Bike Tech Shop - The Experts on Cycling with CircuitryChrome Bike Backpacks and Messenger BagsXtracycle Bike Cargo Kits, Parts and AccessoriesPlanet Bike: Better bike products for a better worldElectric Bike ReportRideKick Electric Powered Bike TrailerBanjo Brothers Affordable Cycling GearOrtlieb Bike Bags & PanniersCygoLite Bike Lights: Engineered to ShineBionX: Electrify Your BikeMiiR Bottles one4oneCommuter Bike Store Breezer Greenway DX Hybrid Bike 24 Speed - 2011 Model

How To Lock Your Bike

by JoelGuelph

Over at Quickrelease.tv, they have a great (definitive?) article on the best ways to lock your bike and foil bike thieves, called “Lock It or Lose It.” The videos showing public apathy are especially eye-opening.

Here is one tip from the article:

A bottle jack can only be used on a u-lock where there’s space to squeeze in. Fill that space with frame, spokes and security post and the bike thief will choose to breach a u-lock with space.

I found this little tidbit to be a bit saddening:

Cycle theft is a serious disincentive to cycling. According to a French study, only 25 per cent of cyclists re-buy a new bike after a theft, and of these 10 per cent buy a cheaper bike than they had before (20 per cent cheaper on average). A further 23 per cent won’t return to cycling at all.

Lock up your bikes!

BOB Trailer Sale

8 Responses to “How To Lock Your Bike”

1. Derek says:

I thought the definitive bike lock article was already written years ago by Sheldon. See: http://www.sheldonbrown.com/lock-strategy.html

2. burnsey says:

I use a simple cable lock. I am fortunate to have a secure place at work. This is also why I ride a bike that is older, rough and worn. If I am leaving it for some time, I run one of those little cables through the seat and rack. My friend had her fenders stolen, I have had lights stolen, now I take them with me.

3. Seamus says:

“I found this little tidbit to be a bit saddening:

(…only 25 per cent of cyclists re-buy a new bike after a theft, and of these 10 per cent buy a cheaper bike than they had before (20 per cent cheaper on average).”

But how many buy second hand bikes?
    Why must a bike be new?
    What’s wrong with getting veteran bikes
    back on the road and saving a little $?
    Maybe they meant “less expensive”
    rather than “cheaper”?

4. db says:

+1 on Sheldon Brown’s method. Lights, computers, frame pump all get thrown in my backpack or messenger bag, even if my stop is only 5 min. Those are the easiest things to steal. Can anyone recommend a shorter cable to loop through the saddle rails?

5. JoelGuelph says:

Seamus, that is a valid point. I would be interested to know how many of the 75% that didn’t buy a new bike bought a used one, or had another bike that they started riding.
    I agree fully that bikes do not need to be new. My daily commuter is a 10+ year old Bianchi hybrid. If only North American consumer culture could be convinced of the same sentiment!

Have you checked out bluecollarmtb.com?

P.S. Isn’t the difference between “less expensive” & “cheaper” just a marketing department? ;)

6. Greg says:

Seamus and JoelGuelph. If nobody bought used bikes there would be no bike thieves.

I see your point, and actually I agree. I’m just sayin’.

7. Tacticus says:

db i made my own cable to prevent the seat going walkies

a length of 6mm cable cut to length with crimped eyes and locked together

8. Marrock says:

I have a seven foot long Kryptoflex cable that I figure 8 through the frame and wheels and around whatever I’m locking fast to and finish it with a Master Lock No. 40.

This will be until I can get a decent U-lock and a second Kryptoflex cable, that way I can tie the bike and trailer together and lock it fast to the racks or whatever.