Ortlieb Bike Bags & PanniersBionX: Electrify Your BikeCommuter Bike Store Fuji CambridgePlanet Bike: Better bike products for a better worldXtracycle Bike Cargo Kits, Parts and AccessoriesCygoLite Bike Lights: Engineered to ShineBanjo Brothers Affordable Cycling GearChrome Bike Backpacks and Messenger BagsRideKick Electric Powered Bike TrailerMiiR Bottles one4oneElectric Bike ReportBike Bag Shop -- Grocery, Shopping, Market Panniers

Video: Bicycle Anatomy 101

by Commute by Bike

This is an amazing little video put together by Carlton Reid of Quickrelease.tv. It walks you through all of the parts of your bicycle and lets you know what they are really called (as opposed to “that lever thingy”).

Let us know what you learned…

Bicycle Anatomy for Beginners from carltonreid on Vimeo.

14 Responses to “Video: Bicycle Anatomy 101”

1. Mindy says:

My spokes have nipples.

Mindy

2. Carlton Reid says:

Nipples is a godsend tag for this video. I expect this will get it lots of extra views…from confused blokes expecting something else entirely.

I also tagged it with ‘bottom’ and then, further on, ‘bracket’.

Thanks for the link, CbB. And, thanks to Tim – and others – for helping me to spot the English-isms. Most of the American names for the bike parts shown are listed underneath the ones I’m familiar with.

3. Carlton Reid says:

Hey, Mindy, you’ve hit the nipple on the head.

I also tagged it with ‘bottom’ [bracket]

4. Jeremy says:

great video, nice music to it too. I liked the way you detailed “seat post (not saddle post) and saddle (not seat)”

5. Sean M says:

Nicely done!

Is there a difference between braze-ons and bosses? Is a “boss” the metalpiece that fits into the braze-on?

“Braze-ons” are so called because they used to be attached by brazing them to steel frames, which is like soldering two metal pieces together with hot molten metal. Braze-ons are any gizmo attached to the frame, even if they’re not actually attached by brazing these days.

Bosses are protuberances — in the case of the video, the bosses shown are screw holes for mounting bottle cages and racks.

7. bikerbee says:

Great beginner video.
    Born a bike rider, and now shifting to become a bike commuter: Off the beaten path and awakens the soul! Cheers from Vancouver, BC.

8. Good luck Bikerbee! Let us know how it goes or how we can help you

9. bikerbee says:

I am currently investigating putting full fenders on my Allez Sport…but googling and looking at the bike has shown me it might need some B-engineering. No mounting points. Got any suggs for me? Engineering is my career, but look forward to your input.

cheers,
    B-rent

10. Allie says:

Great music – keeps me paying attention!

11. Ray says:

The video embedded code doesn’t seem to be linking up… but I found it on vimeo here if anyone else is wanting to watch this cool wee vid: http://vimeo.com/848558

12. Jerry C says:

We all see these people riding with their saddles way to low.
    Some times I offer my advise, usually not.
    Every day here in Ann Arbor,Mi.I see dozens maybe hundreds of new bikes.
    I swear it looks like half of these folks ride around with improperly inflated tires.
    Low tire pressure and a low saddle is a sure way not to enjoy cycling.