BionX: Electrify Your BikeMiiR Bottles one4oneRideKick Electric Powered Bike TrailerXtracycle Bike Cargo Kits, Parts and AccessoriesBike Tech Shop - The Experts on Cycling with CircuitryChrome Bike Backpacks and Messenger BagsUtility Cycling - Use Your BicyclePlanet Bike: Better bike products for a better worldBanjo Brothers Affordable Cycling GearCommuter Bike Store Fuji CambridgeCygoLite Bike Lights: Engineered to ShineOrtlieb Bike Bags & Panniers

J&B Importers pays their employees to bike to work

by Commute by Bike

J&B Importers reimburses their employees $4 for every day they take a sustainable form of transportation to and from work. Here’s the a local news story talking about their program:

[flashvideo filename=http://commutebybike.com/videos/jandboncbs.flv /]

The Chariot Summer Sale - 2013

16 Responses to “J&B Importers pays their employees to bike to work”

1. Jeremy says:

That was actually a well put together news story. It did a good job of making bike commuting seem normal and accessible to everyone, without making it sound fringe or extreme, like alot of reports do. Seemed like they did a good job of explaining the legal side of things too.

2. Geoff says:

When my dad used to bike commute to the Cupertino campus of Apple Computer back in the 90s, they gave him $1 day. Not much financial gain, but still a perk. $4 would definitely add up quicker.

3. Tim Grahl says:

I think Gary in the video makes a good point… it’s not just making $4 a day, it’s what you’re saving in gas to. At his 40 mile roundtrip he’s prob saving at least $8/day so he’s actually making $12 every day he commutes by bike. Not to shabby.

4. thePig says:

I think this is a great idea. Well done to J&B Importers.
    It would be interesting to compare the cost of incentivising your employees vs all the infrastructure required to support cars (e.g. company car parks).

5. Derek says:

I would just like to know where *MY* tax break is. My co-workers who drive to work can pay for their monthly parking pass with pre-tax dollars. My co-workers who take the bus or T can also pay for the pass with pre-tax dollars.

Me, I buy a commuter bike and not only do I have to use post-tax dollars to pay for it, but I have to pay state sales tax too! I think a good start would be bicycles under $1000 are state sales tax free. Wouldn’t help me now since I’m not buying a bike anytime soon, but then there would at least be SOMETHING for commuters.

6. DDK says:

A 40 mile round-trip saves $20-30, not $8, once you factor in wear and tear on all moving parts and mileage depreciation.

Derek — great point. Buying bikes pretax would be sweet — and actually not that crazy, considering we’re paying for lanes we don’t use in our taxes.

7. Shanyn says:

Actually, if you have a flexible spending account (a preset sum you set aside for health care costs, pretax) and your doctor will write you a Letter of Medical Necessity, you can buy a bike using pre-tax dollars. I bought a Breezer Uptown 8 with my flexi money.

8. Tim Grahl says:

DDK: Yeah I was being extremely conservative in my numbers.

Shanyn: Can you send me an email at diggers@commutebybike.com?

9. johnnypebs says:

This is pretty cool! I wonder if I can get my firm to do this. I’ll be sending upper management a link to this on Tuesday.

10. Kim says:

While it’s great to say that bicycles have to follow the rules of the road, it would be nice to have the other side of it- and motor vehicles need to yield to cyclists as they would any other vehicle. It’s not a one-way street of responsibility.

11. Steve says:

Gary Mendenhall, I knew you guys had the Cykels. You’re hiding them, you dirty dawgs!!! JK, way to go, guys.

12. Peter says:

sounds like a great program. i’ve been wanting to see us do a bit more organizing on the corporate front – come up with some kind of program to help companies start shifting their employees to bicycle commuting. maybe figure out a way that it saves them money somehow – maybe through health insurance premiums?? or parking? or admin fees? or something….

13. ROhan Kini says:

thanks for sharing it guys.
    have cross posted it on our biking blog – http://blog.bumsonthesaddle.com/

We are trying to get companies in India to be more biker friendly. On our way :)

Keep up the good work. We are regular readers of Commutebybike

14. ROhan Kini says:

Nice article guys.
    Have cross posted it on our biking blog –

We are trying to make companies in India more biker friendly. On our way.

15. welshcyclist says:

That’s a great incentive to enthuse people to do their bit, but getting companies to do such a thing, here in the UK, would, I believe be a problem, here we tend to think the government should do it all.

16. Diego says:

My employer pays $2 per day when one bikes to work. The only ‘catch’ is that those are pre-tax dollars; after tax it is about $1.20 per day. Still good considering the opportunity cost of not spending on gas and the car depreciation.