Banjo Brothers Affordable Cycling GearCommuter Bike Store Fuji CambridgeOrtlieb Bike Bags & PanniersPlanet Bike: Better bike products for a better worldMiiR Bottles one4oneXtracycle Bike Cargo Kits, Parts and AccessoriesBionX: Electrify Your BikeElectric Bike ReportBike Bag Shop -- Grocery, Shopping, Market PanniersRideKick Electric Powered Bike TrailerChrome Bike Backpacks and Messenger BagsCygoLite Bike Lights: Engineered to Shine

Coffee By Bike

by Noah

Coffee By Bike

I enjoy a nice, French Pressed coffee. For the un-initiated, a French Press (pictured left above) is a container in which coffee grounds and near-boiling water are stirred together and allowed to steep for a few minutes. When the brewing process is complete, the plunger is pressed down. This strains all of the coffee grounds out of the coffee and stops the brewing process.

The French Press in the above photo is one that’s near and dear to me as it just so happens to fit snugly into a standard bicycle bottle cage. It can also be filled with plain old hot coffee, but the press mechanism might trap a little bit of your coffee in the bottom of the mug. This particular one is vacuum insulated and keeps my coffee nice and hot even when I’m riding in the most frigid conditions that Kansas City can throw at me. I picked mine up here.

Another great site I ran across is Steven M. Scharf’s Bicycle Coffee Systems website. It has a bunch of coffee/bicycle related information, including a links to special bottle cages and bicycle cup-holders for odd-sized travel mugs and regular travel mugs that happen to fit nicely in standard bottle cages.

Are there any other caffeine fiends out there? How do you carry your hot beverages in the winter?

22 Responses to “Coffee By Bike”

1. bob says:

Fellow coffee fiend here. I drink my coffee at home. but mine gets pressed with an Aeropress…

2. Javier says:

That portable press looks pretty neat, but wouldn’t the coffee keep brewing (and thus get nasty) if you just let it sit in the mug with the liquid, even if you press it into the end of the mug?

3. Cafn8 says:

I carry mine internally, but the travel press looks very interesting.

4. Noah says:

Javier: I thought it might as well, but surprisingly it really does stop the brewing process dead in its tracks. The screen is fine enough that the liquid that remains in the bottom pretty much stays there. That includes the bumps and agitation that go with being in a bottle cage.

The last swig can taste a bit over-extracted but other than that, I’ve got nothing but great things to say about it.

5. Arleigh says:

Due to my commute being about an hour long I tend to slam a cup of coffee as I’m getting dressed in the morning and then arrive at work and make another cup. The thing that sucks about that is at home I have wonderful organic beans with a coffee press to going into work with a Dunkin Donut standard drip coffee maker.

6. Leaf says:

I have the luxury of a bicycle path for most of my commute, so no stop lights to make me stop long enough to sip coffee en route. But I do bring coffee from home to work. to that end, I throw this in my bag–with my laptop. no leaks, keeps things hot.

7. joel says:

Nothing that fits into a bottle cage could hold enough java for me, so I go with a 1L thermos (Nissan) that rides either in the mes bag or in one of the baskets. It’s kept coffee hot enough to drink for over 24 hours (left over that I forgot to pour out when I got home from work, still steaming the next morning when I opened it up) which is good enough for me.

8. Noah says:

The beauty is that a packet of fresh-ground coffee fits nicely into almost any bag (seat wedge, backpack, panniers, fanny pack etc) and if you have a microwave or boiling water tap at work, you can make as much coffee with the French Press as your little heart desires.

I, too, have an Ozark Trail brand vacuum stainless flask that can keep coffee too-hot-to-drink for over 24 hours. If it’s more than half full it keeps stuff pleasantly-drinkable hot for almost a solid 48 hours. Much longer and it’s in that 110-degree range which is too close to my body temperature for drinking. I’ve strapped it down to my rack on more than one occasion. For example, it’s a big hit on long, cold rides when I share my coffee with other riders.

9. Knuckles says:

I have an espresso or two, plus milk, plus grapefruit juice as I get ready (we got a Nespresso capsule system as a wedding gift- I’d have never bought one myself but it is nice for a quick shot).
    Then I make a half carafe of french press and put it in a thermos, so I have hot coffee after my 12 mile ride in.

10. James says:

Ahh. The glorious brew. I live near Cleveland and ride 16 miles each way. I prefer a fresh ground Columbian. In the summer I fill a typical travel mug that fits in the cage of my seat tube. It’s winter now, though and it has been in single digits and teens for the last two weeks. I find that I just drink a cup before I leave to warm me up. Handling travel mugs with gloves during the ride is difficult so I just pack it empty and stop at AJ Roccos coffee bar a few blocks from work to buy a cup. I like to patronize them, they host the monthly summer “Bike to Work Friday” breakfast and are rather empathetic (read: “free coffee”) to bike commuters who brave the really cold days.

11. CJ says:

I do the simple pour over cone filter into my thermos myself. I do like french press coffee, but the pour over method is easier. I have found that if I am lazy I can spend upwards of 20-30.00 per week in coffee if I am buying by the cup, and I am endulging in Lattes too. So, a 25oz thermos of coffee saves me a ton of cash weekly. More money to spend on bike parts I guess.

Peace out

12. Robert Sorenon says:

I dig the French Press. A simple easy device to use and carry. A fellow biker friend of mine owns a peticab and converted it into a mobile coffee shop in the mornings. He gives bike comnuters a discount which is very cool.

13. Jennifer says:

I chew on roasted beans, realize how desperate I am, and give up caffeine for the rest of the day. I’ll have to try the French press–thanks for the tip.

14. Julie says:

Glad to meet fellow cyclist caffeine fiends! I love the French press, and use it the exact same way as Noah. I also have one at work and keep some high quality coffee at work, fill the press with hot water from the communal water cooler, and I’m all set!

15. frd says:

I used to sling a big Thermos under the top tube using a couple of pieces of hook-and-loop tape around the handle. I thought it looked pretty cool.

16. getinlost says:

Before I put a drip machine in my “office” I would bring a small thermos in the mess bag.

17. kat says:

I have a travel mug from Starbuck$ that I use to carry my own home-brewed coffee. It seals completely, meaning no spills at all; it has a lid that can be opened with gloved fingers; and it has a slight hourglass shape which means it fits perfectly in a cage and can’t bounce out.

18. rick says:

I must be using the wrong bottle cages because I’ve been having a heck of a time finding a stainless steel press or thermos that fits

19. RainCityCyclist says:

Nice job, Noah! I’m a serious coffeholic and I also dig the french press. I have a cool frenchpress mug like yours, but mine is not bike-friendly. I typically drink before and after my ride. Have been thinking lately that I ride too hard on my commute and i should chill a bit. Maybe a nice full, hot french press mug in my bottle cage holder might be just the thing to get me to slow down and smell the beans…

Granted, I can’t count the number of coffee spots I pass on my commute, so there are ample spots for a stop and re-fill as well. Happy caffeinating!

20. Joy says:

Will it not leak? I got one for a christmas gift a couple of years ago and I am looking for a coffee mug so I won’t burn myself while biking. If I can just use that I will be extremely excited (it saves me money).

21. Mark Ceesay says:

I run a mobile coffeebike in Copenhagen, Denmark. Both the local and tourists LOVE it and i must say the business is good :)

See my videos at http://www.coffeebike.dk/blog