MiiR Bottles one4oneRideKick Electric Powered Bike TrailerElectric Bike ReportCygoLite Bike Lights: Engineered to ShineBlog Action DayPlanet Bike: Better bike products for a better worldBike Bag Shop -- Grocery, Shopping, Market PanniersBanjo Brothers Affordable Cycling GearOrtlieb Bike Bags & PanniersXtracycle Bike Cargo Kits, Parts and AccessoriesChrome Bike Backpacks and Messenger BagsCommuter Bike Store Fuji CambridgeBionX: Electrify Your Bike

Gas Savings Calculator: Put it on your site!

by Commute by Bike

One of the more popular aspects of Commute by Bike is the Gas Savings Calculator you see over there on the right sidebar. We’ve had a few requests to make it available for readers to put on their own website or blog, so we’ve done just that.

Click Here to visit the page where you can get what you need!

We have the American version you see here available, but we also have a couple versions for our friends over in Europe.

If you have any questions or problems, shoot an email to diggers@commutebybike.com.

8 Responses to “Gas Savings Calculator: Put it on your site!”

1. Lesley says:

It seems bugged to me – when i click “Calculate” after filling them all out, it tells me i have not filled out all the forms.

2. Tim Grahl says:

Hi Lesley, the reason it doesn’t work on that page is because I’m showing 10 different ones on the same page and they all get in each other’s way.

But it DOES work when you put it on your site… check the right side of http://www.quickrelease.tv.

3. Kurt says:

I love the calculator!

I love the simplicity of the calculation, so I guess this is a suggestion for a more complex calculator. It would be great to show people how much they would save if they got rid their car altogether (a not entirely unrealistic option for a two car, two driver household) – that’s when the big savings kick-in. Insurance, maintenance and repairs, car payments, parking, parking tickets . . .

4. matthew booth says:

Hey Kurt,
    I am in the process of trying to convince my wife to let me sell my car, shes worried about rainy days and me being late to work (a bus pass doesnt help my argument)… My total savings a year right now is 811 dollars or $3.12 cents a day.
    Only saving $3.12 definately doesnt make commuting a real money saver for me especailly since I could easily save way more than that if I altered my eating habits.
    So for now I guess I’m doing it for exercise and the environment alone (until I sell my car and save money).

BTW… if while riding your bike to work you pass gas several times is your carbon foot print still zero?

5. Amy says:

Why not just call it “fuel”?? Some of us drive diesel in the U.S. :)

And I’d like to see one with a calorie counter and emissions saved too. I have to visit multiple sites to get those.

6. DB says:

The calculator would be more accurate if it used actual per-mile costs, which are much, much higher than just gas — easily $0.5-1 per mile, depending on the calculation. Brakes, insurance, oil, depreciation…

7. Tim Grahl says:

That’s a great idea on adding all that in… you know where I can see some numbers on that? What’s the average yearly cost of maintenance, insurance, etc…

8. matthew booth says:

If people really wanted it I could make a flash app that would figure all that out…