Ortlieb Bike Bags & PanniersPlanet Bike: Better bike products for a better worldCygoLite Bike Lights: Engineered to ShineBanjo Brothers Affordable Cycling GearXtracycle Bike Cargo Kits, Parts and AccessoriesMiiR Bottles one4oneElectric Bike ReportBike Bag Shop -- Grocery, Shopping, Market PanniersBionX: Electrify Your BikeChrome Bike Backpacks and Messenger BagsCommuter Bike Store Fuji TahoeRideKick Electric Powered Bike Trailer

Earth Day 2008

by JoelGuelph

Tomorrow is Earth Day! If you are a sometimes commuter, why not make tomorrow one of the days you ride your bike to work?

Earth Day has been celebrated every April 22 since 1970, sparked by US Senator Gaylord Nelson’s desire to push the environment on to the national agenda. It was intended as a grassroots push to bring various environmental issues to the forefront, and to help a variety of environmental groups join in a unified front for change.

If your not sure how to celebrate Earth Day, check out this wikiHow article. How will you celebrate Earth Day? Do you think the day marginalizes the environmental movement, like these guys do? They argue that celebrating Earth Day by getting “together at protests, concerts, neighborhood clean-ups and tree-plantings” has almost no impact on the larger, systematic problems that plague our Earth.

“The strategy of recycling as a gateway drug — get them hooked on it and we can move them on to harder stuff — has failed miserably.”

I like to think that every little bit helps but we need to do more than just a little bit.

For more information on Earth Day, check out these sites:

Earthday Network – a listing of various Earth Day events

EarthDay.gov - US Government Earth Day site

Earth Day Canada – Canadian site

Wikipedia Earth Day entry

The Chariot Summer Sale - 2013

8 Responses to “Earth Day 2008”

1. CJ says:

Commuted today!! I should do about 10-15mi total today. It is finally warming up here on the plains.

Peace out

2. JoelGuelph says:

Nice work! We actually had a couple of managers ride in today, who I’ve never seen ride before. There are 6 bikes in the rack today and normally there are 1 or 2.

The weather is definitely helping!

3. != says:

Nothing is different here in the Southwest on Earth Day. I rode my bike to work, as usual, and still saw everybody driving their duallies, their H2s, and their big honking SUVs. It wouldn’t be so bad if they were commuting, but 99% of those big monstrosities had only the driver.

4. Ghost Rider says:

Happy Earth Day, everyone!

We celebrated by having a completely car-free day; not too unusual for me, but my wife often drives to work. Neither of us had to work today…instead, we dropped off and picked up our son from school, went grocery shopping and ran other errands and went to feed the local ducks and turtles — all by bicycle!!! Nothing beats that kind of freedom!

5. JiMCi says:

Had to meet a client downtown. This meant adding 20 miles to my usual 25 miles bike commute, so instead of riding I drove. Know what? It’s when I drive that I realize how much I appreciate riding a bike to work.

Anyway, I survived traffic, parked the cage, walked inside the building and was greeted by a lady hanging out Earth Day postcards! What? It’s today? THE day I am not riding?!!!

Well, maybe next year… ;-)

6. AC says:

I commuted today for the first time and didn’t realize it was Earth Day until I read this thread. I just got back from lunch where I took a spin down to the local sandwich shop wearing my work cloths, dress shoes, helmet and sun glasses. It was a cool feeling to get out and ride at lunch and not worrying about being in riding shorts, gloves and cycling shoes..

I rode some wheelies, popped some curbs.. Ah… Good times..

7. AC says:

Oh yeah, it was really NICE not sitting in traffic or trying to find a parking space while at lunch.

8. Robert says:

I commute on a regular basis but the thought of rain hindered me a little until I saw it was EarthDay and the posts listed here. My little girl also pointed out it was not raining right now. We rode to the sitters house I detached the tag-a-long and rode to work. It turned out to be a great day. A little rain in the afternoon but the commutes were sunny. Thanks to the posts and my little girl it made the day.