Chrome Bike Backpacks and Messenger BagsPlanet Bike: Better bike products for a better worldUtility Cycling - Use Your BicycleBike Tech Shop - The Experts on Cycling with CircuitryMiiR Bottles one4oneCygoLite Bike Lights: Engineered to ShineOrtlieb Bike Bags & PanniersBanjo Brothers Affordable Cycling GearCommuter Bike Store Fuji CambridgeRideKick Electric Powered Bike TrailerXtracycle Bike Cargo Kits, Parts and AccessoriesBionX: Electrify Your Bike

First Impression: Kona Dew Deluxe

by Commute by Bike

Ed – The following is a guest review done by Joe Daniels, our correspondent in the wintry north of Grand Rapids, Michigan. This is the first in a series of articles that will be his review of the Kona Dew Deluxe.

One of the joys of my life is exercise. I ride 3-4 times per week for fitness on a local trail and around town. I’ve also recently started using my bike for more commuting purposes. I love riding, and am excited to put the Kona Dew Deluxe through the paces over the next few months and give you my thoughts on how it rolls as a commuter and fitness bike.

The Dew Deluxe arrived last week. I had a local bike shop assemble it, true the wheels, and fine tune the derailleur. When I arrived to pick it up, one of the first things that grabbed me was the looks of the bike. The metallic gold that Kona chose for the Dew Deluxe has a bit of an orange tint which appeals to me. I love the simplicity of the frame and components, which is just what I am looking for in a bike.

My first experience was a ride up and down my street. I immediately felt the difference in the Kona versus the older hybrid-style bike I had been riding. The bike felt solid and smooth at every point. It seemed to dampen vibrations caused by bumps. The hydraulic disc brakes stopped the bike smoothly, quickly, and efficiently. The gears shifted effortlessly. I found myself going up and down my street over and over again just enjoying the ride.

My next two rides were two 20-mile trips on the White Pine Trail, a local walking and biking trail here in West Michigan. This same trip with my older bike used to wear me out and I’d have “nothing left in the tank” afterwards. After returning from both rides on the Kona Dew Deluxe, I was ready to ride more! Much of this is due to the efficiency and smoothness of the bike. It rolls effortlessly and the 24 gears seemed to be positioned perfectly. It was a total joy to ride, not to mention that I let my partner in the dust. The bike almost pulls aggression out of you to peddle harder and faster.

If there is anything I had to adjust to, it’s the single hand position and the seat. I am used to having bar ends on a bike, which offers me the opportunity to put my hands in several positions for rest and circulation. I found my wrists somewhat uncomfortable unless I moved them frequently. Also, the seat is a bit smaller than I had anticipated, yet it has sufficient padding. I wore my cycling shorts and was just fine.

After putting somewhere between 45-50 miles on the bike already, I have to say I’m liking the Dew Delux so far. I love the way it looks and the way it rides. Over the new few months I’ll be commuting with it much more and hitting the local trails as well. Some pictures and specs are below. Stay tuned for future updates…

MSRP: $699

Ritchey LB-Plus
FSA Alpha Drive
48/36/26
RPM 7420
Xerama SP-941S
Shimano 40
Shimano C Series (11-34, 8spd)
Shimano Altus
Kona Comfort
Kona RD
Kona QR
Metallic Blue
Kona Bell

BOB Trailer Sale

25 Responses to “First Impression: Kona Dew Deluxe”

1. Andrew says:

I have had a Dew (not deluxe) for several months. I love it, it’s held up very well, even though I’m not very good at taking care of it. I ride it every day as a commuter bike.

2. Randy says:

Go ahead and throw some bar ends on there — it’ll make a huge difference for your hands. Ergo-style grips may help as well.

FYI: The saddle in the photos is a WTB Speed V, and not a Kona Comfort as listed in the specs…

Looks like a sweet bike!

3. gil says:

I’ve had this bike for about a year and a half now, ride it almost every day between 10 and 40 kms and it’s still in great shape. The disc brakes need adjusting every now and then but that’s pretty easy. Highly recommended!

4. Dman says:

This looks like a perfect bike for me. For anyone else curious, the MSRP is $699 according to Kona’s website. That seems like a great deal to me.

Two questions:
    1) Does the fork have eyelets to mount fenders?

2) What’s the weight?

5. Dman says:

Well, I see now that the fork does have eyelets….but, can you get fenders on the bike or do the disc brakes cause some problems?

6. Matt says:

I commute about 10 mi. per day on a Dew FS that I bought in May. I love it. I kitted it with bar ends, Planet Bike fenders, a rear rack and a Serfas Rx saddle.

7. I got a 2008 Kona Dew FS exactly 1 year ago. LOVE the bike. I wrote up a briefish mini review of the first year with the bike.

8. marc says:

i’ve had a regular dew since 2005 and it is an awesome commuter. i’ve logged around 1k miles on it, before shelving it in favor of a long-distance rider. recently i’ve gone back to school and so the kona is out again. it’s perfect because it’s high quality but not super-flashy enough to get stolen.
    two thumbs up. way, way up.

9. koekiemoon says:

I’m riding on a kona dr dew ’07 for two years now. I use it for commuting, travelling and so much more. It’s a great ride, very reliable and beautiful. No complaints at all.

10. Rob says:

I have a Dew Plus and am thinking about changing the tires and going with something thinner (and faster). I’ve been looking at the Armadillo but not sure which size is best for the bike. I have the standard Continentals that came with the bike on now.
    Can I go with a 26 or 28?
    Thanks,

11. Giovanni says:

I have a Dew Deluxe 2006 (a metallic blue one) with Hayes mechanical disc brakes (fantastic stopping ability). I bought it in mid 2007 when I was looking for a good all-round bike that will take me where ever I wanted to go. I have been very happy with it considering my first choice was for a Jake the Snake (but couldn’t afford it), the Dew Deluxe looked like the next best thing and boy has it been. Great for commuting to work and back (33km round trip 3 days a week), weekend rides and I’m looking forward to getting a set of cyclocross tires and see how it handles some fire roads and singletracks.

12. Jim OBrien says:

Can I ask where you ordered you Kona from? This bike is $200 less thatn the next closest competitor but I don’t have a kona dealer in the area.

13. Jon says:

Will there ever be a followup on this first impression? Others were promised, but i can’t find them… Thanks

-Jon

14. Rob says:

I have been riding a 08 Dr. Dew for over a year now and wouldn’t give it up for anything. I primarily bought it for commuting (25 km each way) but find myself using it on the weekends for group rides. Love it. I outfitted it with bar-ends and put on some Crank-Bros pedals. Highly recommend.

15. Joe Daniels says:

I got it from Village Bike Shop…a bike store chain here in Grand Rapids.

16. Joe Daniels says:

YES! There will be a follow up t this “First Impression” review. It has ben submitted and it’s very lose to being posted. Winter hit early and hard..and was long. I’ve now had MANY more rides and miles put on it. I should be submitting at least 3 more articles!

17. Joe Daniels says:

There’s no doubt…the Kona Dew is the real deal. This is a wonderful bike all around!

18. Martin Jones says:

I’ve got a 2008 Dew Deluxe, have done around 3500 km since late last year commuting. Overall I love the bike! But have had a few minor problems. The bottom bracket needed replacing quite quickly (after around 2000km) and the rear brake has meant it’s been in and out of my LBS numerous times (Shimano 485s)…I see the model here has the newer 486s, so maybe I’ve just been unlucky. Its in my LBS at the moment awaiting a replacement rear brake, which I’m hoping Shimano are replacing free of charge due to a fault with them (tiny leakage of oil through the calipers). So hopefully by next week I’ll be back on the road! Looking forward to the follow up articles!

19. Allie says:

Gorgeous color of the bike! Sounds like a sweet ride too.

20. michael says:

I had been looking for the perfect bike to commute to work/school with and do the occasional charity ride for the next 30 years. The Dr. Dew is the answer so far. I have over 500 miles on it in the 3 weeks since I purchased it and it is awesome. It is not a light carbon framed race/road bike BUT it is awesome at climbing the Ozark Mountains here in Missouri even with weight on the rack.
    The bike I had before the dew was a road bike with drop bars and I really wanted the dew drop, but the LBS out of it and the Dr. was all they had. I snatched it up, cut the bars down and put drop bar, bar ends on it. It is fantastic! I have been riding it to school every day this summer, rain or shine to my Masters’ classes, and the Dr. is awesome! If you want drop bars, cutting down the flat bars and adding drop ends honestly perform as well for tucking into the wind. You then situate the brake levers so that you acitave them by raising your thumbs. You can shift and brake from the drop position as easily as you could with regular drop bars and brakes and shifters.
    Can you tell, I love the Dr. Dew. I have easily cut off about 10 minutes in my commute time with the Dr. ! It is awesome.

21. Nancy says:

If there is anything I had to adjust to, it’s the single hand position and the seat. I am used to having bar ends on a bike, which offers me the opportunity to put my hands in several positions for rest and circulation.I like this page.

22. Dre says:

Thanks for the review. I love the Kona Dew Deluxe series.

If anyone wants to check out a review of the 2011 model, heres a link to my review:

23. Peter says:

Iv had my Kona Dew Delux for a couple of years now.I have added fenders a Brooks b17 saddel,bar ends,Bontrager rack with trunk.Ride it almost every day and have done a few multi day cycle tours pulling my Bob trailer.Great bike I have a couple of other bikes to choose from but always ride my Kona.Get one you be wont be dissapointed.

24. Paddy Morris says:

I have a Dew Plus and love it. Swapped out the stock seat for a Brooks leather seat and it is perfect.

25. Paco says:

Hi
    I had and have a lot of DEW´s.
    I had the most Dr.Dew´s, two Dew FS for having fun on trails and a Super Dew for go fast to work and back. I ride them all with the on one Mary bar or FSA Metropolis bar
    I think it is the best bike for commuting and the best “Do it all bike”.
    I am the biggest fan of the Dew family.
    PS: I like this page too and sorry for my bad English.