Over the last few years I find I’ve settled on a route to work that is not the shortest distance between points A and B. I’ve also tinkered with several different routes to my dad’s house, including a new one that looks a bit crazy when viewed on a map. I’ve got my reasons as to why the direct route is not the route to ride on a bike. How about you?
- High traffic activity
- High speed - but lower traffic activity
- Narrow lanes
- Grade - (too many hills to climb)
- Presence of railroad crossings
- Lack of quality off-road path
- Lack of clearly defined bike lanes
There are probably many other things that should have put on the list. Please pick one of the above and feel free to discuss in Comments.