Bike Tech Shop - The Experts on Cycling with CircuitryXtracycle Bike Cargo Kits, Parts and AccessoriesCygoLite Bike Lights: Engineered to ShineBanjo Brothers Affordable Cycling GearPlanet Bike: Better bike products for a better worldBionX: Electrify Your BikeUtility Cycling - Use Your BicycleCommuter Bike Store Fuji CambridgeOrtlieb Bike Bags & PanniersMiiR Bottles one4oneChrome Bike Backpacks and Messenger BagsRideKick Electric Powered Bike Trailer

Bicycle Storage – The Claw

by Warren T

Whirlpool’s Gladiator GarageWorks division announced yesterday that they will become the first major U.S. manufacturer to commercially produce a product from the ABC Television network reality show, American Inventor. From the press release:

The bicycle storage device prototype designed by Craig Forrest and David Moeller will be displayed at IBS then restyled, rebranded, renamed and relaunched by the brand in the coming months. To store a bicycle up to 50 pounds the device grasps a bicycle’s tire by opposing hooks when the central plunger is depressed. By re-pressing or “bumping the plunger” the device opens and unlocks for easy bicycle wheel removal without having to lift the bicycle over the top of a standard bike hook.

According to the Claw website, the Claw will be available this summer in Lowe’s, Sears and other Gladiator retailers. Looks cool, but my cheap hardware store, plastic covered hooks have been working fine in my cluttered garage for over 20 years. Work is a different matter. Do you think your employer might be willing to make a concession to allow something like this to be installed?

19 Responses to “Bicycle Storage – The Claw”

1. McAngryPants says:

I love gadgets…but…come on. Let the epic battle begin! Claw vs. Hook!!!

2. Dan says:

On first reaction, I thought this device was cool but then I realized “Wait, what was wrong with my hooks?”
    Perhaps like a lot of things, this is solving a problem that never existed

3. K says:

Seriously…how much work does this save?! At best it saves you an added two inches of lifting to get the wheel above the end of a hook. I have NEVER seen a hook fail, but I could see a bike getting dropped with an inadverdent bump or something. My final word…eh.

4. bikesgonewild says:

…sorry, but huge ‘duh’ factor here…

…as stated above, hooks don’t fail & hooks also allow you to place two hands on the bike for lifting, rather than all the weight of the bike coming down w/ one hand on the bike & one hand on the button…
    …i think it creates a bigger problem for the average person, than it solves…

…lemme check my calender…nope, it ain’t april fool’s day…

5. JoelGuelph says:

Though I agree that hooks are a “problem that doesn’t need to be solved”, I think the idea is that the wheel pushes the button so you can keep both hands on the bike.

6. bikesgonewild says:

…joelguelph…you know, you’re quite right…i overlooked that aspect…thanks for pointing that out…

…personally, i think i’ll stick w/ simple ol’ hooks…they’ve never failed me yet…something to be said for the kiss principle…

7. fixedgear says:

It’s insane. We have a tandem that cost as much as a good used car, and it’ hanging from two ninety-nine cent hooks. Like I said on my blg, I’ll buy hooks in bulk, repackage them as “bicycle-specific” and sell them for $9.99 which should make people with more money than sense very happy.

8. kay says:

this is great it is really easy to use and is much better than a hook as it does not get stuck over the hook when you try and get it of also a cheap hook straightens out after a while
    I rate the claw 110% any day!
    you cant judge something you have not tried

9. liesa says:

saw this on American Inventor and the best part of their demonstration was showing an 8-10 year old girl taking down her own bike. it also saves space because in order to get more than one bike on a wall, you’d have to “hook” them one on top of the other. with the claw, you can get hand them side by side. hmmm. sounds like much better use of dead wall space. i’m trying to get 2 for our small porch space.

10. nik says:

I think it would be very useful for my jogging stroller. I have a dinosaur of a model and it weighs a lot. Not having to maneuver around that hook will save my already aching back some strain. I’m in shape and strong, but let’s face it, who wants to have a massive stroller fall on their head?

11. anon says:

The claw is compicating something that works. Good designs minimize ability of a product to fail. I even know one of the “inventors” personally, and I still do not condone the product. Sorry guys. hook > claw.

12. Mark says:

Where is it? I read the Whirlpool Gladiator press release but as of yet I don’t see it for sale.

13. Gary says:

I saw it on Amazon, they are calling it the Gladiator Claw. The reviews are pretty good so far. I might have to get one to try.

14. rey says:

I completely understand the idea of hooks being cheaper but the problems with hooks is that they are hard to maneuver a bike wheel onto them. You have to lift and then maneuver the the wheel into the hook sometimes being an aggravate task where the wheel gets caught up and gives you some trouble, bumping into the roof with the tire. The claw simply lets you lift the bike and the same bumping effect that happens with the hook you just use it against the claw and the device closes itself. Then lift again and Whoila!, it opens. Very simple. Why bash on a product that supposes to simply makes your life..huh simpler? I know how hooks work. In the end, its up to the individual that wants to spend the money or not; but don’t criticize an “idea” if you haven’t tried it.

15. Andy says:

They are voicing their opinions. I’ll criticize face tatoos, those horrible giant earlobe rings, and lots of things without trying them. I can watch the home shopping network and bash on a hundred products without ever trying them….and be justified. .

16. April says:

I like it, if the price was better. All of the comments about the hook working just fine…I agree. BUT this is cool and I want one. :0)

17. oh my god says:

This is totally awesome. The hooks are often unused, because they are shit to use -> less space in bicycle storage because of traditionally standing bikes. The claw is easy enough for most mfckers to use in a jiffy, so it should be a definite improvement, much like a zipper is to a button.

18. Jill Majette says:

@Michael Can you elaborate on your point?