MiiR Bottles one4oneOrtlieb Bike Bags & PanniersBike Tech Shop - The Experts on Cycling with CircuitryCygoLite Bike Lights: Engineered to ShineChrome Bike Backpacks and Messenger BagsUtility Cycling - Use Your BicycleCommuter Bike Store Fuji CambridgeRideKick Electric Powered Bike TrailerBionX: Electrify Your BikeBanjo Brothers Affordable Cycling GearXtracycle Bike Cargo Kits, Parts and AccessoriesPlanet Bike: Better bike products for a better world

Top Ten Worst Cities for Bike Theft (plus, how to lock your bike)

by Commute by Bike

Kryptonite Locks

Every year Kryptonite Locks releases their top ten list of the worst cities in America for bike theft. The big surprise this year is, after nine consecutive years, New York was knocked from their top spot (third actually). Also, there was a new city added… New Haven, CT.

Here they all are…

Kryptonite’s Top 10 Worst Cities for Bike Theft

1. Philadelphia, PA
2. Chicago, IL
3. New York City, NY
4. San Francisco, CA
5. Tucson, AZ (tie)
Portland, OR (tie)
7. Denver, CO
8. New Haven, CT
9. Cambridge, MA
10. Austin, TX

Click Here to read the whole report.

Also, if you’re into keeping your bike, check out this page on Kryptonite’s website with their tips on how to lock your bike.

11 Responses to “Top Ten Worst Cities for Bike Theft (plus, how to lock your bike)”

1. fixedgear says:

We’re number 1! We’re number 1!

We gotta be number one at something….

2. Phil M. says:

Where the heck is Washington DC?

3. Edward G. Rendell says:

It doesn’t surprise me. Philly is a chain of wealthy islands surrounded by oceans of criminals. I biked daily for two years up to Temple from the Art Museum area and I just now realize how fortunate I was not to be mugged.

The people there–both the ones with money and the ones without–are stupid, dishonest, and mean. They deserve every bad thing that comes to them. EVERY SINGLE THING.

4. Thanks for helping to get the word out. The most important thing about this piece? The proper lock up tips! Check ‘em out and put them in to practice, each and every time.
    Safe riding everyone.

5. ron says:

jesus, edward, that’s harsh. i’ve never been to philly, so i can’t say you’re wrong.

i will say that i’m glad that a certain smug city made the list. anyone who’s sick of their bragging that people there rides bikes (like it’s on the place on earth where people do that) will know what city i’m talking about.

6. It’s just as much a problem in the UK. In Oxford, where I live, we have about 10 bike thefts a day. But, I also wonder how many don’t even bother reporting it as stolen.

7. Juan says:

I guess Kryptonite will have to change the name of their “New York” series of locks, to the “Philadelphia” series. Marketing’s not going to like that. If anyone has an older Kryptonite lock, be aware of the Bic pen vulnerability. A quick search should find videos on it.

8. Ready 2 Ride says:

Come on Philly’s not that bad of a place. I’m born and raised and yes there are some idiots here, but the majority are good people. Wow, number one, that makes me think very seriously about bike security now. Thanks for the info.

9. Tom says:

Lock sales must be down in Philadelphia.

10. Spencer says:

the reason why detroit isn’t on the list is because if your bike got stolen here you wouldn’t even waste the time to call the police. they have much more important things going on..trust me they are not looking for your bike.

11. Micah Belfanti says:

Doesn’t work with my Ford remote. The buttons are not of the type described in which a metal plate on the back of the button connects the metal contacts. In my Ford remote, the plastic buttons press a metal button built into the electronic circuit board. I’d love to disable the panic button, but there is no way that I have the savvy to mess with the circuit board. Good idea though and I wish it would have worked for me.