CygoLite Bike Lights: Engineered to ShineXtracycle Bike Cargo Kits, Parts and AccessoriesCommuter Bike Store Breezer Uptown InfinityBike Bag Shop -- Grocery, Shopping, Market PanniersRideKick Electric Powered Bike TrailerPlanet Bike: Better bike products for a better worldMiiR Bottles one4oneChrome Bike Backpacks and Messenger BagsBanjo Brothers Affordable Cycling GearBionX: Electrify Your BikeUtility Cycling - Use Your BicycleOrtlieb Bike Bags & Panniers

Masi SoulVille Mixte: The Stepthrough Version

by Commute by Bike

Masi Bicycles is known for their road bikes but they have recently been stepping out into the commuter market.

At Interbike this past September they showed their SoulVille and I got a chance to demo it.

Now the masiguy has announced the upcoming SoulVille “Mixte” which represents the stepthrough version.

Here’s the 7-speed that will also be available in antique beige:

Masi Soulville Commuter Bike

Here’s the 3-speed version:

Masi Soulville Commuter Bike

The SoulVille Mixte will be available in sizes 16″ and 18″. The MSRP for the 7-speed (both mens and womens) is just under $850 and the 3-speed (both mens and womens) is just under $700. The release date is sometime in June and if they sell anything like the original SoulVille, they’ll be gone fast.

For more Masi-ness visit the Masiguy’s blog.

The Chariot Summer Sale - 2013

28 Responses to “Masi SoulVille Mixte: The Stepthrough Version”

1. Tim Jackson says:

You are SO good to me! I love you guys.

I still haven’t figured out how it is possible that the bikes always look so much better here than on my blog… one of those weird space/ time continuum things I guess.

2. Mike says:

TJ – you should kick Wayne’s butt for overlooking the cable length on the BOM. I doubt anyone on one of these would be doing bar-spins.

3. Noah says:

lol @ the bar spins comment… but yah, that’s a really long cable. they should have put a gyro on it instead. :P

4. Mike Myers says:

The Soulville is a very nice looking bike. Probably overpriced for what it is, but pretty nonetheless. I think I would have specced it with 26 inch wheels, but that’s just me. I think lots of bikes would be better off with smaller wheels—-but I’m short, so I do have a dog in that fight. Tim, you and your guys at Masi definitely have good eyes.

5. Ghost Rider says:

Mmmm…mixte. That’s a dapper looking machine! It’s a bit pricey for what it is spec’ed with, yes, but so far I REALLY REALLY dig the looks of the entire Soulville line. Bravo to Masi for making some beautiful city bikes!

Mike, with a mixte frame, you don’t have to worry so much about being short of stature. 700c wheels are the right choice for a bike like this — faster rolling and lots more versatile in terms of tire choices than a 26″ wheel. Seein’ as how there’s an internal hub with roller brakes (based on the picture alone…I sure don’t see any other brakes on the frame), you could always rock a pair of 650B wheels and split the difference. As I recall, you’re fond of that size!!!

6. rick says:

It’s too bad that us Notrh Americans mostly see mixtes as ladies bikes because they are some of the coolest looking frames around.

7. Logan says:

That is an awesome looking bike. Very classy. Would be great if it was offered with Alfine at $850. For 2008, Bianchi is offering the Milano with Alfine at $775 but it doesn’t look this good.

8. bikesgonewild says:

…elegant looking lines on the masi…very nice styling…

9. Jeff says:

Tim, I’m still waiting for a Alfine kit on the Soulville. I’ll probably set aside interest in my Sting-ray collection and run out and buy one right away if you do. Come on man! Let’s get with it on this… there’s a lot of people waiting, I’m sure. I noticed an Alfine setup with black hubs that would look gorgeous. I hear it’s currently only sold in Europe.

While you’re at it, why not put cable stops on at the upper & lower end of the downtube, remove the middle cable guide, and run bare cable between them for a cleaner, more classic look? Maybe even run a cable guide under the bottom bracket and have the lower cable stop back at the chainstay.

I like the flat look of the fenders a lot, but how about a little channel on the sides, perpendicular to the aluminum. It could even be made of black plastic perhaps about 1/2″ high. Just something to keep the water from slopping off the sides.

Agree on the Mixte in the US. It would be nice to get on and off of with my arthritis, but I just don’t want to be the only one around trying to break the perception of it being a ‘girls bike’. Europeans seem so much more evolved as a whole socially.

10. hank says:

An alfine? An Afline, how about an 8 speed? That’s right, the mixte has been announced with the inferior 7 speed, not 8. For those of us more socially evolved but not as youthful as we used to be, wouldn’t it be nice to give us at least an 8 speed for the mixte instead of shorting us on the gear range? Somebody is going to get the urban cruiser done right and make a killing, however, apparently it won’t yet be Masi.

11. Hank, sorry to break your heart… but the 8 was replaced with the 7spd from SRAM (which is an arguably better hub) because the lead-times from Shimano ballooned to over 180 days for the hub. That would mean having no product in a timely manner and that would be death for the bike. The 7spd is not inferior in any way- I promise.

As for Alfine- I’m looking at it. It’s spendy though… over $1000.00; can I get a few pre-orders?

Trying to keep the love alive… I promise.

12. Jeff says:

Hey Tim,

Are you talking an EXTRA $1000 for an Alfine setup? I’d pass on their cranks though, and use something classy looking like you have now. Get the black Alfine hub if you can.

What’s up with the derailer model you were working on? Did you consider my cable routing idea above? Would certainly be more classic.

13. Jeff says:

PS Tim,

Could you at least offer us a hand brake model? You could skip the coaster brake in the back – and that savings can be applied to the hand brakes.

14. Mike Myers says:

As a short(er) guy, I am forced to deal with wheels that are too big. My road bikes have 700c wheels, and it appears that most town bikes are going to come with them, too. Why? I can see putting 700c wheels on big bikes, and on road racing bikes, but why on a cruiser?

But the Soulville is beautiful, Tim, and you are a super cool company. You just don’t offer anything for me.

15. thomas says:

Hey Tim!

I haven’t had a bike since I was a kid. I live in DC and want a bike that I can ride to work, across town around the monuments and run errands on.

I’m considering the Masi Soulville and the Cannnondale Bad Boy. I fell in love with the Soulville and have taken it for a spin over at Citybikes. I hope to make my purchase before Bike to work day.

Convince me! :)

16. thomas says:

Tim,

I forgot my crucial question. For whom is the bike meant?

17. Thomas- My friend, the first thing I would say is always buy the bike that makes you happiest- whether it is mine or not.

Secondly though… BUY MINE! :-)

The SoulVille is a very fun bike to ride and it really just oozes smooth fun. It’s just a joy to ride. I love mine- of course- and have added a couple of Wald baskets; a big paperboy basket on the front and the big double one on the rear. It makes for the ultimate grocery getter and errand runner in the neighborhood I live in.

It’s a very simple and streamlined bike. Some folks do prefer to add a front brake to boost the braking power, but it’s just a fun bike for going slow and smiling big.

What else can I say? It’ll make you rich and/ or famous. The steel tubing will have you grinning every time you throw a leg over it. Besides… I’m a nice guy and I’ll be super happy if you buy one…

Seriously, it’s just a great bike. If you want to go fast, it ain’t the right bike. But if you want to just get around with a bit of style, then it’s perfect.

18. Thomas- the bike is meant for everybody. Seriously, it loves all people, all the time. There really are no limits to who could ride it, unless you’re looking to win the local hill climb or office park crit. It isn’t about speed, it’s about getting around in style and having fun doing it.

19. thomas says:

Speed! As long as I’m good in traffic. What would be the maximum distance?The National Mall has some gravel around it. Will I be ok? Better yet will the bike be ok?

20. Sorry for the delay Thomas, caught me when I headed put for my lunch ride.

You’ll be fine in traffic. It’s got great handling for a bike in its category and the upright position offers a nice view of what’s happening around you. Max distance? As far as you wanna go… so long as you’re not looking to break speed records or want to climb massive hills. Like most city/ commuter/ cruiser bikes, climbing isn’t its strong suit… but it does ok.

Gravel roads- outside of possible paint shipping from flying gravel, it should be great. In fact, with the wide tires, steel frame and fork, it should be quite fun on that road. In fact… makes me wanna do that myself.

21. thomas says:

Tim,

What’s the one accessory you would recommend?

22. Man that’s a tough call. A good light is important. A rack or baskets are great too- I have mine totally racked out and use it as my grocery getter. You already get fenders with the bike… so racks and lights are top on my personal list.

23. thomas says:

Tim,

Does the Masi saddle for the Soulville have bag loops? I’m thinking about purchasing a Brooks Saddle toolkit bag.

Thomas

24. Mike says:

Thomas – gonna be a while before Tim can respond properly:

25. a fan says:

I have a new Masi Soulville which I’m crazy about. I have one question: I want to be able to put panners on it but the geometry of the frame makes getting a panier rack that works tricky. Do you have any suggestions? The specific issue is that the bars between the rack and the stays aren’t long enough.

Thanks for your help.

26. Thomas says:

I purchases a Tubus rack. It works perfectly.

27. Rachel says:

great looking bike! Do you know where I can test drive one in the San Francisco Bay area?

28. suzanne says:

Where can I find a Masi Soulville Mixte? I am in Palo Alto and actively shopping for a bike like this!