CygoLite Bike Lights: Engineered to ShineBanjo Brothers Affordable Cycling GearPlanet Bike: Better bike products for a better worldBionX: Electrify Your BikeChrome Bike Backpacks and Messenger BagsBike Tech Shop - The Experts on Cycling with CircuitryUtility Cycling - Use Your BicycleMiiR Bottles one4oneOrtlieb Bike Bags & PanniersCommuter Bike Store Breezer Greenway DX Hybrid Bike 24 Speed - 2011 ModelRideKick Electric Powered Bike TrailerXtracycle Bike Cargo Kits, Parts and Accessories

The New Look of Commute by Bike

by Commute by Bike

You may have noticed that we launched a redesign of Commute by Bike today.  As the site continues to grow we’re adapting to meet the needs of our readers.  To do so, we’ve added some new features…

Share and Support

Do you ever have something you would like to share with othe.  bike commuters?

Here’s your chance!

On the home page we have a new Community column where anyone can post something for all the Commute by Bike readers to see.  You have to be registered with the Commuter Bike Database and logged in, but once you are, it’s a free for all.

Drop in a link (try tinyurl.com) to an article or picture.  Leave your own tip or advice.  Share about a particularly great ride.  It’s your commuter community.

Bike Commuter news from across the internet

On the lower right hand side of the home page we are pulling in links to all kinds of commuter related articles from different blogs, websites and news resources.  Keep up to date with what’s going on in the world of bike commuting.

Find more relevant stuff to read

We’ve added to each article a list of other articles we’ve written on similar subjects.

Check out this article I wrote on the Surly Big Dummy.  On the right hand side you’ll see a list of articles where I’ve also written about the Dummy.

You’re a good lookin’ gal

Apart from that, the over all look has been updated to be a little better to navigate and easier on the eyes.  There are also updates coming soon on the Commuter Bikes Database… but that’s for another time.

Let me know what you think of the new look plus any problems you run into while working through it.

Ortlieb Sale Aug 2014 Slot 2

7 Responses to “The New Look of Commute by Bike”

1. Greg Francom says:

I really like the site. I have been visiting it often since I found you. I know that not as many people ride recumbents as DF bikes but was hoping that you could include some more inclusive content and reviews. Many of us who did competetive sports when younger have injuries that prevent us from being able to enjoy commuting on DF bikes anymore. I work 4-10′s and just starting commuting (48.6 miles round trip) two days a week (I drive in one morning and ride the bike home, then I ride in and drive home, then repeat the next two days). I’m still getting used to the cars and the different feel of a lwb recumbent.

Thanks for the articles they really helped my learning curve.

Greg Francom

2. tad says:

the news corner is awesome. Great addition!

3. Craig says:

Nice job, Tim.

More than just a coat of pain, you’ve made the site more than it was. I think I’ll move CbBs from my feed reader to the list of sites I actually visit daily.

4. Tim Grahl says:

Greg Francom: Thanks for the good words and for letting us know about a topic we’ve been missing out on.

tad: Thanks a lot. I’m hoping it will be a great resource for our readers.

Craig: That warms my heart to have you say that. Rock on.

5. svenny says:

I miss the old stylized logo/header *sigh*

6. Erik in Austin says:

I have been coming to this site for about a month now and I love the changes. You guys are doing a great job. Keep up the good work.

7. Jeff says:

Hi. Please join the Bicycle to Work! LinkedIn networking group. Members pledge that they will try to ride their bicycle to work or on an errand at least once a week. Although the benefits should be obvious, let me outline them here.

Right now people in the industrialized world are facing two very grave problems: obesity and a growing scarcity of oil. Compounding this problem is the new food shortage brought about, in part, by the conversion of food cropland to bio-fuel crop production. Most people feel powerless to help, but there is one thing that we can do. Ride our bicycles to work.

If everyone would agree to ride their bikes to work one day per week we could cut oil consumption by as much as 10-15%. No one would argue that riding a bike burns more calories than driving the car. Although popular politically right now, most bio-fuels consume more energy than they produce. We would be much better to eat those bio-crops then use our own energy to transport us around.

So spread the word. Make it a movement! Bicycle to work one day a week and do your part to cut back obesity and the overuse of oil and precious cropland.

Just go to my profile at http://www.linkedin.com/in/jeffreylstevenson and you can click on the group to be included. While you are there, don’t forget to ask to link to my network of more than 9,000,000 like-minded professionals. I accept all invitations and look forward to meeting you.

Jeff