RideKick Electric Powered Bike TrailerXtracycle Bike Cargo Kits, Parts and AccessoriesBanjo Brothers Affordable Cycling GearCygoLite Bike Lights: Engineered to ShineBionX: Electrify Your BikeElectric Bike ReportPlanet Bike: Better bike products for a better worldMiiR Bottles one4oneBike Bag Shop -- Grocery, Shopping, Market PanniersOrtlieb Bike Bags & PanniersChrome Bike Backpacks and Messenger BagsCommuter Bike Store Fuji Cambridge

North America’s Most Bicycle-Friendly Cities

by Commute by Bike

ForbesTraveler.com:

Exhibit A: Portland, Oregon, just displaced Copenhagen as the #2 most bike-friendly city in the world. Exhibit B: In Davis, California, more people cycle to work than drive. Exhibit C: A growing number of Minneapolis residents continue to commute by bike through the winter.

keep reading…

This paragraph also struck me as interesting…

And, considering that the sales of upright urban cruisers continue to outpace all other bikes, city biking is here to stay.

Rock on! Let’s take bicycling back from the sports enthusiasts!

12 Responses to “North America’s Most Bicycle-Friendly Cities”

1. Juan says:

But what if we’re both?!?

2. Shiny Flu says:

[I]” biking won’t produce a single greenhouse gas or feed into the swollen crude-oil market.”[/I]

Just this evening when I put my bike away, I noticed how its coming-into-being of this world was not a result of oil-derived products or big ships and trucks moving bike parts and boxes around the world.

Yes Mr. Bower, have another chuff of the Stupid pipe, and share it with your fashonista ‘the bicycle is the new prada bag’ friend.

3. Matth says:

You say North America? And what about Montreal? For a long time in the 90s we had the biggest bike path circuit in the world. And now they are going at it again creating dozens of new bike lanes a year and expending current paths; such as the latest, which crosses the down town area and that has had a *huge* success being filled with riders at all time. Not to mention it’s the metropolis of Quebec, home of one of the longest touring oriented circuit with over 5000km worth of natural cycling beauty. And what about it’s 10,000 winter commuters in our rough winter; numerous enough that the city’s been giving out information flyers for cyclists and drivers over the winter. And what about the Tour De L’Ile event, which for it’s main event (~50km) has around 30,000 cyclists? And It’s countless LBS, and the nearly a half dozen bike builders (ok many not so much on the commuter side but Marinoni, Guru, Davinci, Argon 18, etc)… And a city where it’s estimated there are over one bicycle per two people (not riders though). I never see anything about all this and it saddens me. I guess Montrealers have almost taken it for granted and aren’t as militant (yet there is plenty of work to do). (Actually one of the only mentions I’ve seen about all this comes from our beloved Sheldon Brown who liked Quebec very much for touring and had created a couple pages about it on his site)

Let’s take bicycling back from the sports enthusiasts!

As much as I despise them (Team Poseurs!), I can’t help but say that I see countless commuters in road gear (chammy, jersey and clips)… People like sports cars… they also like sport bikes… I’ll even admit being guilty. I’m a commuter before all, but my commute is my sport. But hey, that’s just my 2 cents.

4. Matth says:

(I mainly despise them because over two third are really slow, and yet they’ll pass in front of you at the next red making you have to pass them yet another time)

5. Matth says:

Apparently I *failed* (at least for this time hehe)

As mentioned in the slideshow

North America’s most European city hosts the annual Bike Festival every June, boasting the most (35,000-plus) rider involvement in world. The festival stretches from Friday’s Un Tour la Nuit, the costume party cum critical mass cycling event, to the Tour de l’Ile de Montreal, an exclusively two-wheel ride through car-free city streets. Two hundred miles of bike trails also make the island Canada’s top cycling city. The city takes its top rank seriously, recently launching a $90 million (CDN) plan full of initiatives to equip all buses and taxis with bike racks, add hundreds of miles of paths and add five times the bike parking space. Most exciting, Montreal now offers Velo Quebec, the first Paris-style rental program of its kind in North America.

6. Andrew says:

Heck yes, Boulder’s #2! :D

7. Erik B. says:

Here here, Juan!

8. Shay says:

I, too, have to object to “taking back the sport” – can’t we all just get along? We’re all cyclists, we just approach it differently, with different gear for different goals. If we can’t get along with each other, how can we be effective advocates for bicycle rights – for ALL of us?

9. [...] take bicycling back from the sports enthusiasts

Wha? Isn’t there room for both?

Also, where’s Madison? Screw Forbes.

10. Gary K. says:

Some people only bike to hammer hills on weekends, and some only to get from A-B the easiest way possible. In between there I think is most people with a passion for bikes. I’ve started getting into racing, but I still cruise around town, pick up groceries and can equally enjoy intense and casual riding. I agree many shops cater far too exclusively to a sports market, and that should change, but this shouldn’t be a matter of taking back or us versus them. Market forces pulled bike shops toward sports since bike commuting was not a strong enough force. That has changed and they are slowly catching on, but it’s not bike shops fault everyone started driving 1 mile for a quart of milk.

11. Juan says:

My love for cycling turned almost immediatley into a passion for racing. Commuting for me was just a natural way to spend more time on the bike and train for races. This was back when gas was $1 a gallon, and people thought I was odd for riding to work. I don’t race anymore, but I still have all my old jerseys, and wear them while commuting (woo-hoo! they still fit!). Now gas is $4 a gallon and bicycle commuting is gaining in popularity, but it seems I’m still one of the odd ones if I don’t ride a city bike, or wear regular clothes…..the more things change, the more they stay the same.

12. California Bicyclist says:

California in 2007 enacted law AB-1581 for traffic-activated signals to recognize bicycles. Instead of waiting for the pending outcome of the legislation, City Hall in Newport Beach of Southern California actually set back signals to not recognize bicycles before the Governor of California signed the legislation. Newport Beach has a three mile road called Back Bay Drive through a nature preserve for water wildlife provided by the state government. The estuary includes a scenic roadway with a bike lane and only one-way for cars with a 15 mph speed limit. The left-turn signal to enter this scenic Back Bay Drive is probably used by a several hundred cyclists on summer weekends. California Law AB-1581 mandates traffic-activated signals on first placement or replacement be installed and maintained for recognizing bicycles and motorcycles. In past years, the Back Bay Drive left-turn signal had recognized bicyclists. But Civil Engineer Tony Brine and Traffic Technician George Barnard set back the left-turn signal to not trigger for bicyclists. In turn, the motorcycle officers of Newport Beach Police Department (NBPD) have made the signal into a citation revenue-generating unit from bicycles. It is a sight on a quiet Sunday afternoon with no traffic to watch a police officer hiding in the adjacent condominium driveway suddenly crouch down low on his motorcycle to chase a bicycle entering the nature preserve. I made the left turn during Christmas weekend on a cold afternoon with no traffic and a green light for through-traffic. The officer, David Darling, did not even tell me what the violation was. Instead he reprimanded me for not carrying my driver’s license and interrogated me about why I could not remember my car license plate number. The implication was that bicycles are used to generate revenue for vehicle violations. And the violator is left to prove in municipal court that the incident was on a bicycle and not with a car. Public Relations Lt. Steve Shulman sent me a two-page letter describing the police department’s policy of regarding bicyclists as vehicles for citations, but as pedestrians for left-turn lanes. The letter advocated that bicyclists try to trigger the left-turn arrow, and if unsuccessful, dismount to use crosswalks. The lieutenant also pointed out that citations are at the discretion of the officer. What bicyclist on a cold afternoon during Christmas has the discretion to test a left-turn arrow on a green light with no traffic in order to appease motorcycle officers trying to show productivity before catching a cup of hot coffee at headquarters just a half mile up the road? Newport Beach is an example of a city police department not just being bicycle-unfriendly, but resisting cyclists even if the state government has a law for traffic-activated signals to recognize bicycles. The police department collaborates with city hall and the municipal court to exploit bicyclists for traffic-signal citation revenue.