BionX: Electrify Your BikeCygoLite Bike Lights: Engineered to ShineChrome Bike Backpacks and Messenger BagsCommuter Bike Store Fuji TahoeBanjo Brothers Affordable Cycling GearPlanet Bike: Better bike products for a better worldRideKick Electric Powered Bike TrailerXtracycle Bike Cargo Kits, Parts and AccessoriesBike Tech Shop - The Experts on Cycling with CircuitryUtility Cycling - Use Your BicycleMiiR Bottles one4oneOrtlieb Bike Bags & Panniers

Flint Michigan Commuter – Doug Cook

by Warren T

For your enjoyment, here is a very complimentary article in The Flint Journal regarding a fellow bike commuter, Doug Cook, who commutes in Flint, Michigan. Doug rides a 16 mile round trip whatever the weather may be, and this winter has been a tough one.

Doug is one of those rare individuals who really puts his principles into practice, and he really, truly believes in people-powered transportation,” said Crim Fitness Foundation program director Polly Sheppard, the (Safe and Active Flint) project coordinator. “Maybe we can’t all be Doug but he shows us it can be done.”

He has been braving the Michigan snows with three layers of clothing, halogen headlight and flashing green light on the handlebars, red flashers on his bike and helmet and red tube lights on a reflective vest (which I’d never considered before…).

“If someone can’t see me, they shouldn’t be driving,” Cook said, jokingly. “Almost everybody gives me a really wide berth. They want to stay away from this obviously crazy guy, and that’s just the way I like it.”

A kindred spirit has been found in Flint.

Doug’s transportation wish list:

• More bus routes linking the suburbs and urban centers.
  • Restripe roads to include bike lanes whenever possible.
  • Install bike racks and provide showers and lockers at businesses to make it easier for employees to walk and bike.
  • Image by Stuart Bauer | The Flint Journal

9 Responses to “Flint Michigan Commuter – Doug Cook”

1. Efried says:

Hi,

good guy! I also a snow addict

Efried

2. shorewoodmayor says:

let me be a big mouth and say that we need to tell the government how to make biking better. i don’t think that we need more meandering paths to nowhere. we need safe connections to work school and play. a safe path across the highway is more valuable and cheaper to build than a loop around the state that leads to nowhere. if you build it they will bike.

3. Eric says:

I’ve used LED glowsticks on many of my bikes, usually attaching them to a spoke on each wheel with a zip tie. Works excellent at night.

Another thing that helps is blue blinkie Schraeder valve caps available in the car section of most mart stores. I’ve also put LED Christmas lights on the bike too. Once had a cop stop me and ask where I got them because they were so distinct. :)

4. Kyle says:

Being originally from the Flint area, (now in Montana) I know too well the difficulties of commuting by bike in that area. Every year when I go back to visit family I’m amazed at how backwards the area is in regards to bicycles. It really makes me appreciate what I have out here in Montana.

5. Jett says:

Adding facilities is great, but I’ve had more satisfying success by simply asking people to ride with me.

Anything to get the numbers up is good. The more of us like Doug that ride, the more people will find that they can do it too. The more of us on the road, the more understanding and respect we’ll get from motorists (more motorists will be cyclists too).

Keep on pedaling!

6. keith says:

I live in Kalamazoo Michigan and only commute 3.5 miles a day. This guy makes me look like a sissy! This winter is definitely burlier than the last one.

Flint/Detroit is probably the least bikeable area in Michigan too.

7. Ian says:

Good to see a fellow Michigander out there! And another Kzoo rider (previous post). I can’t wait to get my new 925 all icy. Keep it up!

8. Gordie says:

I grew up in Flint and have logged thousands of miles on the city streets. It is not exactly a bike friendly place, but I was more concerned about my bike getting stolen than getting hit by a car.

9. Anonymous says:

ahhhhhhhhhhhh im board cant find stuff i need 2 look 4b ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh