Planet Bike: Better bike products for a better worldCommuter Bike Store Breezer Uptown InfinityRideKick Electric Powered Bike TrailerOrtlieb Bike Bags & PanniersMiiR Bottles one4oneElectric Bike ReportChrome Bike Backpacks and Messenger BagsXtracycle Bike Cargo Kits, Parts and AccessoriesBionX: Electrify Your BikeBanjo Brothers Affordable Cycling GearBike Tech Shop - The Experts on Cycling with CircuitryCygoLite Bike Lights: Engineered to Shine

New Cycling Safety Signs a Possibility in Seattle

by Commute by Bike

look out for bikesAccording to this post over at Bike Hugger, Seattle is considering a new street sign to raise awareness about the issue of cyclists getting doored.

If you don’t know what being “doored” means, it’s when you are riding close to cars on the street and someone unexpectantly kicks open their car door right in front of you. This has caused many injuries and deaths and it’s good to see Seattle considering this move to keep people safe.

Currently they’re doing a survey to find out if the sign correctly conveys the messages, so click here to check it out.

Have you ever been doored? What was the result? Was the blame placed correctly on the driver?

9 Responses to “New Cycling Safety Signs a Possibility in Seattle”

1. Anonymous says:

I have never been doored, but I know its a matter of time.

the one thing I don’t get, or that you never hear about is the cars getting messed up.
    From my auto mechanic training, I know that a cyclist can get Really hurt, but then you have to factor in the velocity of the cyclist and flimsy construction of some doors resulting in one hella screwed up door.

2. danielo says:

I’m of the opinion that most cities are already a sea of signs, and that one more is unlikely to make any difference. Frankly, I think a driver who WASN’T conditioned to ignore signage would be a hazard, because there is no way a person could keep up with all the instructions and still watch the road. The only way to prevent dooring is to ride well out of the door range. I’ve commuted exclusively by bike for nearly 2 years, and have never been doored — because I just take the lane when I need.

City bus drivers like to tell dooring stories. Those definitely end up with “hella screwed up door.”

If motorists don’t watch out for huge city buses, they’re not going to watch for cyclists. Stay outside the door zone.

4. Tim Grahl says:

Although I agree that street signs aren’t going to solve the problem… I do like the fact that Seattle is aware of a cycling related problem and taking at least some small steps to fix it. This is where I think some locals can get involved and guide the city to better solutions to a problem.

But either way, the hardest part is done… the city sees a problem and wants to help. That’s huge in and of itself.

5. bikesgonewild says:

…hah !…most people just push the door open, climb out & look at you, the cyclist, like “why are you riding near my car”…these are same ones that honk at you as they pass if you’re riding far enough over to not get doored…& thats just before they cut you off as they pull into that available parking space they’ve finally spotted…you know, the one you’re not gonna take from them cuz you are on your bike…
    …a wonderful cyclic dichotomy…the pedaling mandala…

6. JiMCi says:

No need for signs. Change the old hinged door concept to this one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AAtkoje4-eM !

7. Matt S. says:

Since reading this article, I’ve been intrigued by the idea of having less traffic signs. I’m not sure a completely sign-free city would work in the US, but I think less is better.

I have a hard time believing that all the “Slippery when wet” and “Deer Crossing” signs prevent accidents. What really annoys me are the “Stop Sign Ahead” and “Reduced Speed Ahead” signs. All this visual noise distracts you from what’s actually happening on the road.

I would prefer the drivers keep their eyes on the road and look out for cyclists, not be distracted by signs of stick figures on bikes.

8. xSmurf says:

I agree that signs might not be the real solution. Why isn’t it part of the driving lessons/tests? That’d make it clear. Anyhow, it came close so many times yet one keeps popping in my mind. I was riding on a smoothly paved long downhill slope. Nice road to ride, many cars, but there’s a bike lane (painted, one way) on the right. I was tailing another ride and we were riding at around 20mph when we were forced to deviate by a police car half way parked in double. Right as we were passing the car, the officer opened her door. it came *real* close! I sure hope this cop now knows better!

9. Davey Oil says:

I for one hope these signs do catch on. Dooring is a serious problem, cyclists are often hurt by getting doored or by swerving into traffic to avoid getting doored. I agree with some of the above commenters that signs are not the only or best solution but as the post implies, the struggle to reduce doorings is a struggle for awareness more than anything else. I couldn’t disagree more with bikesgonewild’s comment above. I do not see dooring as all that similar to motorist agression. I have cycled as my only transportation for amost 20 years and been doored with contact four times. I have been almost doored (doored, no contact) more times than I can bear to admit. Probably at least twice a month for 20 years? Sure, sometimes doorers are hostile and entitled, but they are more often just confused. I think any attempts to educate these clueless and dangerous road users should be encouraged. Maybe someone (SDOT, Cascade Bike Club, Bike Alliance) could start a billboard and busboard campaign like the “Give three feet” campaign? I am just thinking on screen here…
    Signs, at parking sign height to remind drivers and passengers to look before they openm their door? Great idea, says me!