah says:

Dude, you have to let me borrow that for a few days when you’re done breaking it in. I sooo want to show up to my bus stop on that. My wife won’t let me commute on her her step-through (read: girl’s frame) Townie 3s. This would be the next best thing.

4. Noah says:

By the way, don’t let CAT know you threw that together on the carpet. She’d have your hide.

5. Warren T says:

Noah — that’s why I did it when she wasn’t home… I didn’t mention her reaction when I told her I was getting yet another bike. Fortunately, however, she had just gotten another Little Giant ladder delivered the previous day. She gets cool toys too.

Fritz — the answers to these and many other questions are coming soon.

Marrock — 8^) I’m actually going to order the basket and fenders. Streamers? Hmmmmm.

A ladder?

You should totally get streamers. And maybe applique flowers, too.

Noah, those cruiser bars look kinda cool but they’re a major pain for taking on the bus if there are other bikes on the rack. They get all tangled up with everybody else’s bike.

7. Noah says:

That’s not my problem now, is it? :P

There’s another guy who gets on and off at the same place as I do in the morning. He rides an absolutely ginormous hybrid bike – 62cm. I’ve thrown any of my bikes on the rack with his and they seem to be fine. Worse case scenario is that I have one awkward morning. He rides a different bus at night, and I always have the front rack to myself.

That’s assuming that WT lets me borrow it when he’s had his fun, though…

I’d borrow it in a second. Still, trading bikes like that sounds a little kinky; a bit like wife swapping in a way.

9. Choke says:

If you have a bike, why would you need the bus?

But, yeah, cruisers are neat. I’m digging on Felt’s MP at the moment. I’m thinking a set of Berthoud 732 panniers would look pretty sweet on one.

10. ChunkyMonkeyBiker says:

Hey man, an analogy….
    Trek:xyz
    VW:Porche

11. Matt says:

I built my wife a similar bike for her birthday , a 7-speed Pink cruiser. She demanded the basket and streamers. Assembling it wasn’t hard, but I ended up having to take it to the LBS to get the derailleur adjusted.

12. Marrock says:

And lose the cruisers, get apehangers.

13. Logan says:

Wow, if that bike doesn’t fall apart after 6 miles it might just be an awesome buy. How much does it weigh? Seems like a good spare bike to loan to friends when they visit.

14. chunkymonkeybiker says:

This bike sounds good. The problem I have had in the past with bikes like this in the past is the kick brake. I have burned out a few after short distances. Is Shimano the only kick brake cruiser rear wheel? Also, how is this bike different than a Swobo Folsom? I know the obvious answers; $, gray color, cool gooseneck, dangerous name, cool looking welds, bottle opener seatpost, (wow, it really does sound cool)….It does have that same Shimano kick brake though.

15. Lem says:

I got an XYZ apehanger cruiser and you really cant beat it for the
    money. I rode it in the hills of Vermont and enjoyed the looks I got
    from the carbon-lycriod roadies. The only caveat is the tubes.
    I had on rip completely up both seams andf the other popped
    from being heated up in the sun during the garage sale I
    had it in. Really. Change them out !!!!!!

16. MIKE says:

WAS THE FRAME ALUMINUM OR STEEL ?