MiiR Bottles one4oneBike Tech Shop - The Experts on Cycling with CircuitryOrtlieb Bike Bags & PanniersElectric Bike ReportXtracycle Bike Cargo Kits, Parts and AccessoriesBionX: Electrify Your BikeBanjo Brothers Affordable Cycling GearRideKick Electric Powered Bike TrailerChrome Bike Backpacks and Messenger BagsCommuter Bike Store Fuji TahoePlanet Bike: Better bike products for a better worldCygoLite Bike Lights: Engineered to Shine

Dallas readers, prepare to go multi-modal

by Warren T

DallasNews.com reports: Dallas transit agency to add bike racks to buses.

I get down to Dallas a few times a year and have yet to see anyone biking to work. I know you’re out there and perhaps DART’s putting bike racks on their busses will help get more people out.

“By New Year’s Eve, 650 Dallas Area Rapid Transit buses are expected to offer bicycle commuters greater convenience.”

The article includes a brief portrait of a multi-modal commuter who currently brings his bike onto the bus. It would seem that the racks will go a long way to make everyone happier.

The article also includes the customary swipe at people who wear cycling kit:

“We’re not marketing it to the so-called spandex crowd, [but] people like me who ride a bicycle on Saturdays,” he said. All commuters, however, will be welcome to use the new racks.”

Sheesh. Stop with the hatin’ cotton-poly wearer.

BOB Trailer Sale

12 Responses to “Dallas readers, prepare to go multi-modal”

1. Paul in Minneapolis says:

When I read about this, I thought “Wow, a big city just now putting bike carriers on busses. That must be a really car-crazy city!” No matter, I glad to see signs of bicyclists’ numbers going up in the US. Hopefully, we are getting closer to when these cities start educating motorists about bicycles!

2. RecessMonkeys says:

Good initiative. They do it here in Cambridge, Ontario, where I live. And I doubt if there will be a flood of LYCRA-wearers strapping their $4000 Orbeas to the front of a bus.

3. Paul in McKinney says:

I would love to use DART to get to the office, but their service does not extend far enough north. I do use their light-rail for downtown trips.

I did see one of the buses yesterday with a bike rake on the front. I wonder how much time the driver gives you to attach/detach your bike? I’d hate to hop of the bus and find the driver zipping off to his next stop with my bike still attached!

4. Tony Bullard says:

You can’t wear clothes that tight and not expect to get some jabs.

5. Will in Dallas says:

@Paul in McKinney

Communication is key. The best way not to be left bike-less at the bus stop is to get off through the front door, and tell the driver you have a bike on the rack as you go by. I used to drive buses (not for DART, obviously) and have taken several bikes on a scenic tour after their owners left silently via the back door…

6. Cliff says:

Where one of the city council members is reported as saying “None on the people in my district want to ride bikes”

Where I was asked to leave the Light rail because in three or four stops we will be too full and people will get dirty because of the chain.

I would be more concerned with putting my bike on the rack and having the driver leave me before I can get on.

7. Omaha will have 100% of its buses fitted with bike racks within the next two weeks. Yesterday the transit authority invited the public to their headquarters to try the racks and to ask questions. You some photos of the event at my blog linked above.

8. LBJ's Love Child says:

Cliff said: “Dallas is also the Major City where they took up the only 500 feet of bike lane in the county because the cars needed the room.”

You mean the non-conforming, bi-directional on-street trail, with cars going in the opposite direction of cyclists at 50 mph? The Major City that built a $1.5 million bridge to replace that on-street section, just for cyclists and runner who use that trail.

Care for some cheese with that whine?

9. Cliff says:

Have you noticed that the bridge that they did build is for walkers there are two 90 degree turns in order to get on that bridge, and secondly the bridge is so narrow that two bikes can hardly pass each other if there are any people walking on it.

And yes a nice piece of Brie, please since you asked.

10. LBJ's Love Child says:

Cliff,

The width of the bridge is 12″ (which is the AASHTO standard and the same width as the trail, as well as being the same width as the bridge at the other end of White Rock Lake), with turn aprons that allow a turn to be made without going into the opposite lane.

Do you have to slow down? Yes. It’s a trail, not a velodrome. Any other design would have more than doubled the cost.

You don’t like the pedestrians on the bridge? You sound a lot like the car drivers on Mockingbird Lane.

True, you may believe that an on-street trail with 50 mph opposite flow traffic 4 feet away was a safe design, but you’d be wrong. That was meant to be a temporary facility because it violated every recognized safety and design standard.

11. Cliff says:

LBJ’s Love Child;

Is that you PM?

Actually I never had opposition traffic on Mockingbird because I went that way around the lake. Not a Problem.

The bridge is not a problem for me because I don’t use it, I do West Lawther first go around and get to the bridge and then turn around and ride back around the lake. Not a problem.

The only time I did ride the bridge I was only going slightly faster than the minimum necessary to stay upright and a toddler broke away from his distracted parents and almost put his hand in my spokes, fortunately I swerved and stopped.

Yes the bridge is the same width as the trail but there is no grass field on either side to give you more escape room.

I have been commuting in Dallas since we knew each other back in the Early 90′s I still ride 30 miles a day on the city streets and I do agree that they are all bike paths. However in a year where Dallas is listed as last in bicycle frendlyness removing the only bike path was ironic.

I still have not seen any of the bike racks on the buses and the DART trains with accommodation for bikes are not on the route I would need to take. Publicity yes change NO.

12. tom miller says:

The Mockingbird bike / hike bridge is a diseaster. It’s common for pedestrians walking 2 abreast in both directions, holding faster runners and bikers hostage. Pedestrians with dogs take up at least 1/2 of bridge so no passing.

Had similar experience as Cliff today were 6 year old on bike make sharp turn across lane, requiring full lockup to avoid collision.

Pedestrians do whatever they want wherever they want at White Rock.