CygoLite Bike Lights: Engineered to ShineBanjo Brothers Affordable Cycling GearCommuter Bike Store Breezer Uptown InfinityMiiR Bottles one4oneXtracycle Bike Cargo Kits, Parts and AccessoriesOrtlieb Bike Bags & PanniersChrome Bike Backpacks and Messenger BagsElectric Bike ReportRideKick Electric Powered Bike TrailerBike Bag Shop -- Grocery, Shopping, Market PanniersPlanet Bike: Better bike products for a better worldBionX: Electrify Your Bike

Interbike: The Loring – an affordable, practical side of Civia

by Commute by Bike

Last year Civia caused quite the stir when they launched their brand with the Hyland line that started at $2500 and quickly went up. After giving the Hyland a ride I was less than impressed with the comfort and versatility of the bike. However this year Civia is releasing their new line, the Loring. A gorgeous bike that is much more practical for most riders.

Civia designed the Loring with trips of 2-5 miles in mind. It’s a perfect grocery getter and townie bike that is extremely beautiful.

Where the Hyland focused on high-speed performance over comfort, the Loring hits the mark for comfort with a steel frame and upright riding style.

The bike comes stock with the bamboo plank fenders and racks. and has post mount disc brakes to keep the lines of the bike looking nice. They dropped the sliding drop out idea for simplicity and to keep cost down and they offer a 3-speed and 9-speed version with SRAM’s popular I-motion internal hub system.

The prices of the Loring are also much more on the affordable side and I think are definitely worth it for the combination of comfort, performance and beauty.

MSRP’s:

9-Speed Complete: $1610

3-Speed Complete: $1380

Frame/Fork: $650

Bamboo Fenders (full coverage): $80

Front Rack: $145

Rear Rack: $80

Also available for the first time from Civia is their new branded Ortlieb bags.

The bags are water proof, work as panniers on the rear rack, have reflective bits and will MSRP for approx $110.

11 Responses to “Interbike: The Loring – an affordable, practical side of Civia”

1. Jared says:

I remain unimpressed with Civia.

2. Shek says:

That is a high cost for a grocery getter. I don’t get it. $1400 to $1600!
    Am I missing something?
    How about a cheap and sturdy dutch bike. City bike sales will go through the roof with rising fuel prices.

What does this bike have that the Simple City does not? You can even get a new Xtracycle longtail complete bike and haul more than just groceries at cheaper prices.

3. Chris Cowan says:

I don’t get this bike either but I guess I’m not the target demographic. I think the the target audience is people who drive BMW but want to be “Green” by riding their bike to the local Whole Foods to get some groceries. For someone who has a lot of disposable income $1400 ~ $1600 is not much money. Especially for guys/gals who have a $10,000 full carbon road bike.

4. Noah says:

I’ll echo the sentiment. It’s a step in the right direction at best.

I’m going to throw waaaay back to the “bicycle shops share the blame” discussion. We need more bike shops showing how easy it is to accessorize their entry-level offerings for commuting. I’d be a lot more tempted to look at a Trek FX with fenders, lights a lock and rack, all pre-assembled with the cost of accessories rolled in, than I would be to look at things over $1000 (like the Portland or a Civia Loring)

With that out of the way… is this a one-size-fits-most unisex mixte or what? I love the lines, if nothing else.

5. Looks a whole lot like the original Specialized Globe, which was a flop at the what, $500 price point?

6. acline says:

[This comment is aimed at the company...not the blogger.]

$1600 and no chain guard?

Too funny.

Speaking as town-biker and short-distance commuter who uses a bicycle as daily basic transportation, this bike is certainly nice to look at but appears to offers frills instead of substance. There are many appropriate town bikes by good companies for half the price that beat this hand down.

Bamboo fenders? Oh, brother.

7. Tim Grahl says:

The reason I like the Loring is because it’s an extremely beautiful bike that has some great specs as well.

Yes, absolutely, if you’re looking to get the most features/specs/whatever for you buck, then Civia isn’t for you. However, there is a large group of people that will pay extra to own something beautiful.

Think Macbook Air. The specs are crap for the price, but their are a) hipsters who will buy it cause it’s cool and b) people that are willing to pay extra just to have something beautiful.

These are the people Civia is going after. People that want a great bike and are willing to pay extra to have something beautiful.

If I had disposable income, I would surely look hard at the Loring for the bamboo racks, beautiful paint job and all the extras.

8. Jared says:

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I personally think it’s sinfully ugly.

9. Shek says:

I dont see the beauty either. Maybe it looks better in person. Most bikes do.

10. Shiny Flu says:

These bikes are an excellent example of the devolution of the idea that riding a bike can lessen one’s global foot print.

We all know how and where most/all the bits and pieces to build and maintain our bikes come from. The only people that will be stupid enough to purchase one of these ugly bikes will only use the bike to ‘be cool’ (since owning a pretty bike is the latest trend- to be ‘green’). By that I mean this bike wont be ridden enough to make all the energy and pollution that went into creating it, worth it.

Utter complete wasteful consumerism for consumers that consume but don’t use. Period.

11. Jared says:

@Shiny Flu: I couldn’t have said it better myself. Greenwashing in the bike industry.