Electric Bike ReportBanjo Brothers Affordable Cycling GearRideKick Electric Powered Bike TrailerCygoLite Bike Lights: Engineered to ShineChrome Bike Backpacks and Messenger BagsCommuter Bike Store Fuji TahoeXtracycle Bike Cargo Kits, Parts and AccessoriesPlanet Bike: Better bike products for a better worldMiiR Bottles one4oneOrtlieb Bike Bags & PanniersBike Tech Shop - The Experts on Cycling with CircuitryBionX: Electrify Your Bike

Yahoo’s purple bikes

by Richard Masoner

Yahoo created a small fleet of purple bicycles equipped with a camera, GPS receiver, cell phone and (solar) power for this gear and deployed the bikes around the world to chronicle their journeys. The cameras take a photo every 60 seconds and post them automatically with geo tags to Flickr, where you can see the photos overlayed on maps, such as this one from the FlickrHQ bike in San Francisco.

Much more on Yahoo’s Purple Pedals at the obnoxiously Flash heavy Start Wearing Purple site.

The Chariot Summer Sale - 2013

16 Responses to “Yahoo’s purple bikes”

1. That’s a cool idea, though what’s the deal with startwearingpurple? Did Yahoo try to get a meme going around purple and yahoo? I don’t quite get it but that bike is cool. I want one!

2. Stuart M. says:

I think its a “Townie.” Xtracycle will sell you one with a longtail extension on it.

3. Ah, that’s cool but I specifically want one with the Yahoo photo taking and uploading to satellite every 60 seconds with GPS geo-tags camera. Now, if someone is selling that there’s no way I can afford it so never mind.

;)

4. Mikael says:

I got one! I’m riding around Copenhagen on it. Cooool.

5. Why not equip the bike with a hub dynamo to recharge the battery?

6. DL Byron says:

We just updated our post on it — it’s a larger “Purple” campaign and I’m expecting more inventions to follow. What was cool, was to spot in in Dunstan’s (flickr) photostream and watch it roll out. Bikes has been sent to Metafilter, Copenhagen Chic, et al.

7. fixedgear says:

Hub generator would have been the killer ap, not sure why they didn’t do it. It has an AC charger if you run the batteries completely dead, but what about a night ride?

Yes, Yahoo has a new campaign, they are reworking their home page, etc.

8. Christine says:

Cute. Tres cute. Be nice if more than the camera and GPS were powered by solar energy!
    Mostly it is pointless, cute, but pointless!

9. cyngl says:

yes I agree just another pointless marketing gimmick.

would be more interesting if each time the bikes were exchanged person to person to see how far they would range in a given period of time. however, most likely they would be stolen and that would defeat the marketing purpose.

10. Tonya says:

I’m getting very frustrated with complicated graphics websites. I wanted to look at the website for the bike, but it overloaded my poor computer and took FOREVER to load. I never read/buy things from sites with annoying graphics and swirling colors. It’s irritating and unnecessary. If I wanted to look at cool graphics, I would watch television. Simple is better.

Ever hear the expression that less is more?

11. eye emailed the purple bike story
    it did not send to my inbox

eye am not im mozilla
    and eye think eye spelled the address write

it must be my fault
    it could never be YAHOO

HAHAHAHHAHHAAHAHHAH
    eye love yew YAHOO and ewe and you

12. Katya says:

Am in total agreement with Tonya regarding all of the time-consuming graphics. I have tried to find out how to purchase the bike, but all I keep getting are stories on how the idea came to fruition and a guy riding the bike around.

That’s really bad marketing. The VERY FIRST THING should be where to purchase the bike. I don’t really care how the idea happened. Ideas happen all the time to everyone. So what?

13. Mikael says:

Sounds like some people need better internet connections.

The purple pedals campaign is a MARKETING campaign, not a SALES campaign. The bikes are not for sale. Yahoo only produced 20 of them.

14. Francesca says:

hei guys,
    I have some questions….
    how do i get a purple bike?Are purple bikes to buy or to rent?
    how much does it cost?
    Will they trace every movement made by the user?

Francesca – they’re not available for purchase.

16. Francesca says:

Ok, so…how do i get on a purple bike?
    they are available to rent?