Chrome Bike Backpacks and Messenger BagsXtracycle Bike Cargo Kits, Parts and AccessoriesMiiR Bottles one4oneUtility Cycling - Use Your BicycleBionX: Electrify Your BikeOrtlieb Bike Bags & PanniersRideKick Electric Powered Bike TrailerBanjo Brothers Affordable Cycling GearCygoLite Bike Lights: Engineered to ShineBike Bag Shop -- Grocery, Shopping, Market PanniersCommuter Bike Store Breezer Greenway DX Hybrid Bike 24 Speed - 2011 ModelPlanet Bike: Better bike products for a better world

Sport Utility Bike

by Richard Masoner

Anthony and Nickie Stout live car-free in Longmont, Colorado with their two small children. Among their several bikes is the “Lllama” — a Surly Big Dummy with custom crafted rear seats that they use for camping trips in the Colorado Rocky Mountains Front Range.

Of the Big Dummy, Anthony writes:

it is remarkable how much less strategic this bike makes living car free. My wife and I had gotten rather accustomed to running errands strategically such that we could make the most of the cargo capacity of the kid trailer. This bike however makes that all a moot point. It can carry twice as much weight as the chariot trailer and far more volume. I’ve already toted a couple loads that friends with cars have commented “I’d have a hard time fitting that all in my car!!”.

They’ve recently crafted a raincover for the children.

Read more about the Stout family’s car free Colorado adventures at their blog, A Long Walk to Green

10 Responses to “Sport Utility Bike”

1. Siouxgeonz says:

That’s what I noticed with the Xtra. My feeble strategizing skills were finally sufficient to the task.
    When I parked my rental car Monday and had to go to the radio station downtown, I realized I didn’t really know how to navigate it by car between one-way streets and parking (I know how to navigate the one-way streets on the secondary bike route I take, but not from the artery)… I was so tired after driving from Nebraska that I just took the bike, because it was easier.

2. Juan says:

Go Longmont!! I can’t believe I’ve never seen you guys on the roads……a bike like that is hard to miss.

3. Stuart M. says:

That is a pretty bike. I wish I could get my wife to be as enthusiastic about biking as I am. She insists walking is better exercise, but then demands that I drive her in the car everywhere (she doesn’t have a driver’s license). I thought of getting a Yuba Mundo bike that is similar to the Big Dummy to cart her around on, but I know she will say no. So as the song goes, “ALL BY MYSELF….”

4. Dan says:

Will soccer moms start buying them to drive their kids around?

5. Anthony says:

Hey Juan, do you live here in Longmont as well?

Once my wife and I started reading up more thoroughly on peak oil, global warming, social responsibility, the justice side of my wife kicked right in, and now I think she’s a bigger bike nut than me ;)

6. Juan says:

Hey Anthony, I do live in Longmont….on the North side. My girlfriend and I commute into Boulder and saw a Big Dummy on the Diagonal the other week. It didn’t have the kid seats on it though, so it was probably another Big Dummy fan. I’ve been wanting one of those for awhile…right now I run my errands on my commuter bike with Townie style panniers. It would be nice to have the load capacity of a B-D though.

7. Anthony says:

That was probably me, I use it occasionally on my commute when I have to run some errands involving large loads, and I usually pop the kid seats off on those days.

We leave in Southwest Longmont by Airport and Nelson.

I commute the diagonal daily, you too? Which route through Longmont?

8. Juan says:

I take 17th to Airport Rd., then Airport to the Diagonal……I go right through your neighborhood. I’ll have to keep my eyes out for you…you should be easy to spot.

I’m on an older Trek cross bike with rack, trunk and full fenders. I usually wear my Bubba Burger jersey when it’s clean….I got it for free and it’s so comfortable that I don’t really care what it looks like. See you on the road!

9. Digital Dame says:

This is fabulous. I’m going to show this to a co-worker whose main excuse for not commuting his 3 (yes three) miles to work by bike is because of his two kids.

10. locus says:

Digital,

Tell your coworker, that’s BS. I pedaled my two kids in their trailer this morning on my way to work. The distance: approx. 3 miles.

Despite the August heat and swamplike DC atmosphere, it was relatively easy.