Planet Bike: Better bike products for a better worldCommuter Bike Store Fuji TahoeElectric Bike ReportBionX: Electrify Your BikeChrome Bike Backpacks and Messenger BagsOrtlieb Bike Bags & PanniersMiiR Bottles one4oneRideKick Electric Powered Bike TrailerCygoLite Bike Lights: Engineered to ShineBike Bag Shop -- Grocery, Shopping, Market PanniersXtracycle Bike Cargo Kits, Parts and AccessoriesBanjo Brothers Affordable Cycling Gear

Bike shops for bike commuters

by Richard Masoner

A common refrain on this site and elsewhere is that many bike shops don’t serve the needs of the bike commuter or utility cyclist. Many are interested in the high end, which has been the bread and butter for most of the bike industry over the past thirty years and which continues to provide most of the income to the bike industry. While revenue for the Local Bike Shop has remained steady over the past decade, the actual number of bikes sold has actually dropped. The industry makes up for it through consolidation (fewer shops) and higher prices, but the reality is that the bike industry has shrunk since the 90s.

At the recent Bicycle Leadership Conference in San Diego and at other forums, some industry leaders have started issuing calls for change — to make the bike shop experience more user friendly and to more actively promote cycling as transportation instead of just recreation.

I know there are a few bike shops that “get it,” especially in cities where utility cycling is almost common. One of these is Rapid Transit Cycles in Chicago. On the shop blog, the owner writes:

At this shop, we want to invite, not intimidate the beginner; listen, not preach to the curious; and salute, not marginalize the commuter.

Commuting cyclists have been our bread and butter since 1994. They have told us what bikes they want to see at our store. They have come back and informed us, in no uncertain terms, which products were simply crap. They have recommended street-tested items for us to sell. They have dripped salty slush on our floor and leaned their mud-spattered bikes against our displays. With a glint of hope in their eyes, they have brought their pretzeled wheels for us to fix. The grime from their chains has clogged and corroded our drain.

They are our heroes. Rapid Transit Cycleshop is, has been, and always will be a bike shop crazy in love with commuters.

You can read the complete post here, but this is a local shop that obviously gets it. I know CBB has at least one regular reader who patronizes Rapid Transit. What about the rest of you? Is your local bike shop a hindrance or a help in your journey to utility cycling bliss?

Be sure not to miss this comic by long time bike commuter Rick Scott.

Yehuda Moon - confusing the customer

Ortlieb Sale Aug 2014 Slot 2

19 Responses to “Bike shops for bike commuters”

1. Quinn says:

I am glad to see that my favorite LBS is carrying, more and more bikes like the Rocky Mountain Burough (bad a**), the SE Lager and the new Urban Series by Felt, also they have No issues with special ordering anything the customer is looking for.

2. Justyna says:

Shucks, Fritz, I’m blushing!
    Thanks. I look forward to serving the growing throngs of Chicago’s bike commuters for many years to come.

3. Brian says:

Where we live now (Pittsburgh) has some great local bike shops. However, before moving here we lived in a small flat town in Ohio. The owner was constantly complaining about:

1) people with crappy Wal-Mart bikes getting repairs
    2) young kids trying to make single-speeds and fixies
    3) anybody who wasn’t buying something new

He was just so grizzled about the whole affair after 20 years in the biz. It was very off-putting and if it wasn’t the only shop in town I wouldn’t have gone there. He warmed up to me, but only because I was there so much.

I think this shop fits the description here…perfectly.

4. Mike Myers says:

I live in a county of 100,000 or so people. We have two bike shops. One is a hole in the wall that stays in business despite having a very limited selection and non-existent customer service. The other is a Waterford/Gunnar/Co-Motion/Litespeed/Rans/Cattrike/Trek/Raleigh/Giant dealer. This shop is located directly on a major Rails to Trails in a county filled with retirees. I’d say that 80% of his business is selling $300 Trek hybrids to seniors to ride on the trail. I had no problem ordering what I wanted when I did my Gunnar and Surly builds, but I had to walk him through the QBP catalog and make sure I got my parts.

There is NO commuter market here. Bike commuters here are either folks who live a long way from work and use the commute as a workout, or people without licenses. The former ride road bikes and the latter are on ‘mart bikes. If my LBS stocked a fully specced commuter bike it would just sit because the people who need it(‘mart bike short distance guys) can’t or won’t afford it.

A commuter specific shop would have to be in a hip city.

5. Nathan says:

We have several bike shops in the cluster of Western suburbs of Chicago. I’ll describe my main three, which are within 15 miles of my home.

1) The one I bought my bike from was supportive of bike commuters and did have some good options for us. I bought one of the cheaper hybrids because I was new to the game. But, they did have a Specialized Globe City bike for $600 (which I now consider a good deal). They are ready to order anything you want from QBP without much mark-up. Everyone who works there seems to be interested in all types of biking, but mostly road and mountain.

2) The proprietor is extremely charismatic and friendly. He is ready to sell you a bike anytime, but if you want to hang out and never buy anything, he’s okay with that too. He put up money for our “Bike to School Day” event at the highschool. He says road bikes are a religion and everything else is a cult. He stocks the latest in carbon frames, etc. Priortiy on Euro stuff. I can get stuff fixed for free there. I can borrow bikes. I can barter for better prices on stuff I need. It is hard to get functional stuff like winter cycling apparel, or weird commuter stuff. However, cyclist of all types seem to hang out out there. That’s what he attracts.

3) Lastly, a Trek dealership which supported our “Bike to School Day” event at the local highschool and gave us literature from Trek (one world, two wheels). They carry mostly Trek. They also have training camps in their shop for road people. They specialize in adaptive mobility for handicapped, and recumbants. I haven’t bought anything from the shop, but have worked with them on promoting bike infrastructure in the community. They have been in the city for ages. Philosophically, they seem to support the commuter, but I’m not sure about their product line.

In summary, the local shops are still focused moslty on biking as a sport, but the commuter is becoming more important to them. However, not our bike shops, but our winter weather this year has been our biggest challenge lately.

6. Eric S says:

Let me shout out to Willow Glen Cycles here in San Jose, CA. They have a lot of great commuter bikes and accessories and the main wrench, Tahn, is a diehard utility/commuter cyclist as well as a fantastically knowledgable and skilled mechanic. They stock droolworthy (to us!) stuff like B&M generators, wooden fenders, oversize porteur front racks, and city bikes by Breezer and Batavus. Intersection of Willow & Lincoln

(no affiliation just a happy customer)

7. Tim Grahl says:

Great post and very inspiring. It’s nice to see this shop recognizing and catering to the most important riders.

8. lady clay says:

A shout-out here to Bicycle South in Decatur, GA (we’re part of greater Atlanta). They carry a good range of hybrid, cruiser, folders, single-speed and other commuting-suitable bikes, as well as racks and bags. Better still, they really try to fit the bicycle to the rider’s needs and budget – I’ve gotten a $400 bike there and a $1300 bike there and got the same great service for both.

9. dan says:

being redundant…

The best way to get your LBS to become “commuter friendly” is to buy ALL of your item sthere. Impress on them your needs, and being everyone you kow that wants to commute to them. If people constantly ask for it, they will start to get it.

10. redcliffs says:

Well, I don’t know how popular this will be, but the most commuter-friendly, everyday rider-friendly, just plain friendly-friendly LBS in the Boulder, CO area, IMHO, is Performance Bike. They’re my LBS for simple reasons — they sell affordable level, everyday gear as well as top-notch stuff, they’ll adjust a finicky derailleur for free while you wait, they have a great return policy (of course, they can afford to), and the folks there are knowledgeable and want to help. The same cannot be said for other close-by shops, especially Louisville Cyclery (I live in Louisville and tried, for quite some time, to make them my regular LBS, but a combination of snootiness and ignorant wrenching lead me away in a hurry…)

11. AncientCommuter says:

Here in Portland, OR, we have a zillion bike shops, each populated with 50 fancy road bikes, 10 fancy mountain bikes, 5 fancy cyclocross bikes, 3 cranky techs, and 3 emaciated, pimpled, rude, and supercilious teenage salespeople who barely deign to speak to commuters.

At the same time, we have so many commuters on the streets there is actually a bike rush hour and bike traffic on my route. I think we ALL buy our stuff mail order, or make it.

I tried butting my head against the pimply salespeople to get helpful info and or good commuting equipment out of them for years. Now I just do it all online and ride happily. I felt guilty about not supporting my local bike shops for a while, but what’s the point? They couldn’t give a rat’s a– about commuters.

12. Joe says:

We’ve got a great, commuter friendly shop here in Atlanta–Intown Bicycles.http://www.intownbicycles.com/. From their website: “We’re especially passionate about bicycle transportation here at Intown Bicycles. We bike commute ourselves, and love helping other people do it too. We also love launching new bike riders. We carry a lot of bikes and things for more casual biking as well as gear for the enthusiast. ”

I love Mike, the owner. He’s an incredibly friendly guy, orders special stuff–even small parts–with little to no markup, and persuaded me to buy the cheaper bike b/c it would be better for my needs. There are more popular shops in town, and cheaper shops, but this one is the best for commuters and people who want reliable, friendly service.

13. If you’re ever on Vancouver island check out North Park Bike Shop in Victoria, BC. The owner is super friendly and loves commuting. They market to commuters and carry a wide range of hybrids, trailers, etc.

14. MOLLY says:

plastic card company
    Businesses of all sizes rely on a powerful but tiy tool to communicate their business information: the plastic card company.[URL=http://www.7daysprinting.com]plastic card company [/URL]Whether you’re a business behemoth or one-man-brand consultant, the appropriate plastic card company is a must. plastic card company printing can be a daunting task because plastic card company come in all shapes and sizes. There are your standard dorizontal facing plastic card company, and even plastic card company with the rounded deges. That depends on what exactly you are trying to communicate with your plastic card company. The appropriate content is very important for your plastic card company selection. plastic card companyYour customers should be able to easily remember what it is you offer and also be able to contact you from the information on your plastic card company. plastic card company printing goes beyong metal card design.

15. MOLLY says:

cheap plastic card printing
    As a leading company in the cheap plastic card printing industry, our factory has passed many certificate and produces over two million cheap plastic card printing per year. Our cheap plastic card printing is exactly like the credit cards.
    cheap plastic card printing We produce cheap plastic card printing. our cheap plastic card printing is four color litho printed with heidilberg machines. If you order our cheap plastic card printing, we will offer you the best value for your money without any waste.
    [URL=http://www.7days-plasticcards.co.uk]cheap plastic card printing[/URL] Ordering cheap plastic card printing from us directly over the phone or internet, we can give you the best price which you can not find elsewhere!Today, cheap plastic card printing is various and the company supplies more than 5oo million cheap plastic card printing annually to customers all over the world. But our cheap plastic card printing has many advantages.

16. MOLLY says:

online card printing
    online card printing is a leader and innovator in the online card printing industry catering for all your membership cards and any custom size online card printing required from small to big quantity. We are a one-stop center for your entire online card printing requirement. online card printing.Have your cards ready in less than 1 hour if necessary in high laminated online card printing quality without compromising on quality and durability! The online card printing will be highly glossy laminated, very falt, non peeling and very sharp!
    [URL=http://www.7days-printing.com]online card printing[/URL].We are also the authorized distributor for all range of online card printing as well as javelin online card printing in malaysia for personalizing the online card printing with thermal printing of text and barcode as well as encoding the magnetic stripe and online card printing.

17. MOLLY says:

smart card
    Since our smart card is produced with unique equipment, you can be sure that your smart card will be of high quality. In addition, our smart card options are fully customizable to meet any specific needs. Your smart card can also be ordered in combination with the convenient key smart card, which is a smaller version of your smart card that can be easily attached to a key chain. [URL=http://www.smartcard-supplier.co.uk]smart card[/URL]Our smart card helps companies that need a new design creat smart card. For companies that already have a smart card ,we can print directly from your own supplied smart card artwork. smart card All of our custom printed smart card offer high resolution graphics. We offer options for smart card production such as unique smart card textures or transparent smart card for or a highly appealing visual appearance. Your customers will truly see your new smart card as an outstanding them or high value

18. MOLLY says:

smart card
    dfghgerhdg

19. lunia gold says:

If you play the online game[url=http://www.buyluniagold.com]lunia gold[/url],you will know[url=http://www.buyluniagold.com]buy lunia gold[/url]is the game gold.in the game,you had more[url=http://www.buyluniagold.com]cheap lunia gold[/url],your level more tall.you can come here and spend a little money to bought[url=http://www.buyluniagold.com]lunia money[/url].Quickly come here