BionX: Electrify Your BikeXtracycle Bike Cargo Kits, Parts and AccessoriesUtility Cycling - Use Your BicycleRideKick Electric Powered Bike TrailerCommuter Bike Store Fuji TahoeBike Tech Shop - The Experts on Cycling with CircuitryBanjo Brothers Affordable Cycling GearMiiR Bottles one4oneOrtlieb Bike Bags & PanniersPlanet Bike: Better bike products for a better worldCygoLite Bike Lights: Engineered to ShineChrome Bike Backpacks and Messenger Bags

Commuter profile: Nina in Santa Cruz

by Richard Masoner

Nina and her husband live simply and off grid in the Santa Cruz mountains in California. She bikes a few miles into Scotts Valley, where she catches a bus to her job at the San Jose Tech Museum of Innovation, where she designs exhibits.

Nina the bike commuter

Although we sometimes ride the bus together, I only knew her as “yellow vest girl.” We met later at the local Climbing Gym where we exchanged contact info and she agreed to be profiled for Commute By Bike.

CBB: How did you get started in bike commuting?

Nina: I fell into bike commuting unexpectedly. I was never a biker–recreational or otherwise. When I moved to DC in 2003, I hadn’t ridden a bike since junior high. But I moved into a coop in DC with more bikes (11) than people (8) and it seemed like time to start. I started with a random free bike that was kicking around the garage, moved on to $50 Craigslist bikes, and after a series of unpleasant accidents and thefts, have now resettled in Santa Cruz CA with a new Sirrus hybrid.

DC fully indoctrinated me as a bike commuter, despite getting slammed badly a couple times, including once when I woke up in the hospital with a “suspected” broken neck (luckily, I walked away just fine). DC is just the right size for biking, with a smattering of nice car-free paths scattered among big, wide streets. When my husband sold his first company, we celebrated by buying a tandem. And the very first purchase I made in CA when we moved was my new bike.

Tell me about your commute in DC.

When I lived in DC, I worked for the International Spy Museum downtown, biking 4-6 miles each way a few days a week, running to work the other days. I was constantly making the tradeoff between distance and volume of crazy cars. After the worst accident, I stopped biking for several months, switching to a hybrid running/rollerblading/bus commuting system. But ultimately, I wanted the flexibility of the bike, and switched to slow, old bikes with great brakes. I bought an extremely dorky, fabulous construction vest that combines yellow reflective material with embedded blinking red LEDs. What I lacked in speed I made up for in confidence, or dumb hope, that I would be seen by drivers.

DC is hot and gross in the summer, cold and windy in the winter. There’s nothing like the feeling of the breeze zooming past you on a bike headed downtown in the summer, but in the winter I preferred the warmth of a run to the icy wind on the bike.

What about your commute these days?

Now in Santa Cruz, I commute by bike plus bus three days a week, drive the other two, somewhat dependent on evening plans on either side of the hill. Biking means leaving home at 6:30am, relying on my headlamp as I plunge downhill through the redwoods of our small valley, and then onto 2 lane canyon roads that wind uphill through vineyards and rooster calls. I see about 5 cars until the last half mile when I get close to the bus stop in Scotts Valley. Then, an express bus ride to San Jose, off at the first stop, and a quick, flat mile to work. It’s a lovely ride, with killer uphills in the morning, easy coasting at night. I’ve only been doing it since November, and the darkness is the only unpleasant part. I look forward to experiencing it in the warmer, lighter months to come.

Neither SPY nor The Tech provide any particular facilities for bike commuters. Fortunately, SPY had a shower. Unfortunately, I had a bike stolen once locked right in front of that museum. At The Tech, I’m blessed with a big enough office on a ground floor that I can easily store my bike inside.

I think it’s fascinating how you live.

We live in a cabin at the top of a small road in the Happy Valley area. It’s high tech/low tech living: my husband runs a virtual worlds firm (The Electric Sheep Company), I lead a virtual exhibit design program for a large museum, and yet we live in a home that runs on 12V batteries powered by solar panels. We are completely off the grid, using solar for electric lights, propane for the hot water heater and stove, and a wood stove for heat. We have composting toilets (buckets, really) and a gray water system for disposal of sink and shower water. It’s more rustic than high-tech green, and we look forward to making several improvements over the next few years to upgrade the solar, eliminate our reliance on propane and headlamps. We started 2008 with a big step in that direction–digging the trenches needed for cable internet. But in general, we love living 4 miles from downtown Santa Cruz in a place that feels like its own little world.

When we first moved to Santa Cruz, I expected to work from home along with my husband. I run the blog Museum 2.0 , which focuses on ways that museums can evolve into more user-centered, flexible, open institutions, and I’d planned to spend my time consulting for several museums and experience design firms. That made for a great summer, but when the job at The Tech came up I couldn’t say no. Solving the commuting problem (i.e. not wanting to drive over the hill every day) was a necessary challenge. While I can’t say I enjoy the fact that the bike and bus commute takes 1.5 hours each way, I sincerely love the opportunity to bike through the woods largely uninterrupted by cars. It’s a far cry from the shorter but much higher stress biking I did while living in Washington DC.

7 Responses to “Commuter profile: Nina in Santa Cruz”

1. Bill says:

You “have to” commute by bike/bus 1.5 each day?! Lucky dog.

Her bike commute is something like 30 minutes, I think. The bus ride is usually around 40 to 45 minutes. There’s WiFi Internet on the bus, but I don’t think Nina carries a laptop with her.

3. Rob L says:

Damn, I really want a new job that I can bike commute to somewhat regularly, how about an article on how to get a job closer to home???? :)

Great interview, and I’ve passed it around to a few bike friends too! Cheers!!

4. Seamus says:

“Nina and her husband live simply and off grid”

BRAVO!

5. Susan Amerikaner says:

Nina and her husband make the forecast for the 21st Century considerably brighter. They light up the world! Hallelujah!

6. katy says:

Nina, I’ve just arrived home from a trip abroad and my mind has been blown with the excess of stuff we use in America to live. I admire the direction you are going. If you are ever willing to write mroe about what that process has entailed, I bet a lot of people would be interested…:)
    thanks for the good read,
    katy

7. juan says:

We are Legitimate registered Company under licensed number(RC55724).We ship
    via UPS, and your ordered items will get to your door step within 48
    hrs(Two Working Day).We sell all kinds Cannondale, Cervelo, Ellsworth,
    Giant, Jamis, Klein, Kona, Litespeed, Rocky Mountain, Santa Cruz,
    Specialized, Trek, Gary Fisher bikes.

EMAIL ADDRESS ;

htg888@yahoo.com

htg888@live.com

htg19888@gmail.com

IF YOU DON’T SEE YOUR CHOICE HERE YOUR ASK FOR OUR FULL PRICE LIST OF THE BIKE.

Here are some of our best offers:

2009 Santa Cruz bike……….$1200usd

NEW 2008 GARY FISHER HiFi Deluxe Bike $1,600

NEW 2007 Giant Anthem 1 Mountain Bike $1,200
    NEW 2007 Giant Reign X0 Mountain Bike $1,800
    NEW 2007 Giant Tcr Composite 1 Road Bike $1,500

NEW 2007 Santa Cruz Blur LT Mountain Bike $2,400
    NEW 2007 Santa Cruz Nomad Mountain Bike $2,000
    NEW 2007 Santa Cruz V 10 Mountain Bike $2,400..

NEW 2008 WHYTE E-5 XT Bike $2000
    NEW 2008 WHYTE E-5 Works Bike $2,400
    NEW 2008 WHYTE E-120 XT Bike $2,500

Cervelo R3 Dura-Ace 2008 Bike $2100usd
    Cervelo RS Ultegra SL 2009 Bike $1200usd
    Cervelo S1 2009 Bike ..$900usd

AND MANY MANY … MODELS AVAILABLE AT THIS SPECIAL PRICE.

IF YOU ARE INTERESTED PLEASE REPLY US VIA MAIL.
    Contact :