Commuter Bike Store Breezer Greenway DX Hybrid Bike 24 Speed - 2011 ModelBike Tech Shop - The Experts on Cycling with CircuitryCygoLite Bike Lights: Engineered to ShineBanjo Brothers Affordable Cycling GearOrtlieb Bike Bags & PanniersMiiR Bottles one4oneBionX: Electrify Your BikeChrome Bike Backpacks and Messenger BagsXtracycle Bike Cargo Kits, Parts and AccessoriesPlanet Bike: Better bike products for a better worldElectric Bike ReportRideKick Electric Powered Bike Trailer

Schwinn Coffee (and Cream)

by Commute by Bike

The Schwinn Coffee is a budget minded commuter bike built with design and function in mind.

This very classic looking bike has a lot of great features for the commuter. A rear rack, chain guard, kickstand and steel fenders come stock. The brakes are both Tektro dual pivot and coastor.

The swept back handlebars will make for a comfortable riding position with a super comfy saddle. The saddle and grips are both faux-leather which add to the classic appeal of this bike.

The shifting is done by the SRAM i-Motion 3-Speed hub.

Most of the pictures below are of the Coffee model with the standard diamond frame and the Cream model is the stepthrough version.

The greatest part… the retail price is $389.99.

32 Responses to “Schwinn Coffee (and Cream)”

1. Jessica says:

just needs a coffee cup holder!

2. Ghost Rider says:

I love it…Euro-style utility bikes are the next “fixie” here in the U.S.

3. clunkerider says:

Very Retro-Cool.

4. Marrock says:

I just hope they don’t try to sell them through Starbucks, they’ll quadruple the price.

5. Mike Myers says:

I do like it. Couple of things, though. The bikes are specced with 700c wheels, but I think 26 inchers would be a better spec.

These bikes should come with baskets. Ideal basket bikes.

They come in one size, so it looks like short guys like me would likely end up on the step-through.

6. Arleigh says:

Mike

All valid arguments but for $389.99 order up the basket of choice from Wald for $20-25.

7. Ghost Rider says:

Mike…no way — the 700c spec is classic Euro, faster-rolling and more smooth-treaded choices!! There’s nothing wrong with a man riding a stepthrough, either. That’s very Euro-chic, too.

8. I like it, a lot. The biggest downfall of most “dutch” bikes are that they are so fucking huge and overwhelming. This basically looks like the old busted 100 dollar 3 speeds on Craigslist modernized and got rolling again.

I approves.

9. Hal says:

If I didn’t know the history of Schwinn, I would think they were simply re-introducing the Varsity.

10. Lowrydr says:

Love it, it looks just like the older World Tourist that a friend just gave me.

11. Quinn says:

If only I didn’t need performance-oriented bikes, it looks almost as fun as my XXIX!

12. doug says:

hmmm.

being in the midst of a long and hard search for a bike for my girlfriend, this looks really, really nice. most bikes are too “mountain bikey” for her and i think we were going to settle for a kona dew with a handlebar swap. this, however, would be even better.

where will these be sold?!?

13. Steve says:

I second Doug’s question – anyone know where this bike can be purchased? I live in the bay area and have been looking for it and can’t find it anywhere.

Also note that Perfomance sells them, but as pointed out on another forum, a special single speed version was made for Perfomance, hence the cheaper price. I called Performance and confirmed that they are selling a single speed, not the 3-speed.

14. Jessica says:

I just bought this bike 3 days ago.

I am in LOVE!
    It’s beautiful and easy to ride and not even that heavy. I have the “cream”. now all i need is a guy to get the coffee and cruise with me! people compliment me all the time.
    I got it at Franks bike shop in the lower east side of manhattan right out of the window!
    They are great there! I got them to go down to 300 including tax and got them to throw in a bell. mirror and basket. If anyone of you is considering buying the cream for your girlfriend, you should! it’s really great!

15. Dan says:

Just got one, going to add a Hershberger front “French Bakers” basket and a rear Carradice “Barley” Saddlebag Also going to replace the saddle with a Brooks B33 and make it my weekend warrior (I ride a fixed track bike as my commuter) -Dan of Boston (bicycle mechanic)

16. Silvia says:

The bike is available at americancycle.com. I would totally agree that this bicycle has really nice features (though, self generated lights would be nice) at a fabulous price. However, has anyone ridden this bicycle? Is it solid or does it rattle? Can it zoom?

17. SpecialK5518 says:

I just purchased this bike less than 30 days ago and I Love this bike! I had not rode a bike in years and went for a ride onthe lake front. The ride was smooth and most enjoyable. I would definitely recommend this bike to the baby boomers who wanted to get back to cycling. It’s a wonderful ride.

18. Amy in Camb. says:

Dan in Boston – where did you get yours? I’m also in Boston…..looking for the cream.

19. tcs says:

Euro-style?? The Coffee looks almost identical to the 1938 Schwinn New World. Add the three speed hub and you get the Schwinn World Traveler circa 1950. The origins of this bike are traceable to the under-appreciated Frank Schwinn and his unwavering dedication to American adult cycling during the wilderness years.

20. jacko says:

Nice but I like the Gary Fisher Simple City 3 speed bike better. For the extra $150 it’s a better deal. Better components better bike and it’s better looking.

21. Anonymous says:

If you can find this bike at a factory store, you can get it for a lot cheaper. I got mine for $147 (+ tax). It’s not broke or anything.

22. Anonymous says:

What store was that??

23. todd says:

yeah, i doubt that store exists and the person is probably not telling the truth…hence the mystery about the store.

24. Angie says:

FYI – I bought my Cream at Devil’s Gear in New Haven, CT. Outstanding bike, comfortable and sturdy, though I am not a fan of the coaster brake. Seems redundant. Rides well, and I put a wicker basket up front, so it looks like it should be on Martha’s Vineyard instead of the streets of New Haven. Great pick.

25. Katy says:

Does anyone know where I can purchase this bike online? I can’t find it for sale in the Mobile, AL or Slidell, LA area. I can find the single speed for sale, but I want the three speed since I will be using it for college.

26. Eric Cubberley says:

I rode the single-speed version of the Coffee at Performance Bike-$250. I rides nice and its comfy. I has everything you need to keep you dry and clean (fenders, chain guard). I like the freewheel and hand brake-I feel more in control than using a coaster brake. This is a great bike for multiple users because its so simple to maintain and one size fits all. Its very retro-stylish and very Portland. The only thing I would add is a cup-holder.

27. Art Vandalet says:

Where can I purchase this bike??? I can’t find it online ANYWHERE.

28. Charlie says:

Saw the coffee for 239 on performance website. Extra 20% off if you add it to your cart. That dropped the price down to 191. Picked it up at a performance store in MD. Now I’m looking for a Cream at that price.

29. Ryan says:

Charlie, I bought the Coffee single speed from Performance to put around the campus at my school. It is great and I don’t have to get all outfitted to ride my Tarmac the 1 mile to class. But I am not looking for the Cream for my wife. Please post if you run acrss one. Thanks.

Ryan

30. Allie says:

Beautiful bike! A little old skool there…

31. Magnus says:

Just got my Coffee today and I am in love. Simple bike, very stylin’ and so easy to ride and go!

i have not had a bike since I was 14 and was actually really cautious about buying one as I have gained so much weight since then I was worried of teetering and tottering, especially in a Mountain bike, as it is so rough.

This bike is so much fun and so cool, I can’t believe I have not bought one sooner!

32. Drake says:

I bought the Coffee from s guy off craigslist in NYC. Picked it up in the east village and drove it home to Staten Island. In person, this bike has all the classic looks. It’s like pulling out an old muscle car to parade around in. It drives smooth and you feel like you own the road. Very Happy with my purchase. Would like to know how old it is. It’s scuffed up and beat up in the right places. Giving it major character, but in a classy way. The guy I bought it from made me take a picture of him posing with his wife and newborn baby infront of their apartment. I can tell he loved the bike and it was a big part of his life. I fell in love with the coffee on the drive home. Does anyone know the years of production of these models?