Ortlieb Bike Bags & PanniersPlanet Bike: Better bike products for a better worldXtracycle Bike Cargo Kits, Parts and AccessoriesChrome Bike Backpacks and Messenger BagsCygoLite Bike Lights: Engineered to ShineElectric Bike ReportCommuter Bike Store Fuji CambridgeBike Bag Shop -- Grocery, Shopping, Market PanniersRideKick Electric Powered Bike TrailerMiiR Bottles one4oneBionX: Electrify Your BikeBanjo Brothers Affordable Cycling Gear

Q&A: Can you really ride faster than you drive?

by Commute by Bike

Rob asks:

I’ve read different places that people can actually get to work quicker riding their bike than driving their car.  This doesn’t seem feasible to me, especially since my commute is twice as long when I ride.

So is it true that there are bike commuters out there that actually save time by riding instead of driving.  If so, how do they do it and how much time does it save them?

Ed. – If you have a question you’d like to ask the Commute by Bike community, email it to diggers@commutebybike.com.

The Chariot Summer Sale - 2013

63 Responses to “Q&A: Can you really ride faster than you drive?”

1. Greg S. says:

I certainly believe it, especially in an urban area. I commute 5 miles one way each day and it takes me 17 minutes by bicycle. If I drove my car, it would take me 12 minutes with no traffic. If, however, there is congestion on the two-lane road from an at-grade railroad x-ing, it can easily take 20 minutes and more by car. When you are on a bicycle, you roll right by all the congestion. Now, this doesnt happen every day, but it sure makes me smile when I go whizzing by hundreds of parked cars once a week or so!

2. Bob LeDrew says:

My commute is about 4 miles from my house to downtown Ottawa. I can definitely ride it quicker than driving if the comparison is at peak traffic hours. If you were to drive either really early or really late in rush hour, you’d probably beat me on my bike.

I get that same grin on my face when I pass all the jammed up cars.

3. Dan says:

I’m one of those people for whom cycling is faster than driving. My commute begins and ends in an urban area. The actual traveling time is faster because I ride at the same average speed as all the cars. (They *sometimes* pass between the lights, but if they do, I catch up at the next red light.) But being on a bike, I get to take shortcuts that cars don’t (along bike paths, through parks, etc.)

Although the traveling time is a bit faster than a car, the real time savings it at either end of the commute. I walk my bike out my front door and start riding instead of traveling down to the parking garage at my home. And I can easily park when I arrive every day instead of scouring multiple blocks each day for an empty space. (In my city, this is a significant amount of time.)

I think the real answer to your question is that it depends on where you are. Suburban and rural “car culture” areas will be more spread out hand have more highways, thus making driving faster per mile. But cities where there are intersections on every block don’t let cars travel any faster than bikes do.

4. Dylan says:

I commute 3.5 miles by bike and It takes me just under 15 minutes door-to-door (literally). If I drive, I take a more direct route that’s only 2.5 miles and that takes any where from 10 to 20 minutes door-to-door depending on the time of day.

5. NoTrail says:

My commute by bike averages 16 minutes for the 4.5 miles each way. In contrast, it takes me 14 minutes to drive in the mornings and about 20-22 minutes to get home. So it’s about a wash either way.

I choose to ride for the exercise and the joy of riding. When I ride my bike to work, I arrive to work refreshed and ready to go (rather then sleepy). When I ride my bike home, I arrive relaxed and calm (rather than angry at idiot drivers).

To me, the choice it easy.

6. Rob E. says:

A little different for me. I’m not speedy at all, and could certainly drive directly to work faster than biking (about 6 miles), but I can’t park at my building. Employee parking is about a 10-15 minute walk away. So that I don’t get to work all sweaty (and so I get there on time) usually take the bus most of the way. A fifteen minute bus ride leaves me with a five or ten minute bike ride to get the rest of the way, whereas it would probably take 20 minutes to drive to the parking lot, plus another 10 or 15 minutes to actually get to my building. The Bus/Bike combo wins, but a straight Bike commute would not win in my case, although I could see it working for a speedier rider.

7. Matt says:

My commute is five miles each way and the car is faster. It’s through a suburban area with speed limits of 35 and 40 and if I don’t hit any traffic lights I can be home in under 10 minutes, though 15 is more usual. Typically, it takes me about 20-25 minutes on bicycle. It helps that there’s oodles of free parking here (no searching for a spot). The car is faster door to desk since I usually change when I get to work when I ride since I dress nicely. So, the bicycle is clearly slower, but I prefer riding when I can, which is most of the time these days.

8. danielo says:

I work at the same place as my flatmate, who drives. His drive is about 3 miles. I can take a more direct route on bike trails, and travel about 2 miles. I match his time, and on the busiest traffic days, I can beat him.

9. Alex says:

Riding is most definitely quicker, by about 15 or 20 minutes. It just depends where you’re riding. Traffic is bad here, so I just whiz down the side on my bicycle.

10. Wes says:

This is certainly the case for me. I work in Redwood City, California and live in Palo Alto (about a 5 mile commute to work).

I had for some time theorized that it was just as fast, if not faster, to ride the bike to work. I don’t have a car, so there was no way for me to know for sure. Then one day a coworker was driving to the office from his home which happens to be about a block down from mine. We decided to have a race.

With traffic and pedestran crossings, at mid-day, I was able to beat him. I was pushing it a little, putting the fixie through the paces, but it was me over the car! I felt like a modern day John Henry (sans death at the conclusion of the contest)!

11. McAngryPants says:

Yes. But depending on the time of day. Rush hour makes me point and laugh at the cars stuck on the freeway.

12. Scott says:

I live in Iowa and work at the local University. There are no traffic jams to worry about for sure!! I live roughly 2.5 miles from work. The place where I make up my time is I ride my bike up to the door as apposed to parking in one of the sparse parking lots then walking across campus. In the winter it’s pretty much an even match because I have to change clothes and take off 15 layers when I ride! ;-P Still worth it though!

13. Dave says:

My commute is 8 miles. By car, it takes about 15 minutes, door to door. By bike, it is considerably longer. I have to pack my backpack, ride to work (ride time to work about 32 minutes), then, shower, dress and walk a block or so to work. On the way home, I have to change, ride (22 minutes back home), and change again. I could get ready at home, but then, I couldn’t ride as fast to work or vise vera. I am saving about $4 a day in gas, so, getting up early to me is worth it. I can’t get enough time in the saddle as it is, so, comutting by bike helps get in that saddle time.

14. GeekCyclist says:

I think many times the ‘save time by bike commuting’ includes things not specifically tied to the commute.

My 15 mile commute takes about an hour one way by bicycle, 90 minutes using standard public transport, 45 minutes on the express bus (also public) and about 20-25 minutes to drive most days.

It gets sticky when you figure in a gym workout. When riding I don’t go to the gym, and ride both ways for 2+hours on the bike + shower time, etc. If I go to the gym it’s 50 minutes of commuting plus 15 back and forth to the gym later plus and hour to work out. Virtually a wash as far as time goes.

Money is a different story altogether…

15. Waylan says:

Prior to my recent move my drive to work took about 5 minutes – right through a very small downtown (4 traffic lights & 2-3 stop signs). I could ride the same route in 3-4 minutes. Going to work was slightly uphill and cars would always pass me, but I’d catch up and pass them at the traffic lights. On the way home (slightly downhill) I was rarely passed and cut another minute out of the ride.

I have since moved closer to work and never drive the three blocks on back streets (no traffic lights) except when I have something to transport that’s too big to carry. I now switch between riding and walking as the mood fits and am not really sure how long it would take by car.

Hm, wonder if that gives me the shortest commute by bike of anyone here?

16. bonxie says:

This isn’t my commute, but its one example for an urban commute (NYC):

17. Mike C says:

When I was living in Boston, my commute was 7 mi o/w, from the Malden/Medford border to So. Boston. By public transport, including walk times at either end, 45 min; by car or motorcycle, 40 min; by bicycle, 25 min. This was during regular work hours, aka rush hour. With no traffic at all (3am), I could cover the distance in about 15 min via car or motorcycle. But on a daily basis, there’s always traffic, especially during regular working hours, not just morning and evening rushes, so even when there was non-rush traffic, a bike was still faster than any other way of getting around town. I worked a second job in Cambridge, and the ride from So Boston to Cambridge was also remarkably shorter than public transport and a car would have been useless.

Now, I have a more rural 17.5 mi o/w commute: 1 hour ten minutes to get in or back, vs. 40-45 min by car. Longer but very much worth it.

18. Mark says:

@Waylan- I work from home. My commute is from my bedroom to my living room. I think I have you beat.

I’m actually jealous of my wife for her 3 mile commute as she gets to ride everyday. I don’t.

In an urban area, I find that my other trips are about the same, and, moreover, the time just disappears when I’m riding. A ten minute drive feels like an hour in hell. An hour ride is brief bliss.

19. Derek says:

My commute is in an urban area, 4 miles each way. Door to door by bike it takes me approximately 20 minutes. I could do it in 15 without issue, but I try to keep it slow to avoid showing up as a sweaty mess.

I’ve never driven in, but I have gotten a ride twice and it took longer than 20 minutes both time. And that was with getting dropped off at the door. If I had to park it would be about 30 minutes if I battled for street parking.

The other option is the subway. Walking to the subway takes 10 minutes and the subway itself takes about 15 on average. If I were to ride to the subway it’d probably be about the same as biking.

20. James says:

I live in Brooklyn and work in Manhattan (NYC). I have about 9.5 mile ride to work. It’s 40 minutes by bicycle or subway. In the morning it takes about the same time to drive (and could take up to an hour depending) — finding a parking spot, or paring garage with space is going to add another 15 minutes.

21. Rick says:

It depends. If I drive the highway, it takes me about 20 minutes to get to work, about 35-45 to get home. ( I miss most of the traffic in the AM.) If I drive the same route I bike, it is a wash. It’s about 45 minutes either way.

Part of the reason is that one end of my commute has a bunch of stop lights. Another reason is that there is a bunch of construction on the other end. If we were racing to a half-way point, the car would positively win.

22. Jennifer says:

My commute is over to the next neighborhood (’bout a mile and a half), so even if I had a car there would be absolutely no point in driving. But the bike does beat the bus hands down, which is what matters to me. The bus also had me walking from the stop to the office across a busy avenue with a long green and frequently ignored red, as well as under a poorly lit viaduct where there have been strings of muggings in the recent past. (Right next to one of the employee parking lots, as I recall.) And yet people tell me I must be so brave, because biking around here is supposedly so dangerous.

So, there are other factors to consider besides just time and how good it feels, at least for me.

23. Elissa says:

I’m in NYC. If I had a car I’d have to walk to wherever I’d parked – last time I was taking care of a care here I had to walk over half a mile most days (also having to deal with alternate side parking several times a week) and then I’d get into traffic, the stuff I normally fly past. And then on the other side I’d have to pay a lot for parking ’cause there is no way I’d find parking there. At 6 miles I’m about the same speed or a little slower than the subway (1 line 6 stops) depending on time of day and luck.

24. MarkD says:

Yes. Motor traffic in London moves at about 11mph; I average 16mph cycling (and I stop at red lights!) My 40 minute bike commute beats cars, taxis, trains and the tube!

25. ec says:

I’m a grad student. The building where I work is about 3 miles away by car, maybe 2.5 by bike, but the nearest parking lot I’m allowed to use is a mile across campus and a 4-mile drive from home — and of course there’s a massive traffic jam if I happen to go in during rush hour. Since I’d have to walk a mile or wait 5-10 min for a bus from the parking lot (which would drop me off still a 3-4 minute walk from my office, and doesn’t run regularly as late as I stay in the evening), biking is most definitely faster.

26. john says:

My 7 mile commute takes me 22 minutes by bike. in morning rush hour, the drive takes me 30 minutes.

and that’s without michigan construction.

27. Colin says:

My commute is 3.6 miles with a good sized hill in between which takes me about 18 minutes to work (trying not to break a sweat) and 16 or less coming home.

If I drove I expect that it’d take about the same amount of time but maybe a bit more considering traffic and the hassle of parking.

I also bike around the san francisco to various events all the time and have on numerous occasions beaten my friends with cars — especially taking parking into account. Now my friends with motorcycles, that’s another story.

28. Hayduke says:

More to the point, I don’t have to work as long because I ride my bicycle and don’t have car payments, gas and oil purchases, repair bills, license taxes and insurance payments.

I work part-time and commute daily by bicycle. I have more time to grow food in my garden, participate in my community and enjoy good books.

So my bicycle commute makes my work life shorter, giving me more time for my personal life.

29. Mike says:

I live on a military base where the speed limit is 15 and 25 mph. I live 2.5 miles from work and parking is terrible at work, so my door to door time is less than driving during the morning/afternoon rush.
    Also, by Chief of Naval Operations order, I am required to spend 3 hours a week during working hours doing physical training, so if my supervisor approves of it, I can actually show up to work 15 minutes late and leave 15 minutes early to ride my bike.
    And then if you consider the fact that people who excercize regularly live longer, I’m actually being given more time just for saving time!

30. unknown says:

Just saw this and thought I should share. It’s a GREAT ad … and definitely cycling related!

31. Alan Braggins says:

When I lived in town, biking was quicker. Now my commute is 16 miles most of it outside town and driving is quicker, so mostly I drive to the Park and Ride car park on the edge of town and cycle in from there (three miles).
    But the only people I know whose bike commute is longer are the ones putting in extra detours because they want more training miles, or just because they enjoy cycling.

32. Shiny Flu says:

My bike commute is 5-10min faster than Car and Public Transport. But this is right in the centre of the city.

To do this I have to break some rules and ride at about 85% effort. If I relax and abide by all laws then it takes about the same time.

33. gear says:

Bicycle commuting isn’t simply transportation; it is a combination of transportation and exercise.
    Try totaling your drive commutes with your gym or home exercise session then compare it to the total time of your bike commute. I’m pretty sure if you do this you will quickly see that bike commuting saves time over drive commuting. Because its’ two- two- two things in one.

34. anakcu says:

Alan Krueger and co-authors have some empirical evidence to back up the argument made here that even if you don’t “save” any time biking, the happiness you derive from your bike commute is time well spent. In their paper, National Time Accounting: The Currency of Life
    (http://www.nber.org/chapters/c5053.pdf), “commuting” has the second lowest “happiness” rating; “housework” is the only drearier activity. Exercising, by comparison, gets the highest happiness rating (even beating out prayer/worship). Their opening quote from Carl Sandburg is apt:

Time is the coin of your life. It is the only coin you have, and only you can determine how
    it will be spent. Be careful lest you let other people spend it for you.

35. geoffrey says:

It can be. However limited access roadways have been engineered as barriers across many better routes forcing cyclists and pedestrians on long detours or motor vehicle hops across/about these.
    On another note it takes me just over 4 hrs to bicycle to my mothers place ~120 km away. Taking the bus including the links to and from the terminal to the homes on each end, I’m hard pressed to equal that time.

36. My commute of 3 miles generally takes a few minutes longer on a bike than driving.

But it all depends on traffic.

When school is in session, the traffic increases greatly, and I can beat my driving time in the mornings.

Also, if I leave right at 5 p.m. there is often a lot of traffic I can whiz past while on a bike. This usually allows me to get home at about the same time as I would driving.

37. Michael says:

I have a six mile commute if I take the shortest possible route. On my bike it takes 25-30 minutes depending on how fresh my legs feel. In my car it takes 18 minutes on a SUNDAY morning. On a weekday it takes 25-60 or more minutes depending on weather and crashes. I live in the DC Metro area, outside of the city but both home and work are inside the Capitol Beltway.

38. Michael says:

Forgot to factor in the walking time at the end for car travel…the parking lot is a quarter mile away from my office so that adds another 4-5 minutes. I park my bike inside the building.

39. Paul in Minneapolis says:

Bicycling for me has little to do with time. I no long want to live in that rat race. My 9 mile o/w commute let me say “good morning” to lots of people, ride by lakes where people are swimming in the 60F sunrise, every once in a while have brids fly next to me, and ohh yea pass lots of single passenger cars in their rat race….

I ride the 9 miles in 35 to 45 minutes. I don’t know how long it takes to drive polluting car, but the bus takes 1 hour!

40. Meghank says:

Here in Memphis, one of those suburban sprawl areas you hear about, there’s no way a bike could beat a car on an average trip. That’s partly why everyone is so amazed when I tell them I “go everywhere” by bike.
    Hopefully that amazement makes them think there must be something about cycling they don’t know about to make me waste all that time. And there is!

41. Quinn says:

3 years ago I started traveling by bus and bike, 2 years ago I re-geared my bike, and learned that I was just as fast as the public bus system, concquently dropping the bus (and all the schedulling BS) like a bad habit and never looked back.

42. DDK says:

Where I’m looking to live after moving out of downtown is a break-even — 5 miles door to door by bike (30 minutes), versus driving the same route, driving right past my office and through the rest of town, then parking and walking back through town.

So I would still arrive hot and sweaty (or rained upon) if I drove, and not save any time. Seems like a no brainer.

43. Jim Carson says:

It really depends on traffic. On average, going by bike is 5 – 10 minutes longer.

My commute’s 11 miles each way over moderately hilly suburbia. It works out to be about 40 minutes in, 55 minutes back (hills + three left turns at busy intersections). With very light* traffic, I can drive this in about 30 minutes. However, when the traffic’s bad, it will take ~50 minutes to drive to work, an hour (often more) back.

(*Sunday, government holidays, and Wednesday mornings when the local schools have a teacher in service day.)

44. Ted Fickes says:

I am in Denver and have a pretty flat seven mile ride across town. About 25 – 30 minutes on the bike. I can drive it in about 20 minutes (not a high traffic route either way, fortunately) but almost always park 10 minutes away so I’m not paying $10 plus for parking.

45. Tom in STL says:

I used to bike to work in Boston and it was faster than driving and about 10X faster than the bus… sometimes that dang bus would be an hour late, and it only took me 10 min to bike to work! With city traffic, bikes can definitely be faster… I just dont know about breathing in that exhaust. If I’m in a situation again where I bike through traffic on a daily basis I may start sporting a lil air filter mask as they do in China.

46. Nicolas says:

A car not only consumes gallons of gas, but also a considerable amount of money. I earn my money by exchanging it for work time. If a car costs an grand total of 7000$ a year, that represents 280 hours of work at 25$ per hour. That’s almost 6 hours of work every week spent on transportation, almost 1 hour every day.

Even if you save 10, 20 or 30 minutes every day driving, you’re actually spending more than you’re saving.

Riding to work is actually more pleasant for me. If, in addition, I can take more unpaid time off with my family (and I do!), then I’m winning!

47. Meghank says:

Cool, someone should make a calculator out of what Nicolas just said.

48. crudkin says:

I am a highschool student in a a very spread-out town. My commute to school is about 5 miles, but it’s a bit different than the average person’s commute. The first 2 miles are on a dirt road (we live on about 23 acres of private land.) I am trying to figure out a system to change bikes when I transition from dirt to pavement. I will most likely end up building a bike locker to place at the end of our road.
    In addition, I have about 400 feet of elevation difference to contend with. It works out perfect for me though: on the way to school it’s mostly downhill, allowing me to make better time and arrive without breaking too much of a sweat.
    Overall, it takes around twenty minutes on my bike. The same trip would take just over ten by car, but I don’t just look at the time saved. Commuting by bicycle has way more variables and benefits than just the time saved.

49. Matt@TMW says:

My take:
    tomorrowmorningsweather.blogspot.com

50. Juan says:

My commute is 18.5 miles, so it’s hard for me to ride faster than it is to commute. It really depends on the traffic conditions though. On really bad days, it has taken me about an hour to get to work by car. I can get to work in an hour on my commuter bike, but if I take my road bike I can get there in about 45 minutes. It takes quite an effort to do that, but like others have said, there is no greater satisfaction than passing a parking lot of cars on the road.

51. Franky says:

It really depends on the distance. I commute about twice a week with my bike (30 miles one way). With the car it takes between 35 minutes and during tourist season it can extend to 1 1/2 hours. On the bike it takes 2 hours.

52. locus says:

I’m another DC commuter. Fortunately, I live pretty close to work–about 2.2 miles. Even though I’ve got a number of mass transit options (bus + short walk, walk + Metro, bus + Metro), the fastest way there by far is by bike. I’ve timed it every single way and it always is the same–take the bike.

12-15 minutes by bike
    25-35 minutes any other way

53. Ralfieboy says:

My commute from the burbs to work is just shy of 15 miles (24 km) each way. I have done it it under 50 minutes on a road bike in favourable winds and traffic conditions. I average under an hour on my fully loaded Big Dummy.

I second what someone earlier posted. By commuting I skip going to the gym, gas station, oil changes, car service etc so I figure I am saving time and money doing this. I cannot quantify it exactly but I know I sleep better at least.

54. anonymous says:

See

For a brave biker zooming by car after car.

55. LosFelizRider says:

I got y’all beat :-) My commute is in Los Angeles and is 17 miles each way. Home = Los Feliz next to Griffith Park (for those who know LA). Work = 6th Street in Santa Monica, seven blocks from the Pacific Ocean. My route takes me through Hollywood, West Hollywood, Beverly Hills, West LA, and Santa Monica.

if you know LA, other than Santa Monica, that list of neighborhoods is daunting for a bicyclist. Hell, the route is daunting for a car driver! It’s some of the most congested, ill-surfaced, narrow-laned traffic in Los Angeles. Beverly Hills in particular is a nightmare.

Depending on traffic conditions, by car my commute to work takes one hour or more. Coming home after work is worse because the westsiders are going east to the Staples Center or Disney Concert Hall for the evening, so they join us eastsiders. Coming home, the drive can take two hours (yes, two hours for 17 miles). If this strikes you as absurd, you don’t live in Los Angeles.

By bicycle, this takes me 100 minutes. Reason: all the cars lining up at traffic lights and stop signs, waiting their turns. On bicycle, I “skip” to the front of the line at each intersection, then take my turn and head to the next intersection.

Honestly, it’s not a very pleasant ride because of all the [inattentive] traffic. But it’s often faster than driving. And, as every other poster has noted, it’s better for me and better for the planet.

Ride on!

56. jamesmallon says:

Even when your bike commute is not quicker, you save yourself a trip to the gym or the doctor, so there is a net time savings.

57. spike003 says:

I don’t own a car and bike commute 6.5 miles each way(mostly hills) here in Austin. It’s not about time saved for me, but I exercise, I feel like I’m 11 yrs. old EVERY morning, I build community, say “Howdy” to lots of people, give the head nod to fellow cyclists, see and stop to look at things on my trips, ride critical mass and moonlight rides. In a car you just think about yourself and can’t be bothered to talk to people or help if need be.
    I did a 12hr. day of hard work today, but I couldn’t wait to ride home!

58. Tim says:

My bike ride in Phoenix is almost exactly the same length as my car drive (7.55 miles versus 7.51 miles, respectively). Both routes follow almost exactly the same path as a result of bike lanes along the streets I use in the car to get to the freeway, and a paved, multi-use path that parallels the freeway to the exit ramp just a few blocks from my office. The car drive includes about 4 miles of freeway. The ride to work is slightly uphill. With the ups and down, there is an increase in elevation of about 150 feet.

Bike ride to work is right at 45 minutes. The ride home averages around 40 minutes. The car drive to work, if I leave early enough to beat the traffic, is only about 15 minutes. If I leave the house late, then the car drive to work stretches to about 20 to 25 minutes. The car drive home at rush hour takes about 25 to 30 minutes.

On the mornings I take the bike, I shower at a gym which is in the same building as my office. My company pays part of the cost of the gym membership. On the days I drive the car, if I stayed after work to work out at the gym, I would have to add at least an hour to my “time away from home for the day.” When I ride my bike, my work out time is combined with my commute time so I get to factor in almost a whole extra hour of “time for myself” for the day.

59. Jen says:

@LosFelizRider – DUDE!! I want your commute! I’m jealous!

As for the post at hand…my commute is a seven-minute drive and a twenty-minute ride. I’m fine with that.

60. Tim says:

My ride is about 25 min, and the drive is about 15 min, with at least 10 or more minutes added to find parking and then walk. I am a student and do not wish to pay $100′s for a parking garage. The bus is free and is a 30-40 minute trip, but I get to read a book, which is a good use of the time if I’m not in a particular hurry.
    All in all, it takes about the same amount of time to drive or bike, and the bus has its advantages, too.

61. I don’t have a commute per se (successfully unemployed!) but I know for sure I can ride through the City of Boston faster than most cars. I routinely pass a lot of cars and never see them catch up to me.

It’s especially faster than public transportation too.

62. LosFelizRider says:

Jen Says:
    July 5th, 2008 at 12:59 pm
    @LosFelizRider – DUDE!! I want your commute! I’m jealous!

If you really mean that, Jen, you are way more hardcore than I am. I’ll take your commute over mine.

:-)

Ride on!

63. Israel says:

Home to office is roughly 10km (~6mi). Driving, it takes me anywhere between 45 minutes to a ludicrous 2 hours (yes! my worst record yet! imagine that, 2 freakin’ hours to travel 10kms!!!).

Bike-commuting takes me, on the average, 35 minutes; 45-50 if I decide to take it slow.

I live in Metro Manila, the Philippines.