Ortlieb Bike Bags & PanniersChrome Bike Backpacks and Messenger BagsBike Tech Shop - The Experts on Cycling with CircuitryCommuter Bike Store Breezer Greenway DX Hybrid Bike 24 Speed - 2011 ModelBionX: Electrify Your BikeBanjo Brothers Affordable Cycling GearUtility Cycling - Use Your BicycleXtracycle Bike Cargo Kits, Parts and AccessoriesMiiR Bottles one4oneCygoLite Bike Lights: Engineered to ShinePlanet Bike: Better bike products for a better worldRideKick Electric Powered Bike Trailer

Insanely long bike commute

by Richard Masoner

I think most CBB readers know that my commute is “multi-modal.” That means I ride a bus, a train and then my bike to work.

Today, I missed my bus. Rather than wait 15 minutes for the next bus, I decided to bike the entire distance to work.

For me, the entire distance is 44 miles. This includes climbing from elevation 500 feet (at my home) up to 1,900 feet (the summit of the Santa Cruz Mountains on Mountain Charlie Road) before dropping back down to 650 feet at 35 mph on hairpin turns.

It’s a fun ride, but it took me 3 hours. That’s too long for an everyday commute.

What’s your longest bike commute?

Have a good weekend, all!

79 Responses to “Insanely long bike commute”

1. nathan says:

Wow, that’s a long commute. I wonder if you can really call it a commute when it takes that much of your day? Sounds more like a great day…
    My commute is about 15 miles each way. I usually do bus-bike for getting there and then ride home. One time we had a meeting at a location that was further away, I rode there and then rode home from work and it was around a 32 round trip. More than most weekend rides…

2. Arleigh says:

My longest was 35 one way, that’s when work and riding were my life. Now its about 15 miles one way and takes about 45 mins to an hour depending on the bike.

3. Ryan Arnold says:

My commute would be about 30 miles. It’s basically a flat shot up Ventura BLVD in the San Fernando Valley, I figured I could do it in about two hours, but there’s a dicey spot with narrow twisting roads towards the end that has prevented me from going the whole way without catching a ride out of the valley into Calabasas.

Once I get over the hill from the valley there’s nice bike paths everywhere…too bad there isn’t one all the way…

4. david p. says:

that’s why they pay you the big bucks fritz.

my commute is 29 miles round trip. i bike all the way. it takes just under an hour, sometimes under 50 if i can hit certain lights.

i’m actually scared of living too close to work. i need commute time to decompress.

5. Hayduke says:

My longest daily commute was in Alaska, where I rode 16 miles round trip, morning and evening, to and from work in Fairbanks.

This was on gravel and dirt trails in the summer and packed snow in the winter, through woods and across sloughs and a river, with a 2500 feet elevation change end to end (that is, down into a river valley and back up the opposite slope). I shared the trails with moose and snow machines in the winter. Temperatures ranged from 80 degrees above zero in June to 50 degrees below zero in winter. In the summer time it was light during the entire ride. In the winter I always rode after dark. My biggest challenge was staying warm without getting too sweaty… and, oh yeah, moose on the trail (Don’t mess with moose!)

Now I live in biking paradise in California and only commute a measly 5 miles. Have to ride downtown at noon just to get enough ride in. Getting soft in my old age.

6. Franklyn Wu says:

That sounds like a good ride. I also live in the Bay Area and have a multi-modal commute of bike-bus-bike-train-bike (and reverse) as I travel from berkeley to menlo park 4 days a week. When I was working in Sunnyvale, I used to get off the Amtrak train in Fremont then ride the 24-mile route across the bridge to Sunnyvale (takes me around 1 hour and 20 minutes, plus the one hour train ride). In the evening I catch the return train in Santa Clara, which is 3 miles from my office. I did that on-and-off for about 2 years.

Now i do the combination (bike/public transit) on most days to catch some reading time or sleep, but occasionally I will ride 15 miles across the bay to fremont to catch BART there. Even less frequently, when I get caught at work past the hours when Caltrain runs frequently, I ride 16 miles to Millbrae to catch the BART there. Climbing over the Santa Cruz mountain still takes the cake, though.

7. Choke says:

What kind of psycho lives 44 miles from work? If you have to live that far from work, it’s time for a new career.

8. siouxgeonz says:

Welp… I know people who do 3 hours in the car… I’ve been known to *make* my trip home 35 miles but it doesn’t have to be. I have cycled to ameeting 60 miles away (but had overnight accommodations) and to a party 26 miels away.
    Remember back in horse & buggy days? You simply planned your trips. They just weren’t as much fun (and you couldn’t bail if you felt like it and call a motorized buddy) :-)

9. redfern says:

My commute (in Portland, OR) is 15 miles each way with just about 1600 ft of elevation gain. I think that’s just about the perfect commute distance. The best part of it is that the bike commute usually only take about 10 to 15 minutes longer than the drive. In the summer months I’ll often turn my homeward commute into 25+ miles with some additional climbing by riding into downtown Portland and meeting friends for the ride home.

10. Mike Myers says:

My commute is 22 miles in, and 18 miles back. I live in Florida so there’s not a lot of elevation changes, but my section of the state isn’t Nebraska-flat, either.

11. Paul says:

My commute is about 21 miles each way. I do the bike/bus/bike thing in the winter time but ride each way when the weather’s nice. I love it, I actually feel safer on the bike than driving anymore. Of course I’m on scenic backroads and bike paths too. The hardest commute I’ve had was when I had a meeting that was 37 miles the opposite direction where there is no mass transit. It was 11 degrees and I had to ride up for the meeting, then back, and then still go into the office. That was a hard day (yet still a blast!) but it sure gave me a sense of pride as this is my first winter of riding. Sites like CbB sure helps keep me motivated!

12. Andrew F says:

Wow, that is quite impressive.

I have actually considered moving to have more of a commute to work. My ride is 3/4 (three fourths) of a mile, and only mildly uphill.

It’s just as fast as a car in the morning, due to the one traffic signal that ignores bikes, pedestrians and even cars, and the cars that ignore the other two. In the evening it takes me about 2 minutes to get home, much less time than it takes to turn onto the busy major street i work on and make a u-turn to head home.

I guess I just lucked out and had an in at a great company that just happened to be nearby my new home at the time.

13. Noah says:

Gee, I only commute 8 miles each way. You people are fantastic (and probably have very reliable bikes)!.

14. Patrick says:

Yeah I’d move if I lived more than 10 miles from work. It’s just not worth it. I live in downtown austin and cycle 5 miles 30 minutes each way, and I’m set for my exercise. It’s ironic that in the great state of California, with all it’s environmental regulations, people commute the furthest, thereby pretty much off-setting any environmental benefits. I wonder why people live so far from work? I’m sure it’s the insane property values in CA.

This psycho lives far from work because of a wife in grad school and the program she selected — my wife has a two mile “commute” to school. I’m a big believer in living *close* to work, but sacrifices are made for other family members.

16. Franky says:

My commute is 30 miles each way, so most of the time I just drive one way with my bike on the rack and then ride in the afternoon and morning the following day. Occasionally I’ll do the 60 mile trip, mostly later in summer when I am used to being on the bike. One way takes me usually 2 hours.

As for living so far away it’s simply too expensive here in NJ to live closer to the company I’m working at.

17. Noah says:

My longest commute was one I did a few times during Bike To Work Week last year when I lived a little further from work than I do now. It was about 22 miles each way.

If you want to count “utility cycling” though, there was one day last year when I commuted by bike (28 mile RT) and then proceeded to ride 35 miles on top of that (round trip) so I could hang out with my friends for a few hours. They wondered why I didn’t just drive.

18. Brad says:

I work in Downtown Austin and live in a community just North called Round Rock. I’m about 22 miles each way…I’ve done it in a couple of times and then back home as well….the traffic in Austin and the lack of bike lanes, can really make a 22 mile ride seem like a 35 miler. But…overall I enjoy it. :)

19. bikesgonewild says:

…it DOES seem like a long commute for you everyday, fritz , but your mad computer skillz are such that you work for one of the preeminent companies in a industry whose world wide center is still in the ‘silicon valley’ thus the trek (yes, i know i used that word)…despite the commute, you live in an interesting & quirky town (good quirky) w/ plenty of good little places to eat & shop, near the amazing & beautiful california coastline…you’re accommodating your wifes school situation & your kids probably have much more freedom & a better “growing up” environment in the santa cruz area than they might over the hill in an equivalent economic area…daily pollution concerns have to be better near the ocean…your “out the door” recreational riding has to be better (ie: shorter distance to good roads & trails) than what you’d encounter in the valley…& you make the best of your commute by daily utilizing your bike for some, if not, now occasionally, all of the ride…

…hmmm, psycho, huh ???…while i agree w/ the idea of living close to ones work if it’s “practical” & while everyones entitled to their own opinion, i’d say in this situation, you’ve set yourself up pretty damn well..

20. mike says:

I commute from San Francisco to San Bruno. The distance is approximately 14 miles and takes about an hour each way. I am lucky to have found bike routes that are doable with my fixed gear bike :)

21. Mine (that is my choice commute) is a 1-mile bike ride between my house and the train station (bike parking is free). I have a commuter train ride into midtown Manhattan (including a 20 minute nap), then a Subway ride into Queens (Long Island City) finished off with a brisk 5 minute walk to the office.

Via bike/Masstransit, door-to-door commute time 1 hour 15 minutes, and my direct cost is $8.21 per day.

Driving, door-to-door commute time is a very tense 1 hour 20 minutes, and my direct cost is $37.40 per day.

Which way would you go?

22. James says:

It’s not a regular thing but when I want to do a long training ride for a century or a double, I will make my normal 16 mile morning commute into a 50 mile commute by zig-zagging north south along my normal route to work. It too takes three hours but satisfies my mileage requirements for my training schedule.

23. Jerome says:

My bike commute is 26 miles each way. I bought a Volae Expedition (recumbent) last year just for the long haul, and it does make things more comfortable when doing the round trip multiple days in a row. Strangely, my fastest time was on my fixie. The ride home is all downhill and I did it in 1hr 20min on my fixie. Man was it was it a spin fest! My commute only has 1 set of lights and often I’ll go 10 miles with out seeing a car. I live in a small farming community (375 people) 26 miles from the small town (10K people) where I work. That is nice for sure. On the fixie, I can have some of the quietest and most peaceful times in my life. Love that bike! Cheers.

24. Beaker49k says:

My commute is 25 miles oneway. Bought the house and then lost the job. Takes me 1:45 to get in, and almost 2 hours to get home. More hills coming home, but somehow I am not as tired after I get home.

25. aloof23 says:

Does anyone commute on a fixed-gear bike? I was thinking about buying one for this summer just to avoid putting all those rough miles on my Cannondale road bike. I am looking at a 28 miles daily commute…what am I in for, just wanna get outta the car.

26. In my brief transition, when I walk the “almost” mile between the Subway and my office, I regularly see 3 or 4 bike riders bopping along on fixed-geared bikes. And, I am not seeing anything fancy. Usually repainted steel or aluminum frames big tires on 700 wheels, and custom cut bars. it is being done. Good luck.

27. FritZ says:

28 miles one way or round trip?

I usually commute on a fixed gear, though my usual cycling distance is only 4 miles one way.

28. chadwick says:

I regularly commute to work which is almost 20 miles one way. I’ve considered riding my singlespeed because i love it so much. Would that be crazy? My route is mostly back roads through Kentucky with a few small hills. Anyone put in long rides on a single speed before?

29. FritZ says:

I’ve done metric centuries (and more) and fixed. I rode 30 miles to the Sea Otter Classic on my fixed gear the other week (which included a fairly long 8% grade uphill), spent the whole day riding mountain bikes on technical singletrack, then rode back home that evening. It’s not something I’d do everyday, but it’s certainly doable for many people.

30. chadwick says:

ok fritz i, have a question for you…the reason I’m commuting so much is because I’m training for an Ironman Triathlon coming up in August. I’ve considered riding my singlespeed or fixie during the race to show my dedication to the lifestyle. Like i said I’ve ridden my fixie 30 miles before but, race day the bike leg will be 112 miles followed by a marathon. The 112 miles I can handle on my tri bike but, would a fixie or singlespeed just be foolish? Clearly a singlespeed would be a better choice so I could coast on downhills and still have some juice in my legs for the run. Am I nuts for even considering this or should I put in a few long miles on my singlespeed then decide? My love for my steel frame fixie is what sparked this idea in the first place. Obviously, if I decide to do this I would have to make some changes to my ride to make it more comfortable.

31. Jim says:

My commute is 23 miles each way. I live close to Columbus, Ohio (not a bike friendly city – yet) and ride a steel frame Trek that is 22 years old. Got aero bars which seems to help and ride 5 days a week, weather permitting. Central Ohio is flat and but the wind which can cut my speed down to around 17mph. Without the wind I’m usually moving 20-25mph. I’m wondering if I should get a modern bike so I can get to, and away from, work faster. Any suggestions?

32. Anonymous says:

jim “steel is the real deal” i always say! but honestly, through a carbon fork on it and a brooks leather saddle and you’ll never want to ride another bike

33. Antony in Perth,Australia says:

I’m astonished and impressed at these long commutes , often in bad weather. My commute is an easy ( by these standards ) 11.5miles/19km in Perth Australia mostly flat, with very good quality, separate, bike paths.
    Next time I feel I’m having a hard time, in the rain or because I’m not feeling like an athlete, I’ll read this post when I get home, that’ll bring me back down to earth.

34. Once a BMX fanatic from Shiocton, WI says:

I have found my commute has become very easy this year (this is my 5th week). For the last three years I have been commuting on the bike 1 to 3 times a week.. The ride is 22.5 miles each way and I usaully add 5 miles during lunch.

I have made the trip in some pretty heavy wind and rain, but never snow and this morning was very cold, but I have not commuted with the temperature less than 30 degrees. Maybe that will change this fall.

I am planning on making the commute 4 days this week since it is National Bike week. It takes me 35 -38 minutes to drive and 60 to 85 minutes riding. I can’t wait until tomorrow morning.

I am riding a crome moly NASHBAR that bought for $75 last fall, it is the first bike with gears I have owned since 1985. It was a huge improvement from the borrowed Bottechia from the 70′s I was riding.

35. MGPSMITH says:

Long commutes are what they are… I’ve always had 4-7 mile one-way commutes in highly urban and suburban areas. At that distance, it takes the same time if not quicker than driving, and is close enough that I can still get home at lunch to see my family. I think that’s a fantastic commute. I’ve heard sociologic rumblings that the idea of a “community” may be on the rise again…maybe 44 mile commutes will eventually be unnecessary to achieve a desirable combination of career and homelife; we can hope.

36. Andy says:

28 miles round-trip. Not exactly the trans-santa cruz mountains trek. From north San Jose to Sunnyvale (moffett) takes me about an hour, 50 minutes if I judiciously run lights.
    Gotta say, it’s pretty enjoyable, and only 15 minutes longer then the drive.

Andy, at first I read it that it took an hour and 50 minutes (i.e. 1:50 or nearly 2 hours) for your 14 mile commute! :-) I parsed your comma as “and” instead of “or.”

Maybe we can ride together some time.

38. Tom says:

My commute is 27 miles each way. Try to do it 2-3 time a week. 1 1/2 hours going in, 2 hours going home (some hills and I’m slowing). Its nearly all along the Los Angeles coastline (San Pedro to Hawthorne), so the weather is nice and the scenery great (California girls after all)! I ride a steel Colnago.

Being able to just be on the bike…it’s the best!

39. Brett says:

My commute is 60km (37miles) round trip on a enjoyable bike path near the ocean most of the way (I live on an Island in Canada). It usually takes me just over an hour one way which is pretty good compared to the bus, which probably takes a bit longer if I factor in the time it takes me to walk to the bus stop. I bike to work everyday and then put my bike on the bus and bus/bike part way back every second day to climb at our local climbing gym. I just find that I can’t really climb as hard if I bike to gym as well. It’s really motivating seeing how many other people are biking serious distances (my commute is short compared to some of you). I hope everyone keeps it up in the new year

40. Blaine says:

I live in the Portland, OR area (Sherwood to be exact) which is one great bicycle town. My commute to NW Portland is right at 19 miles one way. I try to ride the whole round trip once a week. At least one other time during the week I’ll throw my bike on the tri-met bus to get to work and then ride home. Works pretty well. I’m looking forward to better weather though so I can move to 3 commutes per week. Bike on!

41. Jeff says:

Brett, are you commuting into Victoria? I am relocating to Duncan (Girlfriend got a job there), and all the jobs for me are in Victoria. The distance is about 60k, so I was curious if it had been done..

42. yitah says:

I’ve commuted to work three times this year, fifth time in the past three.

It’s 24 miles going in, 37 going home. The difference is because I can take different streets at 5:15 am when I leave home.

My (modest) goal is to ride to work 10 times this year. My motivation is to pay back some of my cycling investment this year (new pair of cycling shoes, a seatpost rack and saddlebag and chain (broken, not worn out))

I estimate I save $7.50 in gas each time I go. It’s ~30 miles each way driving.

43. Daniel says:

I take my bike on the car and stop at a town which is 17.5 miles from where I work at least three but mostly four times per week, its not hilly but can be windy all the way. Takes an hour in and less back.

I soon plan to change this to three days full distance, 65 mile round trip probably the week after next. Waiting for a 16Gb mp3 player to be delivered.

I nearly always do a long weekend ride but thats just for fun ;)

44. Ingrida says:

I live in Ashburn, VA and I work in downtown D.C. Twice now I’ve parked in Reston (about 10 miles closer than Ashburn) and riden my bike to work – it’s 23 miles one way. The ride in is pretty much down hill – which means the ride home is up hill. I’ve done it twice, I’ll continue to do it once a week, but I’m not sure I can swing more than that! I have to get up at 5:00 am to make it happen already, and then I don’t get home until 7:50 pm. But it’s a great work out and I have never slept more soundly in my life.

The greatest part is that I get to take dedicated bike paths the entire way in, WOD Trail & Custis Trail.

45. Allison says:

I have just commuted for a solid month. The logistics get easier everyday as I get the hang of hauling my stuff. I love riding before the sun is up. This week I’ve had 20 MPH headwinds on the ride home. Glad I didn’t have them when I first started.

46. Daniel says:

Well, I’ve taken my weekly average up to 200 miles or 856 Kurons per fortnight squared and I am down in Weight by 23 Kilos, sorry to mish-mash imperial with metric but the sceptics will never know what an imperial metric furlong is anyway. La Pierre St Martin holds no fear for me know, I completed it, not fast, but with only one stop because my sunglasses fell off, You should see my pump.

47. John says:

I ride 40 miles roundtrip 4 times a week from La Habra to Los Angeles civic center. It is great exercise, very nice in the early morning but lots of traffic coming home. I used to take the train part way, but train tickets got too expensive, and it is hardly more effort to ride the whole distance. Takes from 1hr 15 min. to 1hr 30 min. I am 60, and cycling really keeps the weight off. I beat the bus, even Metro Rapid, along my route.

48. Jim says:

Up until May I had been riding my 22 year old steel frame road bike (Trek) on my 45mile round trip commute. In May I got an aluminum frame, carbon fork, triathlon/time-trial bike (Felt). It cuts 5-10 minutes off each way and the soreness in my back is gone. It’s very comfortable. Free speed with less effort and I sleep better at night.

When I considered buying a new bike to replace the old the guys at the bike shops counciled me to get a traditional road bike. However, this season I started doing triathlons so I opted for the tri bike to use as a commuter as well – in spite of the common belief that a tri bike is hard on your back. I’ve found that for my situation, a tri bike is the way to go – go figure.

49. Noah says:

I’d hardly call buying a tri-bike “Free speed” but if it works out for you, that’s great! I hope you can bring it into your office. I don’t think I’d leave that thing anywhere out of my sight.

50. Phil says:

I might think differently if I had a 45 mile round trip…mine’s currently 7-10…but in my middle age, the idea of a sport bike makes me hurt already. A few months ago I took delivery of an ANT Light Roadster and have put many miles on it since. Not the fastest bike, but it has no equal for comfort and utility. Not to mention it’s a work of art to behold.

51. Anonymous says:

i biked 50mi

52. mayibefrank says:

My current commute is 56 miles round trip from the little Village of Blue Diamond, Nevada nestled in Red Rocks N’tl Monument to E. Flamingo Rd in Las Vegas. It’s a trip to ride from one of America’s most scenic places (outdoors) past America’s most recognized urban skyline. Crazy, eh?

I ride this little round tripper five days a week. Vegas commuting isn’t too bad if you stay off the Mad Max style Deathways…many “safe” places to ride on backstreets. The Hell’s Kitchen months of July/August are usually mornings only – bus w/ bike rack on way back in 120 degree heat.

Adios amoebas

53. Roger says:

my commute is 18+ each way. Live in Vermont. some pretty good hills, but not bad at all. I would not want it much longer.

-Roger in VT

54. Tom says:

I ride 15 miles one way from a suburban friendly neighborhood to Gary, Indiana. Once hailed as the murder capital of the world…The first half of the ride is nice but the second half is pretty scary. Semi Trucks on roads with out much of a shoulder. I work a very random schedule and i refuse to ride it at night. I would rather sleep at work if I had to.

so 30 miles round trip and i am new to this. I only have about 200 miles on my hybrid trek fx7.3. I hope to ride 2-3 days a week to work to minimize the time i have leave my wife and little girl to go “play” on my bike…I need to lose about 60# so i will see how this goes…

55. Troy says:

Hi Guys,

I’ve got a 50 mile round trip commute in Utah. Looking for ideas/best practices/ gear/ year round clothing ideas etc…

Thanks so much..

Troy

56. Charlie says:

I’m fairly new to bike commuting – I live abt 35 miles from work and there is just no way I can do that both ways without it taking up all day and riding in the dark – so I bike and take the train – the nearest station is only 2.5 miles so I ride there in the morning and coming home would do the same – then I decided I would just get off one more station sooner each day – last week I did my 2.5 miles to the train and rode the entire 35 miles home- for a 62 year old – I thought that was pretty good – loved all the posts on this site – anyone has more tips – love to hear them

57. @Troy in Utah – In my opinion, 50 miles round trip is probably about the limit for somebody who’s reasonably fit if you do this on a regular basis. That’s a commute I had when I was in my 20s. You’ll be spending a lot of time in the saddle if you do this daily, so I really recommend a road bike and the full on roadie ‘uniform’. You will need to work yourself up to that distance.

58. @Charlie – Props to you, sir, for your 35 mile ride home! That is excellent. And you’re right, bikes and trains combine to make the other a more viable way to commute.

59. Eric says:

Troy, I too am deep into the gearing-up process for a 50 mile round-trip commute! I road raced bikes years ago in Northern California, but I am not in that kind of shape anymore. I am going to start training in a week or so and just build up slowly until I can successfully do the commute. You can see my bike on my facebook page here:

Keep it on two wheels,

Eric

60. DC says:

Currently ride 55 mile commute 3-4 days per week, in CA. The last days of the week can be tough, but overall its awesome. Anyone have thoughts on winter commuting (CA winter that is, so mostly rain concerns).

61. todd says:

lol….i live in nebraska. Omaha to be exact. We are definately not flat. I think of Omaha as the San Fransisco of the midwest.

62. Charlie says:

What a cool bike – I think I’m too old for a “fixie” but I sure love the look and simplicity of them – good luck with your commute

63. Charlie says:

Hey – thanks for the encouragement – I’ve done the 35 mile ride home about five times now – and I’m starting to regret any day I don’t do at least 20 one the way home – hope this doesn’t wear off

64. David Mckee says:

I live in B’ham Alabama and work in the fire service. I just did a trial run commute saturday morning to work (30.8 miles) and home sunday morning (30.8 miles), work schedule 24 hrs on/48 hrs off, shift change at 07:00am so I don’t have to ride home the same day. The ride in started at 04:20am and took 1 hour 50 min and was a blast!! I honestly enjoyed the solitude and freedom during the ride.. I started biking during june 2011 while laying off running due to achilles tendon issues so I already had decent fitness to start with. I’m thinking I may do the commute on a semi regular basis. Anyway thats my little story and I really enjoyed both the ride in and the ride home.

65. Burdman says:

I ride 12 miles to the train station in San Bernardino. Take the train down to LA Union. Hop on another train up to Northridge. And then bike another 2 miles to Cal State Northridge for work. Takes about 1.5 hours, but its better then sitting in traffic for 2!

66. Brett says:

I live in southern NJ (right outside of Atlantic City) and commute 5.8 miles round trip to work each day on my 26″ BMX cruiser (SE OM Flyer). The route is relatively flat and it’s a lot of fun! It’s the same route I used to take to grade school so it’s a bit nostalgic. It takes me about 15-18 minutes each way which gives me just enough time to get 3 or 4 songs in (my pace is relatively “relaxed”). I really look forward to my commute as it gives me some quiet time.

I recently bought a fixed gear bike and effortlessly brought my commute time down to a little under 13 minutes. I am now switching back and forth between my two bikes depending on how I feel (and which one doesn’t have a flat tire).

67. Charlie says:

It’s a great story – and that’s a long commute – this is my first winter of trying to commute here in NJ and its a challenge – riding to and from the train station in dark and cold- but I’m learning as I go – good luck to you – keep it up – I get inspiration from people like you

68. Charlie says:

Burdman – Amen to the traffic thing – I had to drive to work yesterday – first time in about 2 months – what a drag – got snow today and monday might be tough – but I’m looking forward to it – a new challenge everyday – good luck my friend

69. Charlie says:

Brett – I’m in south Jersey too – but not near the shore – anyway keep it going buddy – I love that you’re trying different bikes – I’m thinking I might have to get my old mountain bike out if the roads get too bad for the hybrid I normally commute on – I have to admit I can’t wait for spring – but then again the winter rides are a new thing and a new challenge – let us know how you make out

70. Emily says:

I used to ride a fixie (Bianchi Pista) 13 miles each way. Took about an hour each way, mostly because of traffic and lights. The ride home always took longer; I could get to work in 50 minutes usually. Who needs gears! ;)

71. Mike says:

I commute about 17 – 23 miles (round trip) a day 3-4 days a week on the Central California Coast. All these super commutes are making me want to ramp my commute up to 5 days a week and ride further..!

Bike commuting started when the wife and I went down to one car – my car broke down – we got tired of car payments and maintenance costs. Bikes are super easy to keep going, parts are much cheaper, and it’s easy to do yourself.

Anyhow, been bike commuting about 8 months now and love it. Lost my love handles, blood pressures down 20 points – just had my yearly physical and the doc was surprised how great my numbers were.

Since doing this, we’ve decided to permanently stay a 1 car family, and if we ever relocate, to be within biking distance to work.

72. James says:

Hey guys,

I live in the Metro Detroit Area and normaly do a half hour 14 mile ride in to work. I was looking in Driving my car in on Mondays (I do need a car for work because I often have to travel long distances to Autoplants and have to pick up and deliver up 50lb oversize parts) with bike in tow and then commute by bicicle for the week and bring the car back on friday if I’d need it. I mapped it out and by bike it should take about an little over an hour and would be about 12 miles. My only Concern is that the area is not at all bike friendly (little to know bike lanes and poor sidewalks) and I would have to wait for lights and watch for cars.

73. Tom says:

I’m a canuk so I’ll have to use km’s but round trip I have a 86km ride which takes about 1:20-1:30 each way

74. Bob says:

I live just off the island of Montreal and my commute is 30Km one way. I typically ride 100 – 110 days a year. The mental part was the hardest at the start but now it is simply routine and a great way to de-stress. My objective is for 1000 days in 10 years…I’m at 692 (41,520 km) after 7 yrs so I’m on target. I plan on biking until I retire in 6 – 7 years.

75. Dr. Gruberts says:

Hi, I live in South-East Latvia (Baltic States), and commute to work 38-43 km each way 3-4 days a week. At warmer months (April-November) I usually ride to work on a Vespa scooter, but occasionally I change it for a single-geared roadster type “Aist” bike. There are a lot of steep hills with gravel and asphalt roads of bad quality along the way, but no bike paths or travel lights. When not in a hurry, I can cover it in 2,5 hours depending on the wind direction and road surface condition. Surprisingly, I need roughly the same amount of time when I ride it on a 21-geared Raleigh Touring bike. I have done it for about 10 times during the previous year. The last time I cycled to work there were 3 such days in a single week at the end of November, but that was at the top of my physical abilities. However, I hope to do it on a regular basis this year.

76. Monty says:

In summer I commute 93 miles (150km) round trip 6 days a week in Ontario between London and Lake Huron. That’s 560 miles (900km) for the week! The roads I take are extremely flat and rather boring with one stretch of my journey nearly 50km straight with no turns at all! There’s only one depression I go through, a gorge that a river has carved out. I get up to 60km/hr going down it for a minute or two then have quite a steep incline on the way up the other side. Other than that it’s as flat as a pancake! I average about 35km/hr in the evenings but tend to be a bit slower it the mornings as there’s some long but not very steep inclines I have to negotiate while I’m still half asleep. I fly down them in the evenings. I tend to have a headwind in the morning too and oftentimes a nasty crosswind in the evenings.

77. JJ says:

Can anyone help me with some bike recommendations? I’d like to start biking to work. It’s about thirty miles one way with a lot of hills. Looking for something under $1000 that would be suitable for that sort of distance. Thanks!

78. Dr. Gruberts says:

Hello, JJ!
    For such a long bike commute you should look for a sturdy touring bike equipped with a good set of gears, fenders, panniers, and front and rear lights for maximum comfort and safety on road. In addition, a lightweight raingear and safety chain/lock is also essential. From my personal experience, I would suggest to test the bike and other equipment on shorter distances at first, as the stock saddles and handlebars could be quite uncomfortable on longer rides, and you will probably have to change them soon.
    Safe ride!